It's All In The Execution

The dismembered body of Billionaire Businessman Nicholas Endicott was found yesterday in Estonia near the Russian boarder floating in Lake Peipus. Endicott, a once beloved philanthropist, is now most infamously known for the abduction and torture of New York's Modern Princess, Dr. Lilian Russell just six months ago. A man on the six o'clock news announced on the first Tuesday evening in November.
"Shut that off, Lily." Sophie called from the kitchen.
I complied with a sigh standing up.
"What are you making?" I asked sitting on one of the stools at the counter.
"Creamy Garlic Prawns with Fettuccine." She smiled at me.
"Do you need any help?"
"Sure. Do you wanna peel the prawns?" She asked moving the bowl of uncooked prawns towards me.
"You can put the shells in this pot so I can make a stock later." She handed me a large pot.
"No problem." I smiled immediately getting to work.
"There's something I need to ask you and it's kind of short notice." I smiled innocently at her as I worked on the prawns.
"What is it?" She asked narrowing her eyes playfully at me.
"Tally can't be a bridesmaid in the wedding anymore. I'd asked her before she got pregnant and with the wedding being New Year's Eve she'll have an infant. The added stress wouldn't be good for her. I was hoping that you'd consider stepping in to fill the role? Aaron is already one of Malcolm's groomsmen and after... well, you know, I can't really think of anyone better." I rambled slightly.
"Of course I will, Lily."
"Thank you, and thank you for staying with us during quarantine. I know Malcolm appreciates that I'm not alone while he works."
"I have a question about that. Why is he working?" She asked.
"What do you mean?" I asked looking over at her.
"Not that I don't love spending time with you, I do. I was just wondering... You don't have to work, do you? Neither of you."
"We don't need the money, no. He likes to work. He needs to catch killers. Stopping killers is how he makes sense of life. It gives him purpose. Keeps him sane." I chuckled lightly.
"What about you?" She asked.
"Helping people is good for me. Plus, someone has to make sure Malcolm doesn't get himself maimed or killed."
"I almost fell off that ledge and my father is being transferred back to Claremont!" Malcolm exclaimed walking into the loft.
"Speak of the devil." I smiled looking at him.
"Was not the plan for you to almost fall off the ledge?" I asked pushing the finished bowl of prawns back at Sophie.
"Yes, but it was premature."
Sophie looked at me and raised her eyebrows causing me to burst out in laughter.
"Is that a frequent problem?" She asked.
"Why do you relish in making fun of me?" Malcolm muttered.
"Oh. Come here, love. I'm sorry. It's just been rough being cooped up for six months. We're just having a little fun." I soothed him when he stepped into my arms.
"What did you say about Martin?" I asked laying my head on his chest.
"They're rewarding him for preventing COVID from running rampant through Hoosegow by sending him back to Claremont."
"Of course they are. Maybe I should have just bought the personal suite back in May." I sighed.
"You were dealing with a lot. He knows that."
I nodded looking over at Sophie checking for any signs of discomfort but found none.
"Why don't you two lovebirds go pick out a movie to watch while I finish this?" She smiled warmly at us.
Malcolm took my hand and lead me back into the living room so we could look through our digital library to find a movie to watch during dinner.
We decided on 'Split' from M. Night Shyamalan just as Sophie brought in three plates of food.
"Thank you, Sophie. This looks great." I smiled at her.
"Thank you." She smiled back at me.
"That was perfect, Sophie." Malcolm smiled at her taking the plates once the movie finished then disappeared into the kitchen to clean up.
They refused to let me do much despite being cleared for duty by multiple doctors at the insistence of my loving, overly concerned fiancé.
"How is he doing?" She asked me.
"About you being around or about everything?" I asked.
"Let's start small."
"Like I said earlier, he likes having you around to look out for me. He hasn't said anything to the contrary."
"What about the rest?"
"It's hard. With his father being who he is and having to watch his sister kill someone." I shrugged.
"Then cutting up the body and nearly losing you?" She reminded me.
"He's struggling. Throwing himself into work. He's always been like this though."
She nodded thoughtfully for a moment.
