Chapter 7: 𝑩𝒐𝒖𝒏𝒅𝒆𝒅 𝒃𝒚 𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒔 𝒐𝒇 𝑹𝒆𝒈𝒓𝒆𝒕

[[ Trigger Warnings ⚠️ ]]

•••

"Tag, you're it!" I pinched Naven's arm and dodged his hand when he immediately tried to tag me back.

He fell into a puddle, shaking his head with a smile on his face, "Damnit, Kaia."

I started to climb up a tree, sticking my tongue out at him, "Slow poke."

He clenched his jaw, "You didn't."

I mouthed, "I did.... Clumsy."

He got up from the mud and started sprinting towards me, grabbing me from the tree.

I squealed, "Okay! Okay! Put me down!" I kept hitting his back.

"I don't know if I should," he held me and wrapped my legs around his waist.

He put my back to the tree. Its leaves sheltering us both from the heavy rain.

"Not going to put me down?" I.smiled, smoothing a hand over his strong chin. He actually let me touch him.

"I don't want to let you go, Kaia."

Though he knew I was happy, he could sense more than my emotions. He could also sense my intentions.

"Don't leave me," he said, and before I could respond, his lips crashed against mine.

Our tongues intertwined and my robe started to fall off my shoulders. The more sensational I felt, the heavier it rained.

It thundered.

A small whine left my lips when he breathlessly pulled back.

He kissed below my chin, "Not here," he whispered then put me down quickly.

The storm stopped and it went back to sprinkling.

I tried my best not to show any attitude in my face, but I couldn't help it. I wanted it to drag on longer.

He smirked before he gave me a knowing look, "Don't forget, Kaia. I'm still your captain."

•••

"Must we go back so suddenly?"

"Stop complaining. You'll catch a cold out here, Kaia, and this is no place to be at night."

He held my hand as he carried the lamp in his other, with his book and tea cup resting in his arm.

I looked down at the swords strapped around his waist, giggling. "I can't believe I got to witness you in pajama pants."

He looked at me and decided to not give me a smart remark, smiling at the excitement on my face.

"Kaia...you look better when you really smile."

I stopped processing for a moment.

"Oh, y-yeah you too," my heart started to beat.

That feeling of love again.

It started pouring.

He glanced at me, "All excited over one compliment?! We have to get out of here."

I laughed as he bent down and I jumped onto his back.

This moment was one I never wanted to end.

•••

He stopped running after a second, not even making it a few feet.

I whined, "Aww come on piggy-"

"Shhh."

Then...I heard it too. Marching, but it wasn't the thunder in the clouds.

Suddenly the moon vanished and the sky turned dark gray. It stopped raining.

He looked back at me and put me down, "Go. Now!"

"Naven..."

"You're scared, I know. But you need to g-"

The trees started to tumble down and my head began to feel dizzy.

This, I knew, was fear.

I didn't want to die anymore.

•••

"Honey, tell that girl to quit playing! She'll flood this whole world!" I heard my father yell.

"She's just a little girl, Dante!" My mother cried, and I never forgot the sound of her wailing when she hit the floor.

"Go tell your damn daughter to go to sleep! Understand?"

She wanted to tell him I was his daughter too, but there was too much in the unknown of what he could do to her, or even worse, to me.

"Yes," she responded.

Smack.

"Yes, what?" he hissed.

She buried her face in her hands, "Yes, sir."

I hurried and ran from the wall I was peeking from.

After a minute, my mother came in my room. That fake smile spreading across her face.

"Is something wrong mommy?"

"No buttercup," she sat beside me on my bed and held me close, rubbing my arm.

"My sweet, sweet baby. I'm so sorry..."

What was she apologizing for?

"All your toys are going to be given to other kids, alright?"

"Why mommy?!"

"Sweetie..." she sighed, "have you ever realized that when you're having fun, it rains?"

"What are you talking about?"

She couldn't explain it, "Rainfall...it's beautiful, but you don't understand the tragedy it brings here."

"But it doesn't cause any harm," I looked up with tears in my eyes.

She couldn't keep this going forever.

For her sake, she had to keep me from being discarded by other men and women, because she wouldn't be here much longer with me.

If they believed it was my emotions causing the rain and the monsters, then she'd have to kill all my happiness at once.

She held my face and told me a lie that I've never stopped believing.

"People die when you're happy."