Ouroboros

My heart raced as I lay on the examination table with Malcolm by my side.
"It's going to be cold." Dr. Ann Hamilton smiled at me sympathetically before pressing the ultrasound wand into my lower abdomen.
The ultrasound looked like the bottom of a bell. A strong swooshing sound began before a quick pulsating sound.
"There they are. That's the heartbeat." Dr. Hamilton smiled again.
Malcolm's hand tightened around mine. Tears stung at my eyes as we listened.
Finally, at the bottom of the bell image on the screen sat a small bean shaped mass.
"Looks like you're right on track. Eight full weeks." She smiled at us again.
I heard Malcolm's breath catch and looked up at my husband who's tears betrayed his joy.
"We're going to have a baby." He smiled through his tears then leaned down and pressed his lips to my temple.
Sophie waited for us in the backseat of my car as we walked out with a picture of our little angel.
"Look." I beamed showing Sophie the picture.
"Wow. Has your eyes." She teased causing me to glare at her.
"Hey, babe. Gil's got a case." Malcolm said showing me a text on his phone.
"Is that a good idea, Lil?" Sophie asked.
"I wear body armor. I can still help for awhile." I nodded.
"I'm coming with you then. As a personal assistant or body guard. Whatever you need." She smiled at me in the rear view mirror.
"Alright." I shook my head playfully.
"Hello mother." Malcolm answered his ringing phone as we pulled up to the boat dock.
"So your sister moves out, and you want to celebrate over dinner?" He asked after a moment.
"Well, we just got a case, so..." Malcolm expertly tried to get us out of dinner.
It wasn't going to work. It never did.
"Ainsley and I may have had it out, but... it was constructive." He said catching my eye.
Ainsley's actions exhausted and angered me beyond measure but we hadn't told Jessica yet. I wasn't sure if we would.
"We'll be there at 8:00." Malcolm caved.
"Sophie?" Dani said her name as we walked up to the hanging victim.
"Hey, Dani. I'm just here to shadow Lily while she's pregnant." She nodded at JT and Gil while sticking close to my side.
"Shooting was the cause of death. Hanging was accidental. The vic got caught up as she fled." Gil explained after a brief nod to Sophie as Malcolm looked around.
"Her name's Holly Corso, age 30. She was the boat's chief steward." JT added.
"Chief stew runs the interior crew. The boatswain runs the exterior crew. It's supervisory. Takes a lot of experience to earn that title." Dani said.
"And the passengers?" I asked.
"No, it's too early for charter season. They just made the Atlantic crossing, stopped for repairs, got caught up with the weather. The crew was out barhopping, found Holly when they rolled back in about 4:00 this morning." Dani answered.
"Excuse me." I muttered looking down at my ringing phone.
"Holly's face was made up for a night out, but she stayed in." Malcolm observed as I stepped away.
"Lilian Bright." I answered the phone a respectful distance from the body.
"I'm coming for you, Lily." A dark distorted voice said.
"Who is this?" I almost growled drawing Sophie's attention.
"You can't hide from me." The voice told me.
"I'm not hiding." I chuckled dryly.
"I'm going to enjoy killing you slow."
"Good luck with that." I sighed and hung up the phone.
"Can you have Aaron run the number that just called?" I asked Sophie.
"Of course. What did he say?" She asked.
"'I'm coming for you.' 'You can't hide from me.' 'I'm going to enjoy killing you slow.'" I repeated.
The blaring of the ship's horn cut off whatever she was about to say next.
"My stars, that was a tit bit louder than I expected. Sorry to interrupt." An older man with grey hair appeared in the doorway near the body.
"No, do go on. Actually, don't bother. This murder wasn't personal." He spat at my husband.
"And who the hell are you?" Gil asked as Sophie and I approached.
"Simon Hoxley." I answered sourly drawing his attention to me.
"Europol. Just observing. With your commissioner's permission, of course." He flashed a badge at Gil.
"Yeah, you're that guy. The MindSleuth." JT said.
"Detective Tarmel. I hear you're quite the workhorse over at Major Crimes. And if you've read my book, quite the brains as well." Simon told him.
"Detective Powell. Young. Accomplished." He continued grabbing her hand.
"Enchanté." He made a move to kiss her hand.
"No." She said pulling away from him causing me to chuckle.
"And you. Dr. Lilian Russell. The youngest FBI chief in history. So much untapped potential. So much promise." Simon took a step towards me.
Sophie stepped forward placing herself between us.
"It's Bright now." I answered from behind her.
Simon stared at her a moment before turning back to Gil.