"What about you? Are you sure about going to work tomorrow?" She asked.
"I am. I've been working from home for the FBI anyway. My position is largely administrative." I shrugged.
"But you consult for the NYPD with Malcolm?"
"Right. When he was with the FBI we would travel together to cities experiencing crimes they couldn't solve. Think: Criminal Minds. Then he left me in January of '15 and I started working with a different profiler but it just didn't work. I met my abusive ex in December of '16 but we didn't start dating until June of '17. I was with him for a year and a half before he put me in the hospital and killed my unborn baby. I started working on my own in January of '19 then Gil called in September and I reconnected with Malcolm. He kissed me when I took him home on September 23rd. He called me his girlfriend on October 30th and we slept together; said I love you on November 7th. Wow. That was probably more than you wanted to know." I looked at her sheepishly.
"It's fine. I'd call September 23rd the anniversary." She chuckled.
"When did you actually meet?"
"September 9th 1998. We were ten."
"So, you knew him before?"
I nodded.
"We'd been friends for three months before Martin's arrest."
I yawned involuntarily.
"I should get going so you guys can get some sleep before you go back to work tomorrow." Sophie said standing up.
With Endicott disposed of she didn't need to hide anymore. Especially after being the one to save the life of New York's FBI Chief.
"Thank you again, Sophie. I'll give you a call tomorrow?" I stood up to hug her.
"Sounds great."
After she left I walked into the kitchen where Malcolm had just finished loading the dishwasher.
"Ready for bed?" I asked.
"More than almost anything." He nodded.
"Mother." Malcolm muttered moving beneath me the next morning.
"I say a little prayer for you. To live without you, would only bring heartbreak for me." Jessica finished her song as Malcolm pulled gently out from under me and out of our bed.
Malcolm slept in sweatpants, I, however, did not.
"What an unexpected surprise. To what do we owe... this?" Malcolm asked walking towards the kitchen drawing her gaze away from the bed so I could slide on my plush bathrobe.
"It seemed unfair not to share my new talent with the two of you." She turned and smiled at me.
"Oh, save some for Mommy." She gushed at her son as he took his medication.
"Kidding. I have all the pills I need. And a few I don't." She smirked at me as I walked over towards my love.
"I am re-instituting brunch. You and your sister are healthy and safe. Gil and Lily are recovering nicely. You'll join us for brunch, won't you?" She turned to me.
"Of course. I'm a mere sixty days from officially being family." I smiled at her.
"Oh, mom, we've got to go. JT caught a body." He glanced up at me from his phone before wrapping his arm around me.
"You're going back to work?" She looked at me.
"It's been six months, Jess. I'm okay." I insisted.
"Oh. Undoubtedly. I just wasn't aware. Where's Sophie?" She asked.
"I gifted her my loft and am just staying here with Malcolm until the house is finished in January."
"Just be careful, my dears." She smiled between Malcolm and I before leaving.
I slid my palms over his bare stomach.
"You sure about this?" Malcolm asked.
"I am. Let's go catch a killer." I smiled at him.
I dressed in black slacks and a blue button up short sleeved blouse then secured my sidearm to my waist.
Malcolm walked into the kitchen wearing a dark green suit under a black trench coat.
"Damn... I look forward to taking that off you later." I teased.
"I look forward to that too." He smiled at me.
"Hi. How you doing?" Malcolm asked Dani as we walked towards the crime scene.
"Oh, I'm wonderful. Global pandemic. Systemic racism. It's the perfect time to be a young Black woman and a cop. How are you?" She responded narrowing her eyes at him.
"I think things are looking up." He smiled.
"Really? Why?" She asked as he lifted the crime scene tape.
"Lily's back and we get to catch a killer." He handed her a lollipop.
"Lily!" Dani exclaimed finally catching sight of me.
"Hey you." I smiled hugging her.
"It's so good to have you back." She sighed hugging me tight.
"Good to be back."
The three of us walked together though the courtyard of the large mansion to where a blonde woman lay on a bench in a long blue dress.
"What've we got, Detective in Charge Tarmel?" I asked smiling at him.
