Chapter 8: 𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝑫𝒂𝒏𝒈𝒆𝒓 𝑰𝒏𝒔𝒊𝒅𝒆 𝒐𝒇 𝑴𝒆

"Kaia!" Naven shouted and grabbed my wrist.

I had flashbacks of my father, shaking again, "Leave me alone! Let me go Nav-"

I was thrown, but it wasn't out of trying to hurt me. I knew, because Naven wouldn't be lying on the ground with a tree on his leg if he did.

"Naven!!!"

My mother's words haunted me now.

"People die when you're happy, Kaia."

No... No..

The clouds vanished and the moon began to shine again.

"I hate myself," I mumbled. "Not him, pl-"

Naven managed to move the heavy branch from his leg, sticking his sword in the ground to help himself up, "Shut up with the negative murmurs Kaia."

He grunted.

I was about to run towards him but he shouted, "Stay back Kaia. Take my horse and leave back to your dorm!"

I saw those ugly beasts approach from behind him.

"Naven, I can't. I-"

"I've had too many comrades die right after it rains, it's why I can't stand it," he said suddenly, knowing it would tear me apart.

Not him too...

What happened to the kiss we both shared? The dancing? The unspoken words?

"You'll only bring me pain if you stay. Just go Kaia," he limped and turned around, going towards the direction of the monsters.

What happened to no one loathing me for being happy?

Was this what it felt like to have my heart crushed against my chest?

Once more, I forgot how to smile and I ran to hop onto his raven haired horse.

I didn't know where I was going, but it sure as hell wasn't back to headquarters.

This town was better off without me.

•••

I packed my stuff from my dorm and gathered some food, before going back outside.

The moon was still shining its brightest aura.

I really am a rain devil, I thought.

I smiled weakly as the horse rubbed her head against my cheek.

"What do you say? Are you good to go?" I asked the horse, and she neighed.

I put my cloak on, before hopping onto the saddle, and off I went into whatever else the world awaited me with.

•••

I woke up from my long nap on Naven's horse, squinting as you saw the sun.

I was in the middle of a village and people were staring at me.

I hid my face with my hood.

"Stop scaring the poor girl and get back to your duties!" I heard a woman with a scratchy voice call out.

They all averted their eyes and kept moving about their day.

I looked back to see an old black lady with a cane in her hand. She came up to me and offered me a hand, "Come with me young ma'am, you look hungry."

"No, no. I'm fi-"

She rose an eyebrow, looking at my rough physique, "I know that look all to well. Come on now. The horse will be fine. Kids around here love to feed random animals."

I then saw a bunch of little children already coming to pet the horse and I managed to give them half a smile, "Okay."

I got down and followed her into a tent.

"Go on now, don't just stand there. Sit." she said as she peeked around before zipping the tent.

I sat on a small cushion and when I looked back at the old woman...she was no longer old.

"Hi," she said as her long white hair started to float before falling to her back. A peculiar yellow light glowing around her.

"I'm Liara. Princess of the sun."