"And Lieutenant Gil Arroyo. The man who took down The Surgeon. And then took in his son, Malcolm Bright, as a protégé." He turned towards Malcolm.
"Apologies for stepping on your toes. Being The Surgeon's son, you're inclined to see murder as personal because for you... it always is."
"All right, then. What do you see?" Malcolm asked before glancing at me.
"Our killer met Ms. Corso on the top deck and shot her twice. Simple. Precise. The victim was left hanging, which shows the killer's indifference. You failed to see what is staring you in the face. A targeted assassination." Simon snapped at him igniting my protective instincts.
"You don't have nearly enough information to call this a professional hit." Malcolm scoffed.
"Don't I?"
"The only way you could come to that conclusion is if this murder wasn't the first of its kind. Is that why you're really here?" Malcolm asked.
"Are you trying to profile me? Aim a little lower, Whitly." Simon laughed at him.
"Enough." I growled drawing his attention back to me.
"Do you have anything concrete to share? Because observer or not, this is my crime scene." Gil backed me up.
"Overseas, I was investigating a courier chain that moves illicit goods all over the world. Drugs, guns, and perhaps a particularly gruesome dead body." Simon answered glancing at my husband, gauging his reaction.
"As my investigation gained traction, someone started killing the links in the chain one by one, including Ms. Corso."
"You're saying our vic smuggled a dead body?" JT asked.
"Possibly. Although, as I said... I don't want to step on anyone's toes." Simon looked between me and Malcolm again.
"Aaron has some information on that phone call." Sophie said looking at her phone.
"Okay." I sighed catching Malcolm's eye.
"What phone call?" Simon asked.
"That's not your concern. It's unrelated." I shot at him.
"I'll decide what's related." Simon stood up.
"The hell you will." I growled as we stood face to face.
"You spoke to the Police Commissioner and that's fine. I'm a chief in the FBI. My investigation is none of your concern. If you'd like to discuss that with the director he's a close personal friend. I can give you his number."
Simon stared at me for a long moment.
"We'll talk later." He said finally.
"We'll see." I turned on my heel and followed Sophie to the car with Malcolm close behind me.
"The call came from a burner. He's working on finding out where and when it was purchased. Maybe we can get a pic from the CCTV cameras, if there are any." She told me.
"We'll meet back at our place to talk about it." I nodded.
"Is everything okay?" Malcolm asked wrapping his arm around my waist.
"Someone called and threatened Lily." Sophie said.
"What?" He looked at me.
"Just now before Simon showed up. That's why I haven't said anything. Aaron is looking into it." I sighed glaring at Sophie who smirked at me.
"Why is Europol so interested in this murder?" Ainsley's voice asked among the clamor of the press surrounding Simon Hoxley.
"This is under the NYPD's jurisdiction, but I will say that this murder may relate to my investigation, which could be the crime of the century." Simon answered her slyly.
"Oh, come on, you can't just throw that out there and not give us a little more." She pushed.
"All right, Ms. Whitly. I caught this particular snake by the tail near Lake Peipus in Estonia." He told her.
Dammit. I'd expected it had to do with Nicholas but I'd hoped I was wrong.
"Lake Peipus? Isn't that where..." Another reporter asked.
"And once I find the head of the snake, I will also find the person who killed this woman, who killed others like her, and who killed the American billionaire Nicholas Endicott." He announced.
"Do you have any suspects?" Ainsley asked but Simon didn't answer her; just turned and walked away glancing at Sophie, Malcolm and I as he passed.
"Call Aaron." I glanced at Sophie.
"How much trouble are we in? I mean, this guy is supposed to be like a modern Sherlock Holmes." Ainsley asked scrolling through news articles on 'The MindSleuth' on her laptop in our living room.
"That's a little generous." Malcolm scoffed.
"Then how did he figure out Endicott wasn't killed overseas?" She asked him, she remembered some but not all of what happened, apparently.
"Aaron. I know I said I didn't want to know but now I need to. How'd you get the body to Estonia?" I asked.
"Well, I knew the body couldn't be found here, but I obviously didn't put it in a suitcase, get on a plane and dump it in an Estonian lake all by myself." Aaron smirked at Sophie.
"So how'd you do it?" Ainsley pushed.
"With Nicholas Endicott's help. Sophie told me how he covered up his crimes using a network of couriers. Most of them had no idea what they were moving or who they were working for. The number was right there in his phone." Aaron answered with a shrug.
"So you used Endicott's own courier network to dump his body." I mused leaning back against my husband.
"Seemed like the most elegant solution to your incredibly messy problem." He nodded.