"Lily, thank God." He muttered.
"Millicent Lee. Married a Texas oil tycoon thirty years her senior. After he died, she moved here to spend all that money." JT told us as Malcolm examined the body.
"There's a... respectful quality to how she was placed. Almost loving. Question, how was she killed?"
"Answer." Edrisa said standing up.
"Lily?" She said when she saw me and rushed over to hug me.
"I can fire these people, right?" JT muttered.
"Edrisa." I said gently.
"Right. Oh. How was she killed? Well, not here, for starters. She was moved postmortem. As far as method, hold on to your hats. Or heads."
Edrisa unwrapped the scarf from around the victim's neck before pulling her head right off the body.
"She was decapitated? That cut is..." Malcolm looked up at me clearly very excited.
"Incredibly precise. I know." Edrisa beamed at us.
"What does it mean?" JT asked.
"Well, it means we can rule out a crime of passion. This was... controlled, practiced. No detail overlooked. This was an execution."
"This is your version of things looking up?" Dani sighed looking at Malcolm.
"It is actually. Not for Millicent but..." Malcolm smirked at me.
"Why don't you ride back with them? I want to go see Gil." I told him as we walked towards the parking lot.
"Are you okay?" He asked stopping to look at me.
"Yeah, it's just weird being back without him here." I answered looking at him.
"I know. I'll see you back at the station." He leaned down to kiss me.
"I love you."
"I love you, Lily." Malcolm said as I walked away from him.
"Don't go too easy on him. I need him back strong." I told the physical therapist walking into the hospital room.
"How do you keep getting in here?" Gil chuckled putting his jacket on.
"Come on, Gil. I'm the most powerful person in New York. You think a global pandemic is going to stop me from checking in on you?" I teased sitting down across from him.
"You look dressed for work." He remarked.
"I went to a crime scene with Malcolm and Major Crimes this morning." I nodded.
"There's something wrong." He observed.
"It's weird working a scene with them without you." I sighed.
"I'll be back any day now." He said gently.
"I didn't... Don't rush it. Certainly not on my account. You got stabbed. Multiple surgeries. I mean, you almost..."
"So did you." He reminded me.
I sighed and looked away from him.
"Hey. It's me, Lily. I'm good." He smiled at me.
My phone rang ruining the moment.
"It's my danger prone fiancé." I chuckled before answering the phone.
"Hey. I need you to take me out to see my father." He said.
"Why?" I asked.
"We think the victim was decapitated by an actual guillotine. I think my father knows who bought it in '96." He explained.
"Okay. I'll be right there." I sighed.
"Hey. I love you." He said.
"I love you too."
I looked up at Gil after I hung up the phone.
"I guess we're going to see Martin."
"Isn't he in Hoosegow?" He asked.
"Not anymore apparently. Something about saving inmates from COVID or something."
"Great..." Gil sighed.
"Don't worry, I've got him." I reminded him.
"I know you do. I just worry. Dani said he's been more 'Brightish' than usual?"
"It's my first day back. He's seemed relatively normal to me but I know that not knowing where Nicholas was bothered him."
"I saw that they found his body." Gil nodded.
"Yeah." I nodded absently.
"Go on. You know he'll go alone if you don't."
"Yes, he will."
I hugged him before leaving.
"Malcolm. Lilian. It's so good to see..."
A man sitting behind a second bed near where Martin's desk used to be blew a raspberry cutting him off.
"Who's this?" Malcolm asked wrapping his arm protectively around me.
"Sorry. Where are my manners? Malcolm. Lilian, Jerry. Jerry, Malcolm and Lilian. Jerry here is my new roommate. Good stuff, Jer. Good stuff. I'm in hell. Hell." Martin moved closer to whisper at us.
"Maybe we should reschedule." Malcolm suggested looking down at me.
"But why? Oh, no, we're back together. Finally able to really talk. Commiserate about you know what." Martin protested.
"Actually, we're here on a case."
"Are you kidding? I've waited months for this. Come on, partners. I see they found his body."
"Stop talking." I hissed glancing over at Jerry who stared at me then licked his lips.
