Then, Now, Forever

"Lily?" Sophie said my name walking up behind me in Jessica's living room at our rehearsal dinner the night before our wedding.
She stood in a pink satin A-line dress with a small silver box in her hands.
"What's that, my friend?" I smiled at her.
"I went through the last box from Eve's apartment last night and I found this." She handed me the box.
"What is it?" I asked looking at the box in my hands.
"I don't know. There's a card though." She shrugged.
A small white card attached to the wrapping paper with a single piece of clear tape. My name printed in Eve's handwriting.
I took a deep shaky breath before opening the card.
For your 'Something New'
I remember how upset you were about not being able to find it. I know a guy. ;)
Love you, girl.
Love,
Eve
I unwrapped the box already knowing what it was. Tom Ford Tuscan Leather Intense Eau de Parfum.
"I, uh... A week before our engagement party Eve and I were at the loft talking about plans and I mentioned that this was the perfume I wanted to wear for the wedding but I couldn't find it." I explained quietly staring at the black box in my hand.
"Thank you, Sophie. Thank you for finding this." Tears stung the back of my eyes.
"I miss her too, Lil." She said hugging me tight.
"Lily?" Dani's voice pulled me from my thoughts as we sat with Jessica, Sophie and Ainsley in the back of the limousine on the way to Winter Rose Castle.
"Hmm?" I turned to face her as she sat directly next to me.
I felt incredibly glad that I'd chosen cry-proof mascara as a rogue tear trailed down my cheek.
"Are you doing okay?" She asked gently touching my arm.
"Yeah. Yeah." I smiled shaking my head softly.
My hair tickling my bare back styled into a twisted crown braid half updo.
"You've been staring out the window awhile." She smirked at me reaching up to wipe the tear from my face.
"I was thinking about Eve." I admitted looking over at Sophie who smiled warmly at me.
"We all miss her." She said with a small nod.
She and Ainsley wore gold floor length a-line dresses with thin straps and a v-neckline.
"It just feels like the day is moving so fast. I want to cherish every second but it's all just a blur."
"I hear that's normal." Dani said squeezing my forearm gently.
Dani's maid of honor dress, nearly identical to Sophie and Ainsley's dresses except for a thigh high slit and off the shoulder sleeves.
"It is. When I married Martin it was a complete whirlwind. All of the sudden, I was standing outside the church on my daddy's arm ready to walk down the aisle." Jessica said smiling at me, her gold mother of the groom dress had lace three quarter off the shoulder sleeves and a sweetheart neckline.
Despite what Martin had done in the time since, she had truly loved him when she married him and he did give her two children she adored.
Our limousine turned down the driveway leading to the large castle like mansion lined with still lit blue Christmas trees. At just after nine on New Years eve the castle lay mostly empty anticipating our arrival. Malcolm and the groomsmen would arrive within the hour.
We walked into the gold ballroom where we'd hold our roughly two hour long reception after the ceremony while the roughly one hundred and fifty guest were seated in the grand hallway. A large diamond chandelier hung in the exact center of the room. Most of the tables set up in a square with a large empty space near  the double staircase for the pictures.
"It's fine. It feels fine." I insisted as my loving bridesmaids worried over my dress.
I twirled just to prove a point.
My diamond satin A-line ballgown skirt spun with me and my fitted V-Neck bodice shined under the florescent lights.
"Let's get some solo pictures of our bride then we'll do the 'something blue, borrowed, and used." Our photographer, Kelly Stewart said before guiding me through various poses throughout the ballroom.
"Okay, Dani first." Kelly motioned her forward.
"'Something Blue'." Dani handed me a long, thin jewelry box.
I already wore diamond drop earrings with a matching necklace and bracelet.
I opened the box to find an elegant women's diamond encrusted watch with sapphire accents.
"It's beautiful, Dani." I smiled at her.
"My uncle's a jeweler." She smiled helping me fasten the watch onto my left wrist.
"It's perfect."
Kelly ushered Jessica forward to switch places with Dani.
"'Something Old'." She smiled handing me the box.