"Yeah. Except everyone who transported the body is dead." Ainsley said scrolling through other articles about Simon's investigations into the couriers' murders.
"Not everyone." Aaron spoke up again.
"The courier I met with isn't in here. She was young, maybe mid-twenties, short dark hair. She struggled with the suitcases I'd packed Endicott's body into so I helped her load them into the back of the van. She made small talk. First impression reminded me of Sophie. Endicott always seemed to find vulnerable people he could manipulate. She's still out there." He continued.
"Then... we better find her before the MindSleuth does." I sighed.
"Maybe what our boy Bright needs is a moniker." JT's voice pulled me away from the window as I watched Simon and Gil in his office later that day.
"Like, uh... BrainHacker." Dani added with a small smile.
"Professor Profile." JT teased.
"Captain CrimeFighter." Dani continued as Malcolm subtly showed me the letterhead on an invoice in the evidence stack.
"You got something?" Dani asked.
"Uh, no. Nothing yet." Malcolm muttered.
"Oh, shit! We've got an appointment, remember." I nudged him.
"Didn't you have the ultrasound appointment this morning?" Dani asked.
"Yeah, this is an appointment with a midwife. Doing some research on the pros and cons of hospital and home births." I smiled at her.
"I'd think pain medication would sway me." She mused.
"I'll let you know how it goes." I giggled.
I gently pulled Malcolm out of the room as to not make it obvious.
Malcolm called his father as we walked the five blocks from where I parked my car to the fish packing plant, careful to avoid the cameras.
"And the agent thinks it's the same person who killed Endicott. So we need to out think him before he gets too close." Malcolm said putting the phone on speaker so I could hear.
"But if the murderer kills this courier who saw Aaron's face, maybe that works in your favor. I'm just floating an idea." Martin answered.
"No. That woman does not deserve to die." I sighed.
"Yes, excellent point, of course. So, uh, who's this... Eurotrash investigator they've sent?" He said sounding exasperated.
"It's Simon Hoxley." I answered.
"The MindSleuth?" Martin asked.
"The one and only." Malcolm said.
"Ooh, boy. He's got a perfect track record. Perfect conviction rate. Perfect teeth. For a Brit."
"This is not helpful." I sighed again.
"You know, for years, he tried to interview me, but I wasn't interested. That's why I barely earned a passing mention in his book."
"Can we focus? Please? We are deceiving our team, and we're currently breaking into a seafood processing plant. We should not be doing any of these things." Malcolm looked at me.
We still had yet to tell Martin about the baby.
"Yeah, well, your family is at stake. If you want to get ahead of Simon Hoxley, you're gonna have to be ruthless." Martin told us.
"Yeah, well, I can think ruthless. I don't know if I can be ruthless." Malcolm sighed.
"I know Lily can... Anyway, let's think ruthless. Why a seafood fac..." Martin broke off with a laugh.
"Oh, I bet they vacuum-sealed and flash-froze Mr. Endicott like a big-eye tuna."
"Yeah, that sounds about right." Malcolm nodded.
"Yeah, well, your father has skills, my boy. I just wish more people would utilize them. I tell you what. Why don't I break out, take care of Hoxley..." Martin began
"We're not hearing any of this." I muttered.
"And then we all go on the run together!" Martin finished his thought just as I caught sight of a body floating in a tank of water.
"No, no, no, no, no." Malcolm rushed over to it hanging up on his father.
Malcolm looked at me then plunged his hand into the pool after the man's cellphone.
"What are you doing? That'll never dry." I whispered.
"Find something sharp." He told me.
"For what?" I asked incredulously.
Then he pulled the man's hand out of the pool and I knew what he wanted.
"Are you serious?" I narrowed my eyes at him.
"We have to find the courier. This is the only way we'll get to her without Hoxley." His eyes pleaded with me.
I rushed over and found a pair of bone shears.
"I'm sorry about this. Be ruthless." Malcolm muttered to himself but I couldn't watch.
Our unborn baby flipping my stomach again. Then a door opened in the distance.
"You're not their main supplier, but we still have to cover all our bases." Dani's voice said.
"We need to go. Now." I pulled on Malcolm as we rushed away from the body and around a corner.
"Well, fine, but our crew's gone home." A man's voice said in response.
"We're gonna need your records on personnel, too." JT added.
"We got a body!" Dani called out.
"Oh, God. That's Brian. Brian Tamishiro." The male voice exclaimed.
"I'm calling it in." JT called to Dani.
"Go. Now." I urged quietly.