"Jerry? Oh, please, he's a moron."
"Our victim was decapitated. The killer used an antique guillotine. I'm thinking it was the one sold in '96." Malcolm pushed sensing my discomfort.
"Well, your theory is sound. It's the only working guillotine in the tristate area." Martin agreed.
"Good. Who won it? Where is it?" I asked.
Malcolm held onto my shoulder moving around me so he stood between me and Jerry.
"Nope. Can't. Not feeling it." Martin shook his head.
"What? What are you not feeling?" Malcolm looked at his father incredulously.
"Appreciated. We were partners. The three of us."
I looked up at Malcolm when his arm tightened around me only to find his face twisted; a flashback plaguing his mind.
"I don't want to talk about it." Malcolm hissed at his father.
"I totally agree. We should be singing about it, not whispering for Jerry. Like father, like..."
"Don't say that! Never say that." Malcolm exclaimed cutting him off.
"Malcolm." I said his name to soothe him.
"Oh, I'm sorry, Jer. I'm sorry. Shh." Martin turned to Jerry when he started fussing.
"Note taken. I won't gush. But I got to ask. Estonia? How did you do that?"
"I know a guy." I answered vaguely.
"It's our turn. Who bought..." Malcolm pushed at his father.
"The guillotine. Right, fine. Yes. Ugh. Give me a pen." Martin sighed frustratedly.
Malcolm pulled his small notepad and a pen out of his jacket's inner pocket and handed it to Martin.
"He's a strange fellow, this collector." Martin muttered looking at me.
"You think he's a killer?" I asked.
"Well, anybody can be a killer. Not anyone uses a guillotine. You're looking for a student of the fatal arts. Start with him." Martin looked between us.
A flying shoe struck Malcolm in the side of the face.
"Malcolm!" I gasped pulling him to look at me as he grabbed his face.
"My boy! Mr. David!" Martin tried to worry over him.
"We should go." Malcolm wrapped his arm back around me to lead me out.
"No. Don't let Jerry spoil our good time. Stay a little longer! We're just getting to the good stuff! No! No! No!" Martin called after us as we walked out into the hallway.
"Are you okay?" I asked as Malcolm leaned against the hood of my car.
"I'm fine. Startled me, is all. I'd be more upset if he'd hit you." He smiled up at me.
I shook my head and kissed him.
"We should go check this guy out, huh?" I asked looking down at the notepad still in his hand.
"I think we should." He nodded.
"Alright. I'll call Ashlyn to get an address."
"Blackwell." Ashlyn answered the phone.
"Hey, Ash. Are you busy?" I asked.
"Nope. What do you need?" She asked.
"I need an address for Izzy Collins." I said.
"No problem. It's 1529 South Windsor in Queens." She answered after a moment.
"Thank you, Ash."
"Anything for you, Lily." I finally heard the smile in her voice.
Dani met us at Izzy's home just before we made contact.
"Yes? Wow! You're gorgeous." He said looking me up and down.
"I'm Dr. Lilian Russell, perhaps you've heard of me?"
"Heard of you? I practically worship you. Come in, friends. Apologies, for the mess. Just flew back this morning. Workers were supposed to be done with the new dungeon, but... guess not."
"The new dungeon?" Dani asked him.
"Yeah. For sex." He said matter-of-factly.
"So, what can I do for you?"
"We've come to see your guillotine. A woman was decapitated last night." I answered.
"Come on. Got my toys back this way."
Izzy lead us into the house and down the hallway and into a back room.
"Ah. There's my gilly." He pointed us towards a large guillotine in the center of the room.
"Wow." Malcolm mused.
"She's a beaut. Must be 1400 pounds?"
"1600." Izzy said beaming.
"Too heavy for our killer to move." Dani muttered.
"Maybe they didn't move it." Malcolm answered.
"Izzy, could you turn the lights off for us?" I asked.
"Anything for you. Give me just a minute to find the switch."
"This will pick up any blood spatter." I sprayed the blade along with the Lunette with a pocket sized bottle of Luminol.
"Bright, Can I ask you a personal question?" Dani stuttered drawing my gaze.