A vintage scroll bridal tiara sat on a pink pillow inside.
"My mother wore this when she married my father. She was convinced it clashed with my wedding dress when I married Martin so I didn't wear it which in hindsight was probably for the best considering how that worked out but I think it'll help finish your look." She told me as I lifted it gingerly from the box.
She helped me fasten it in my hair and took a step back to look at me.
"I was right. It's perfect." She smiled wiping a rogue tear from her eye.
"Thank you, Jessica." I reached forward and hugged her.
"One day you'll pass it along to your daughter or the one destined for your son." She winked at me.
"Okay. Gil, it's your turn." Kelly motioned him forward.
"I have something for you for your 'Something Borrowed'." He said almost shyly handing me a medium long thin box.
Inside was a glittered sheer veil. Gil helped me fasten it in the tiara I wore. The back of the veil brushed the back of my ankles.
"Jackie wore this to our wedding in 2000. I know she'd want you to wear it tonight." He smiled at me.
"It's perfect." I smiled back at him.
Kelly guided me through another dozen solo portraits then posed with my bridesmaids followed by Jessica then Gil.
Finally, a full group picture with Gil, Jessica, Dani, Ainsley, and Sophie.
"Malcolm and the others are arriving." Jessica said.
"Mrs. Whitly, will you ask the groomsmen to come in for their pictures with Lily? We'll finish off with one large group photo around Lily." She looked around the room.
"Now, if you'll retire to the bridal suite while we take Malcolm's solo pictures before the ceremony?" She asked me after the last of my pictures were complete.
"Of course."
I walked alone down the hallway then into the bridal room lost in thought.
"Stacy told me once she thought you'd be a bridezilla." Jessica said gently shaking me from my thoughts.
"My mother never really knew me. Both of my parents always thought the worst of me. My entire life." I smiled sadly at her.
"Yet, you still wish they were here?" She asked.
"Part of me does. Yes." I nodded.
"I think that's only natural. Every woman wants their mother to help them plan their wedding and their father to walk them down the aisle."
"Gil has been more of a father to me than Todd Russell ever was." I sighed shaking my head.
"I'm sorry, Lily. This is supposed to be a happy day." She frowned.
"No, Jess. It's okay. It was bound to come up today. The best people I've ever known are here with Malcolm and I today. In body or in spirit, that's what matters." I smiled at her.
She smiled back at me.
"We're almost ready to start." Dani said walking into the room and handing me my bouquet of twenty-two white roses and twenty-two diamond flower accents.
"Are you ready?" Gil asked walking up behind Dani.
"Never been more ready for anything." I smiled.
Gil offered me his arm and lead me to an area just out of sight to watch as the processional lined up just outside the large wooden doors leading to the grand hallway.
The hallway easily accommodated our hundred and fifty guests, the gold aisle runner and an obscene about of mostly cream or white colored flowers. The walls of the hallway were wood paneled and the floor a sterling silver.
Our officiant, Nathan Scott, walked through the door into the grand hallway just before 'A Thousand Years' by Christina Perri began.
Heart beats fast
Colors and promises
Malcolm took Jessica arm and lead her down the aisle next.
How to be brave
How can I love when I'm afraid to fall
Sophie and Aaron followed.
But watching you stand alone
All of my doubt, suddenly goes away somehow
Then Ainsley and Vijay.
One step closer
I have died everyday, waiting for you
Finally, Dani and JT took their walk down the aisle.
Darling, don't be afraid
I have loved you for a thousand years
Gil turned to me with a smile and straightened my tiara before pulling Jackie's veil over my head to cover my face.
I'll love you for a thousand more.
"You look perfect." He smiled and offered me his arm.
"Ready?" He asked as the music paused signaling our impending walk.
I slid my hand through the crook of his arm and rested my fingertips on his forearm my engagement ring resting on my right ring finger until the exchange of rings part of our ceremony.
"Ready." I smiled back.
He looked over and nodded at our DJ Ryan.
Time stands still
Beauty in all she is
I looked up at the hundreds of pairs of eyes staring at me. I gripped ahold of Gil's arm.