Once outside the warehouse we ran the five blocks back to the car before pausing to catch our breath before Gil or Dani could call us.
"You got here fast." JT mentioned as we walked back into the warehouse ten minutes later.
"We were in the neighborhood." Malcolm chuckled.
"Why is your arm wet?" Simon asked loudly.
Shit...
"Oh... Uh... if you really want to know..." Malcolm chuckled glancing at me.
"There was a, um, cab and a pothole and water and... Hey, this the victim?" Malcolm tried to change the subject with a quick glance at me.
I could tell Simon didn't buy it, nor did the team.
"The dead man? Yes. Good catch." Simon glared at him.
"The truth is, he stuck his fully clothed arm in the birthing pool like I told him not to. Didn't I tell you it'd never dry?" I glared at my husband.
"I thought you didn't want to tell anyone else yet." Malcolm looked back at me.
"I didn't but you stuck your hand in that damn pool and now asshole over here thinks you killed this poor man." I glared at him again.
"The victim is Brian Tamishiro. He worked as a delivery driver, but he also did packing and shrink-wrapping." Dani broke into our argument and I breathed an internal sigh of relief.
It made more sense to everyone that Malcolm was lying to protect our very new pregnancy.
"Endicott's body never showed much evidence of freezer burn, so the shrink-wrapping and flash-freezing were likely done here." Simon said.
"I'm never buying frozen fish again." Dani muttered.
"Vic was shot twice, and as a bonus, the killer took his thumb." JT added.
"Initial blood spatter is contained. And Brian was here after the shift finished, which means he stayed late to meet someone. I believe the victim knew his attacker. Now... the missing thumb." Malcolm began.
"The killer took the thumb because he needed it. I'll wager we haven't recovered a phone yet." Simon cut him off.
"I was gonna say the same thing." Malcolm chuckled.
"And you'd both be right... No phone." Gil confirmed.
"It'll be an older model with a print scanner instead of facial recognition. Otherwise, the killer would have taken the whole head." Simon joked lightly.
"Yes. Yes, we are lucky that that's not the case." Malcolm laughed.
"The killer will use the phone to locate the next link in the chain." Simon continued.
"Maybe we can get there first. Save whoever it is." Malcolm added.
"I was going to say the same thing." Simon concurred.
"Look at that, you guys agreeing on something." I chuckled humorlessly.
"When a crime scene is this obvious, so are the conclusions. Or perhaps the scene is obvious because it was designed to be?" Simon looked between us.
I knew it could only be a matter of time before Simon went to talk to Jessica.
"Good Lord, that is excellent!" I heard his voice exclaim as I walked through the front door of Whitly Manor.
"American women make better cocktails, and I'll fight anyone who disagrees." He laughed.
"Just keep piling on the charm, and maybe I'll ignore that you are here with an agenda." She smirked at him as I rounded the corner into the living room.
"Another great American quality. Getting down to brass tacks." Simon nodded not yet noticing my arrival.
"I know you think Nicholas was killed in New York, and I was one of the last people to see him alive, so your curiosity is understandable. Come sit, Lily. Serena said lunch will be ready in soon." She smiled at me.
"Hmm." He watched me as I made my way to the couch.
"I'm glad you feel that way." He returned his attention to Jessica.
"But, sadly... I can't offer any insight on Nicholas's death." She sighed resting her hand on my arm, a show of solidarity but also a need for comfort.
"Now, how did a clever woman like you get entangled with so many homicidal men?" Simon asked noting the contact.
"So we're already down that road, are we?" Jessica laughed.
"You must've been furious when your latest paramour turned out to be a murderous thug. Jessica Whitly... played for a fool... yet again." He pushed.
"That's enough." I cautioned.
"So... I killed Nicholas." Jessica chuckled hard.
"Perhaps I did it... after his thug stabbed Gil in the gut and I sat by my dying friend in the hospital. Or... maybe... during Gil's surgery! I took a little trip to the snack machine and lured Nicholas back to my lair and killed him. Right here. But most likely, Detectives Powell, Tarmel and I stayed by Gil's side as he clung to life. Is that alibi sufficient for you? I cannot believe I made you a martini." She stood up and ripped the martini from him.
I fought an urge to laugh.
"Well, I am very honored to have been invited to your home. It's quite perfect." He noted.
"Yes, it is." She said defensively.
"Which is why it's puzzling you would even suggest that Nicholas Endicott was killed here." He continued then paused.
"I never would have imagined that this very room might be the scene of the crime." He accused.
"His throat was slit, you know. A bloody business that is. And now I'm noticing this brand-new rug. It's less sun-drenched than its counterpart."