"Uh-huh." Malcolm muttered his eyes still on me.
"What's up with your mom and Gil?"
I forced myself to not laugh.
"Uh, nothing. Something. I don't know." Malcolm looked over at her.
"For the cocky profiler, you sure got blinders when it comes to your family." Dani sighed.
"Well, with my family, blinders are required." Malcolm winked at me.
"Found it!" Izzy called and lights clicked off.
The guillotine lit up like a damn Christmas tree.
"Guess we found our murder weapon." I sighed.
"What the hell? Is that blood?" Izzy asked coming back around the corner.
"Izzy, where were you last night?" Dani asked.
"On a jet. There were a dozen people to confirm it." He looked between us.
"Do you hear that?" Malcolm asked suddenly looking at me.
I paused and heard movement below us.
"What's under us?" I asked.
"Sex dungeon. Why?" He asked.
"Show us." I insisted.
Izzy lead us down a flight of stairs to a large brick wall.
"Bloody hell. Where'd this come from?" He exclaimed.
"Someone's back there." I said.
We heard movement from behind the wall.
"Why is someone back there?" Dani asked.
"I think it's an immurement. Another classic execution. The victim is entombed alive and left to die a slow death." Malcolm explained.
"Wonderful." I sighed.
Malcolm reached over and grabbed a pipe, slamming it into the wall.
"This reminds me of something rather uncomfortable." I muttered watching him break the wall down.
"Malcolm, what are you... Sure. Go ahead. Crawl right in." I sighed watching him disappear into the dungeon.
"Hello? Anyone there?" Malcolm's voice called.
He cried out drawing me towards the hole in the wall.
"Hello, Boyd." He said then looked up at me as I looked into the room at him laying sprawled on the floor.
"It ain't right. It ain't right!" A man with matted dark hair screamed at us.
His wrists in chains attached to the brick wall behind him.
"Found Boyd Hicks, Millie's boyfriend. He's alive. Call the EMTs. Get bolt cutters. And water. Lots of it." Malcolm explained.
"Dani, go." I told her before climbing into the dungeon.
"Izzy, come with me." Dani pulled him along with her.
"Help is on the way." Malcolm told Boyd as I helped him to his feet.
"Liar. You're a liar." Boyd spit at him.
Malcolm stood between me and Boyd protectively.
"You're experiencing psychosis brought on by malnourishment and dehydration. Did you see who did this to you?" Malcolm continued.
"It was you."
"You think I'm a killer?" Malcolm looked back at me.
"Malcolm." I whispered.
"You got death all over you." Boyd hissed at him.
I saw something flip behind Malcolm's eyes.
"Maybe I am a killer. A justice killer. You're here because you and Millie did a very bad thing back in Texas. You killed her husband." Malcolm moved and picked up a pair of leather gloves.
"Malcolm." I cautioned.
"Trust me."
"I didn't. I never..." Boyd muttered.
"What do we think Izzy plays in his sex dungeon? Huh." Malcolm looked at me turning on the music.
"Don't lie to me, Boyd." Malcolm picked up a leather flogger.
"Justice must be served!" He slammed the flogger against the head of a massage table next to him.
I bit my lip.
It shouldn't have turned me on but damn, it did.
"No, you're right. I'm not really a whips-and-flogging type of guy."
"Now, that's what I'm talking about." He picked up a nail gun.
"So, why did you kill her husband? Whoa! Hair trigger on this. Sorry, Boyd." Malcolm shot a nail from a nail gun into the wall near Boyd.
"I told you. I told you." Boyd muttered before Malcolm shot another nail towards him.
"Okay, okay, he cheated on her, and Millie, she tried to get away, but he said that he'd see her dead before she got a dime. That miserable old bastard, he deserved to die." Boyd admitted.
"So that's why I killed her quickly. Painlessly. But I'm torturing you because you did something worse. Hold that thought. I love these." Malcolm picked up a circular saw.
"Oh! Please! No! No! Okay, it was the caterer. It was the caterer." Boyd exclaimed.
"The kid they arrested for your murder." Malcolm nodded.
"It was those cops, pinning the murder on some kid barely out of high school." Boyd explained.
"What happened to the kid?" Malcolm pushed.
"Please let me go." Boyd looked at me.
"Tell me, Boyd." Malcolm pulled his attention away from me.
"It's Texas, man. They executed him."
"You let an innocent man die in your place. That's it. That's why I have to kill you."
Malcolm leaned forward with the circular saw.
"Bright!" Dani called his name looking at me incredulously.
"Oh, you're back. I was freeing him. You're welcome, Boyd." Malcolm looked between Dani and Boyd.
"Oh, I should take that. Hello?" Malcolm said answering his ringing phone
"I have never once called you that."
"What was he doing?" Dani asked me.
"Right. Got it. Not gonna do it." Malcolm said.
"Must be his mom. It's called roleplaying. It's a profiling technique. He puts himself in the shoes of the killer in order to learn more about him. It's a little extreme but he got a confession out of it." I shrugged.
"Right. Your visit. That's why you're trying on dresses. I can hear the hangers, Mumzie." Malcolm said with a sigh.
"Mumzie?" I wrinkled my forehead.
"I gotta go." Malcolm said loudly into the phone.
"'More Brightish than usual'?" Malcolm said walking up to us.
"Can you blame me?" She asked.
"You knew having Lily sidelined was hard for me."
"I want Millie's lawyer, Natalie. Someone from back home." Boyd said when the paramedics handcuffed him to the stretcher.
"Did we know that Natalie Barba was from Texas?" Dani asked.
"No, we did not." Malcolm shook his head.
"Just so you know, power tools will not be allowed in our bedroom. That flogger action though." I winked at my love before walking our of the dungeon.
Malcolm lead Dani and JT into the conference room I sat in after JT finished interrogating Natalie.
"Natalie is a justice seeker, but for her, that means clearing her brother's name, not murder. Our killer is after a different kind of justice. They're handing out death sentences like a judge, or... We should run down everyone involved in the case. Judge, prosecutors, even the jury. Millie and Boyd made them all complicit in Diego Vasquez's death." Malcolm spoke up touching the printed newspaper article on the execution.
"I'll check Texas DCJ. Is there anyone else we should find? Warden? Sheriff?" Dani asked.
"Yes. Add them and everyone who..." Malcolm paused.
"What happened, his brain break?" JT asked.
"Just wait." I held my hand up.
"We've been trying to solve a series of execution-style murders. What if the killer is the actual executioner? A student of the fatal arts." Malcolm looked at me.
"That would make sense." I nodded.
"If he found out about Natalie's investigation, he would know that he killed an innocent man. For his justice to be served, Millie and Boyd have to die."
"That's means and motive, but it'll take time to get his name from Texas, then we gotta find him." JT said.
"I might have another way." Malcolm looked at me.
"I'm going to hate this, aren't I?" I sighed.
"Here's the truth, off the record. We know that Natalie Barba didn't kill Millicent Lee, but she's agreed to work with us." Malcolm explained to Ainsley after she'd interviewed JT on Natalie Barba/Vasquez's arrest.
"We're looking for a justice seeker. If he hears we've got the wrong person, he'll have to contact us." He continued.
"And you'll contact me?" Ainsley asked.
"Of course. I'm a good big brother." He sighed leaning into me.
"The best. You saved me. Risked everything, and you haven't been the same since." She looked at him then at me.
"Jessica?" I answered the phone as I walked to the car in my parking garage at the FBI office.
"Did you know that Dani thinks it's my fault that Gil was stabbed that night?" She asked.
"No. I didn't know that. Are you sure that's what she meant?" I asked.
"What about that Jackie thought that the Whitly's are cursed?" She pushed.
"Also, no. I'll talk to Gil when I get a chance. I'm just about to head home. I had to pick up some files from the office."
My phone beeped with an incoming call.
"Malcolm's calling. I have to go."
"What did you do?" I asked him.
"Babe. I'm in trouble. Wait for backup." He said.
"Oh, like you do?" I asked.
"I love you. No matter what happens." He said.