"I've met some terrifying men in my day... so if you're trying to scare me, you're gonna have to do better than this." She stood her ground.
"We did have to replace the rug because it was blood stained." I spoke up standing up.
"How's that now?" He turned his attention to me.
"It was my blood. As I'm sure you read in the case file, I was abducted and tortured by Nicholas. I came here in search of my then fiancé but ended up collapsing on the rug due to blood loss and my blood stained the rug." I explained shooting my mother-in-law an apologetic look.
"We told you it was wine so you wouldn't worry about how much blood I'd actually lost." I told her.
"Oh, Lily... All that matters is that you're still here." She reached over to hug me.
"Now... I hope you enjoy your stay in New York." She turned back to him.
"I intend it to be a short trip." He said almost glaring at me as he turned to leave.
I'd spent most of my quarantine deciding on the story I would tell should we come under investigation. As the Chief of an FBI field office I could lie my ass off and still pass a polygraph. Not that he could give me one.
"Family meeting. Now." Jessica said into her phone, her voice shaking.
"You should have called me the second he showed up." Malcolm said walking over to sit next to me on the love seat.
"Because that wouldn't have seemed suspicious." Jessica sighed.
"She has a point." Ainsley said.
"You have no idea what we've been doing to keep this family safe." He sighed his fingertips rubbing against my back.
"No, we don't. Because you don't let us in." Jess muttered.
"Oh, what would you like to know? How we've been dishonest with our team? Or maybe you'd like to know about the thumb in our freezer." Malcolm said pointedly.
"Wait, what?" Ainsley asked.
"Don't remind me. It's near my ice cream." I pouted.
"I'll get you some of that Gelato you like when this is over." He promised pulling me to rest my head on his shoulder.
"I do not want to know that." Jessica shook her head.
"Just 'letting you in'." Malcolm sighed again.
"Well, I for one think we've done a pretty good job in regards to this murder." Ainsley said causing me to glare at her as Malcolm's hands started shaking.
"Are you listening to yourself?" Jessica asked her as I turned my attention to Malcolm resting my hand against his cheek in an attempt to calm him.
"Come on, you know what I mean." Ainsley scoffed.
"Don't you see what you are doing to him? What you have done to all of us by killing Nicholas?" Jessica exclaimed.
"I was trying to save us." She shot back.
"Stop. Stop. If we have any hope of getting out of this, we need to stick together. From here on out, nobody talks to Simon Hoxley. He has our whole family in his crosshairs, and we will sink or swim together. Got it?" I interjected finally sitting back up.
"Got it." Ainsley muttered.
"The problem is, there's one more member of the Whitly family." Jessica said.
"I guess it's time we talk to Martin." I sighed looking at Malcolm.
"Another interview request? You just can't take "no" for an answer." Martin's voice said as the guard lead Malcolm and I to the infirmary.
"Official business this time. As an agent of Europol. Not The New York Times best-selling author." Simon's voice responded.
"What did you call yourself again? The Brain Puzzler?" Martin teased.
"MindSleuth. I'm sorry you weren't featured in the book. My editor told me to trim the fat. The critics loved it, though. It was even made into a movie." Simon gloated.
"A TV movie."
"You saw it, then. I'm glad they're keeping you entertained in here."
"Oh, did I say I was entertained?"
"Martin?" I said his name as Malcolm and I walked into the room.
"You just can't help yourself, can you? Following me around." Simon scoffed at me.
"For one, I don't need to follow you when you're so predictable and you aren't why Malcolm and I are here, but please continue." I gestured towards my father-in-law.
"You'll certainly be featured in my next book. I'm still working on the title. Sins of the Father is a little too on the nose. There's just no snappy way of saying, 'The Whitly family murdered Nicholas Endicott.'" Simon turned back to Martin but it didn't flow as smoothly after my interruption.
"The family that slays together stays together?" Martin smirked at me.
"I see you're still using humor to deflect your fear." Simon advanced on him.
"Of you? The Brain Fart?" Martin laughed.
"You're afraid for your family. After all, you molded them, you turned them all into..." Simon pushed.
"What the hell is this?" A female voice said from the doorway.
When I turned a middle-aged doctor with black hair walked in.
"Dr. Capshaw. Meet my son, Malcolm and his beautiful wife, Lilian. Oh, and the Mind Putzer." Martin made light introductions.
"Simon Hoxley. Enchanté. My, my, a beautiful doctor in this cesspool? With The Surgeon?" Simon cringed.
"He needs to finish his work." Dr. Capshaw said.