"Malcolm!" I called his name throwing my car in reverse.
"What are you doing here?" Malcolm's voice asked.
"I was watching Izzy's place. Then you showed up. You found the guillotine. Found Boyd's immurement. Got me thinking, this is a man I've got to meet." A voice I didn't know answered.
"Now what?"
"You have the wrong person. Natalie Barba didn't kill Millie. Let her go."
"Problem is, she looks good for this murder. Just like her brother did back in Texas. You remember him, Tom? The innocent man you executed? That's why you murdered Millie, tortured Boyd. They made you a murderer."
"This scimitar is exquisite."
The weapons wall... Fuck.
I added Dani to the call just before flipping on my siren and flooring it.
"Thanks. The weight's a little off-balance. Affects the swing."
"You use this?"
"No. Of course not. Nobody actually uses a scimitar."
"Now that is a work of art. Nothing else compares to Norse craftsmanship. Tenth century?"
"Ninth, technically. Not to be that guy."
"I'm only gonna say this one more time. Let... Natalie... go."
"I'm sorry, Tom. This doesn't fit your profile. You're obsessed with justice. That's why you're not gonna hurt me. I'm innocent."
"About that. I've been watching you, Malcolm. Even followed you up to that asylum where they keep your old man. Got me thinking. Jailing Natalie. Visiting The Surgeon like a good son. Surrounding yourself with the tools of his trade. Maybe you're a killer just like him."
"That's the third time this week. I must be giving off murdery vibes. Is it my hair?"
"The way I see it, if I kill you with this executioner's axe, Natalie goes free."
"Got to be honest, Tom. I wish that made a lot less sense."
"I'm not a cruel man. I can make it quick."
"Do I have last words?"
"Of course."
"All right. Last words. Um... I used to think I was nothing like my father. But that's not entirely true. Truth is my father is a part of me. I can't deny it. That's how I understand killers. I'm like you."
"Malcolm Bright, I hereby sentence you to death."
"Oh. Uh, sorry. One more thing. I never hung up the phone."
"Damn it."
"Which means that, well, you've confessed to a few murders."
"I have another confession."
"All you do is talk!"
I heard the distinct sound of the axe splitting wood. Likely the desk.
"I lied. I'm great with a scimitar. I'm serious. Ask anyone on the Harvard fencing team."
"I'm gonna butcher you."
Metal on metal impacts steadily increased my anxiety. My car couldn't move fast enough for me.
Finally, I pulled up in front of the loft, threw the car in park and raced up the stairs with Dani directly behind me.
"JT's on his way too." She whispered to me.
I nodded and turned the doorknob before pushing the door open.
Malcolm stood over a tall man with long grey hair laying on the floor in what was our living room. The scimitar still in his hand.
"Baby? It's okay. Put the sword down now." I touched his hand causing him to look up at me.
He let go of the sword so I could take the handle.
Dani cuffed Tom and stood him up.
"Hey, police! Don't move! Hey, hey." I heard a male voice from outside.
"What the hell is that?" I muttered looking at Malcolm.
"Hands up!" Another voice asked after a moment.
"You heard him, okay? Hands up!" The first voice yelled.
"Yo, I got my badge!" I heard JT's voice call before the sound of a body hitting the wall.
I rushed out onto the landing.
Below me a uniformed officer had JT pinned to the wall of the building next to ours with his forearm pressing against his throat.
"Hey!" I called out running down the stairs, my badge in my hand.
JT shoved the officer away from him and he fell to the pavement.
I placed myself in between JT and the now enraged officer who tried to rush him.
"Dr. Lilian Russell, Chief of New York's FBI office." I identified myself holding my badge in front of me.
"Get that fake shit out of my face." The first officer smacked my badge out of my hand and swung on me hitting me squarely in the face.
He then slammed a fist directly into my scar from the stab wound beneath my ribs. I screamed out in pain but forced my leg up to knee him.
"Wait, wait! Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait! What are you doing? He's a detective!" Malcolm called running down the stairs.
The officer fighting with me tossed me to the ground. Malcolm rushed forward standing between us.
"Stop it. She identified herself. Did you even look at her badge?"
"Don't move. Don't move. Hands up!" The second officer yelled.
"My hands are up." JT said.
"Stop! Stop, stop, stop! He's one of us! He's a cop!" Dani showed her badge standing in front of JT
"I'm not... I'm not a threat."
The EMTs insisted on taking me to the hospital because of the direct hit to my stab wound.
After imaging I was released and returned to the precinct.
"Just wait. This is gonna fall on me." JT said his voice shaking as I walked up to the conference room door.
"You didn't do anything wrong." Malcolm reminded him.
He stood with his hands on the back of a chair.
"Doesn't matter. I know how this is gonna go." JT sighed shaking his head.
"It doesn't have to. You tell them what happened, and we will back you up." Dani tried to soothe him.
"They'll say I assaulted him. I'm done." JT said.
"No, you're not." Gil said laying his hand on my shoulder from behind me.
I moved to the side so he could pass me to stand in front of JT.
"You've been running this unit like a pro, Tarmel. I know what happened tonight. And I got your back. So, you go home, you kiss that wife of yours and you tell her that you caught the bad guy. You're a good cop, JT. No matter what people say, those still exist. I'm looking at three of the best. And whatever Bright is." Gil smiled at Malcolm.
"Are you okay?" Malcolm asked me handing me my badge.
"My hero." I smiled stepping into his arms..
"I'm fine. It's cowards like that that are giving cops a bad name." I shook my head.
"They're not cops, Lily. They're racist cowards."
"I'm taking both of their badges. I'm going to make sure these charges stick."
"Oh, I know you are. You always protect your own." He smiled at me.
"Are you sure this is a good idea?" I asked as Malcolm and I walked hand in hand down the hallway to Martin's cell.
"I never am." He admitted.
"Where's Jerry?" Malcolm asked as we walked in.
"I took care of him. No, I literally took care of him. His doctors took my suggestion to try electroconvulsive therapy." He explained when we just looked at him.
"I don't understand." I shook my head.
"You don't want to. But all's well that ends well. Jerry's off in the infirmary getting better, which means it's just us three. Let's talk turkey. By which I mean murder." Martin smiled at us.
"I'm not feeling it." Malcolm muttered beside me.
"I noticed. What's wrong?" Martin asked his son in a rare show of concern.
"We covered up a murder. Violated everything we believe in. We stop killers. We don't help them." Malcolm shook his head.
"Ainsley killed a powerful man with powerful friends. She wouldn't have survived that night without you both. She's not like us."
"Said the serial killer." Malcolm growled.
"Said the father. Will you do something for me? Come closer. To the line." Martin looked between us.
Malcolm looked at me before we stepped forward towards the line.
"What do you..." Malcolm stopped short when his father grabbed ahold of our joined hands.
"Thank you. Thank you for saving my little girl. You realize that, don't you? You saved your sister. Please, don't torture yourself for that." Martin looked more at Malcolm in that moment than me.
He knew I was the one who told Malcolm to call his father. He knew I knew exactly who Ainsley would face if it got out what she'd done.
"Or maybe that's not it. Maybe there's another reason that you're full of so much pain." Martin looked closely at him.
"What are you talking about?" I shook my head.
"Getting away with murder. Walking the streets, knowing the truth. It's intoxicating. Tell me your imagination isn't stoked, knowing what it takes, what you are now capable of."
"Stop it, Martin." I growled.
"People think we're crazy. No one in their right mind would be a killer. The thing is, they don't know the truth. Murder is the ultimate thrill. Maybe you're all torn up inside because getting away with murder didn't feel bad at all. No. It felt good."
"Stop it! Can't you see how you're hurting him? Don't you care at all?" I asked glaring at him.
"Come on. Let's go home."
"What if he's right?" Malcolm asked as we got into my car.
"He's not. He never has been. Ainsley killed Endicott because he stepped towards you; to protect you. We cleaned it up to protect her. End of story." I insisted.
"I hate that he gets to me like this."
"Baby, he has spent your whole life manipulating you. It's time we focus on helping JT. On our wedding."
"You're right. Of course you're right."