"Two minutes. Please. Or do I have to call your administrator, say you're being a problem?" He threatened her.
I wondered if he knew I could have him deported with one phone call.
"You're being rude, Hoxley." Martin growled.
"How about this for rude? Your family couldn't possibly pull off killing Nicholas Endicott without your help. They don't have your killer instinct." Simon turned back on Martin.
"Oh, you should see my ex at a charity auction."
"Enough jokes! What did you tell them? How to clean up a crime scene? How to dismember a body for transport?"
Martin's eyes betrayed his pride, as I knew they would.
"What was that? Do I detect a little glimmer of... paternal pride? Of course. Your son Malcolm." Simon turned on us.
"He studied murder at your knees, and now he's passed his first real test by killing Nicholas Endicott. Oh. And Daddy's proud." He stepped towards us.
"Just leave them alone." Martin said angrily.
"Your anger is an admission of his guilt. Tell me something. How will you feel when I lock him away for life? When you see him like a useless husk of a man... just like his father. Just..." Simon walked right up into Martin's face.
Malcolm's hands shook noticeably next to me. I moved to stand before him guiding his hands to my hips before Simon could notice his tremors.
"Whitly. Your shift is over. It's time to go." Dr. Capshaw returned.
"You really shouldn't have interrupted me. I'm going to have to call your..." Simon turned back on her.
"Already did. I told my administrators that I was gonna kick your ass out of here. If they didn't like it, fire me. They didn't fire me." She smirked at him.
"Stay away from my family." Martin growled quietly before one of the guards lead Simon from the room.
"Ah! To what do I owe the pleasure of your visit." Martin smiled at Malcolm and I.
"We just wanted to make sure you heard it from us that we're expecting our first child." I sighed leaning into Malcolm.
"You're pregnant?" Martin looked at me.
"I am. Eight weeks but I'm already having aversions at crime scenes and it's only a matter of time before the press gets ahold of it. We're going to try to wait until twelve weeks to let Ainsley announce it." I nodded.
"Thank you. For telling me." He nodded at me.
I glanced down at my phone.
"Aaron has something from the phone." I told Malcolm.
"So, I used an electric current to, essentially wake up the thumb that Malcolm and Lily got off our victim. Within the confines of our underground bunker I was able to bypass the sixty second trace and go through the phone in it's entirety." Aaron explained as Malcolm and I gathered with Sophie and Aaron in our basement by the indoor pool after my nightly swim.
"The contact I found the most interesting was for Nat. I traced the phone number to a burner but it's pinging here in New York."
"Go ahead and call the number and set an appointment for Malcolm." I sighed leaning against my husband.
"Malcolm. Lily." Jesse Reese, our night guard said our names over the intercom.
"Whitly! I know you're in there." Simon's voice called in the background.
"He has zero chill doesn't he..." I muttered standing to walk over to the speaker.
"You can let him in, but kindly remind him that our last name is Bright, not Whitly." I answered.
"Yes. Ma'am."
"Whitly!" Simon called again.
"Sophie will you meet Mr. Hoxley in the foyer. We'll accept him in the ballroom." I smiled at my friend.
"Of course." She nodded.
"Aaron, take the elevator up to the library and wait for us there. Best if we don't have you involved in this since it was your face the courier saw." I said turning to him.
"Yes, ma'am." He teased retreating to the elevator.
"Are you okay?" Malcolm asked.
"Yeah. I think so." I sighed wrapping my beach dress tighter around me fully hiding the black two-piece swim suit I wore.
"Do you still have my rings?" I asked as we walked into the ballroom.
"Of course. Allow me." He smiled at me gently taking my left hand to slide on first my wedding band followed by my engagement ring, never taking his eyes off mine.
"Malcolm. Lilian. Mr. Simon Hoxley." Sophie announced entering the room.
"Thank you, Sophie." I said turning towards the doorway.
Simon wandered around the ballroom without speaking to either of us making his way to the weapons wall.
We'd have to lock this door when the baby started walking.
"Fancy yourself as a bit of a white knight, do you?" Simon asked my husband toying with one of the swords.
"Technically, that's a footman's sword. Dull-edged, but designed to pierce armor." Malcolm corrected him wrapping his arm around my waist.
"A metaphorical choice for a profiler. Do you think our occupation gives us an edge... were we to plan a murder?" Simon accused.
"You may as well just come out and say it." Malcolm shot back maintaining his composure.
"Fine. You killed him. It's as clear as day." Simon took a step towards us causing Sophie to step between us.
"It's alright, Sophie. He wouldn't dare put his hands on a pregnant woman." I dismissed her lightly.
"What about motive? Why would I kill Nicholas Endicott?" Malcolm asked his hands out of sight trembling.
"To protect your sister, to avenge your mother, your wife, to keep your father comfy at Claremont. You all had something to gain. It was a family affair." Simon scoffed.
"You want to pierce some armor? I'll tell you what I see. A man desperate to cobble a case together in the hopes of saving his fading reputation. You haven't solved a case in years, MindSleuth is in the bargain bin, and that Patek Philippe, while being a very good dupe, is a knockoff nonetheless. Even that scarf is showing its age." Malcolm shot at him, an expert profile as always, as he moved to stand between me and Simon.
"I assure you, I'm quite comfortable in my station." Simon responded his tough exterior cracking slightly.
"You're washed-up. Holly and Brian's deaths are just a means to an end, another way to get your face in the paper. Which makes you as phony as that wristwatch." Malcolm continued.
"Thank you, Mr. Whitly. I will let you know when I obtain the search warrant for your mother's house."
"On what grounds?"
"Endicott's throat was slashed. Perhaps the murder weapon is still among your mother's silver." Simon stepped towards Malcolm again.
"Tell me, did you use it to carve the roast at Christmas dinner?"
Malcolm and Simon now stood chest to chest.
"You'll never be a white knight. You're still just a scared little boy, hungry for Daddy's love. Au revoir." He turned to walk back out of the room.
"Sophie. See Simon out. Passed the gate if you'll be so kind. I don't want him snooping around our home." I called towards him.
"You and I will talk later." Simon turned on me causing Sophie to stand between us.
"Oh? We'll see about that." I smirked at him before Sophie lead him away.
"Are you okay?" I asked my husband gently.
"Yes. He just wanted to push my buttons." He nodded forcing a smile.
"Yes, but you handled yourself quite well." I touched his arm.
"Are you surprised?" He asked.
"Of course not."
"Nat's agreed to pick Malcolm up near the precinct in an hour." Aaron told us when we walked into the library on our second floor.
"Be careful, my love. I'll be close by." I promised him as we sat in my car with Sophie in the backseat.
"You be careful too. For both of you." He touched my stomach before kissing me.
Sophie moved to sit beside me as Malcolm got out of the car.
We watched him walk a block away then a black SUV pulled up in front of him and he climbed into the backseat.
"Don't lose that car, Sophie." I said pulling out onto the road so we could follow a safe distance behind them.
It was too dangerous to bug him but I hated not being able to hear what was going on.
"Where are they going?" I muttered five minutes later when it became clear that she wasn't driving to Grand Central Station as Aaron and Malcolm planned.
"Looks like the waterfront." Sophie remarked looking around us.
"She's not a potential victim... She's the killer and she's going after Hoxley." I realized as the SUV suddenly stopped and Malcolm got out.
Nat sped away leaving us behind her.
"Get in. Let's go." I called to Malcolm.
He climbed in the back seat and I sped off behind her flipping on my lights and siren. I took a short cut leading us to the marina and the boat Holly's body was found on.
"You need to stay here." Malcolm looked at me.
"The hell I do. Malcolm, this is my job. Same as yours. We're better together, you know that." I insisted.
"Sophie. Stay here until she gets here. Text me as soon as she arrives then follow her." I instructed.
I pulled my pistol from its holster and followed Malcolm carefully onto the boat.
"Stop right there. How did you know I was here?" Simon exclaimed as we walked through the door to the galley.
"We need to get out of here now. You're being set up." I said checking my phone for the text from Sophie.
"Stay back." Simon stood up grabbing a knife.
"You are here to kill the last link in the chain, Natalie. She's ready to come in, but she's terrified, and now I know why."
"Are you really that stupid?" I muttered.
"You don't understand, she's here. She's going to kill you." Malcolm tried to reason with him.
"And you! Mrs. Whitly. Sole heiress to the Russell fortune. You couldn't have Nicholas standing in your way." Simon turned on me the knife still in his hand.
"What are you talking about? In the way of what?" I scoffed glaring at him.
"Get down!" I yelled suddenly as Sophie's text came in.
She's here. Gun.
A muffled gunshot rang out shattering a window.
"Who was that?" Simon asked.
"Do you ever listen?" I scoffed standing to return fire.
"We're going to be killed by a millennial? What a twist." He muttered.
I grabbed his arm to help him to his feet.
"Go. Now." I urged pushing Simon in front of me.
"Follow me." Malcolm whispered.
"Obviously." Simon scoffed.
Another shot rang out the bullet pushing through the air just passed me striking Simon in the leg.
"Oh, God." He exclaimed as Malcolm pulled him up the rest of the stairs.
"Come here. Come on." Malcolm muttered setting Simon down on a bench.
"I can't die in Brooklyn." Simon muttered.
I caught sight of Nat looking around at the base of the stairs, but it wasn't a clear enough look to be confident in firing my pistol.
"Don't you carry a gun?" He asked my husband.
"Don't you?" Malcolm shot back.
"I'm British." He whispered.
"It's just a through-and-through. You'll be okay." Malcolm said wrapping the wound in Simon's scarf.
"Not the cashmere." Simon groaned.
"Do you want to die? I'm about five seconds away from letting you die." I growled.
"Are you okay?" Malcolm asked looking at me anxiously.
"I'm good." I answered
"Okay. Now, stay down. I'll draw her away." Malcolm said.
"I've got your back." I nodded.
From this vantage point I could watch him run off.
"Lily?" Sophie whispered my name walking up behind us.
"Oh, God." Simon jumped.
Suddenly, I heard another gunshot.
"Malcolm!" I called out his name rushing down another flight of stairs after him.
"Lily!" Sophie called after me.
"Drop the gun. Grab my hand." I heard his voice say as I rounded the corner to see him leaning over the railing.
"Please! There's no other way." He called again.
I rushed up beside him as she raised her gun towards us.
Malcolm released her hand and turned to shield me from a gunshot that never came.
We looked over the railing together to see her impaled on a large triangular piece of metal.
"You're okay?" Malcolm checked again.
"Yeah. You?" I asked as he wrapped his arms around me.
"Yeah." He sighed.
Malcolm and I were in the conference room the next morning waiting for the rest of the team.
"Didn't see you there." Malcolm said suddenly causing me to look up and see Gil in the doorway.
"That's okay. I know you both had a long night." Gil smiled at me briefly.
"Turned out she was in pretty deep with Endicott, and we know how he used people. It's looking like she just... had enough and killed him." Gil sighed touching Malcolm's shoulder.
"I... I tried to save her." Malcolm muttered.
"I know. You did good work here." Gil smiled at him.
"They had some help. I just gave my statement to Detectives Powell and Tarmel. Now I'm off for some rest, relaxation and painkillers." Simon chuckled walking into the room.
"You are always welcome here. Just call first." Gil chuckled.
"Lieutenant Arroyo, I promise I will try." Simon nodded.
"Glad you're here. I wanted to apologize. I got so defensive of my family..." Malcolm started walking to lay his hand on my shoulder.
"No, stop. It's you who should have the apology. Threatening you with a paring knife was so dramatic. What was I thinking?" Simon glanced apologetically at me.
"'Those who mine darkness see shadows where there are none.'" I quoted.
"That's from MindSleuth. You have read my book." Simon chuckled.
"And we'll read the next one." Malcolm smiled.
"Oh. That's kind. But there's nothing sexy about the silver medalist. You solved this one."
"Not true. You were the one who tied Endicott to the courier network, followed the murder trail from Estonia to Manhattan. We were more of a supporting character. More Lestrade to your Sherlock." Malcolm played him up.
"You found the head of the snake." I added covering Malcolm's hand with mine.
"It's almost as if my investigation forced the head of the snake to come back and eat her own tail." Simon smiled at me.
"Sounds like a best seller." I smiled back.
"Maybe. But the press is so fickle. I haven't booked an appearance in years." Simon sighed glumly.
"We might be able to help with that." Malcolm smiled at me.
"Tell me, what was it like to finally catch the woman that murdered Nicholas Endicott?" Ainsley asked sitting across from Simon.
"It felt like something we all needed. Closure. I go into more detail in my new book The Ouroboros Murders. Named after the ancient symbol of a snake eating its own tail." Simon explained.
"Hmm. That's a brilliant title." Ainsley chuckled.
"It really is." Simon mused.
"Yeah. If I didn't know any better, I'd say you enjoyed that a little too much." I teased as Malcolm and I sat with Jessica, Ainsley, Aaron and Sophie in my living room a week later watching the Simon Hoxley interview.
"Of course I did. I got to put this Endicott mess behind us. And the prime-time slot." Ainsley beamed.
"To getting away with murder." Ainsley said raising her glass.
"Oh..." Jessica muttered.
"How about... To keeping it in the family?" Malcolm suggested.
"I'll drink to that." I smiled raising my glass of sparkling water.
"To family." Ainsley chuckled as we all touched glasses.