Chapter 10

Isabella

A servant bows, holding out the mail plate with a single letter sitting on it. I take it, dismissing the boy. "Who is it from cousin?"

"Our dear uncle, George Seys."

"Whatever could he want?"

"Hush, let me read it."

20th Masso 1606

My dear niece,

Alice and I were delighted to hear that our beloved Isabella has captured the heart of our fair king and become his beloved queen. Although, I must admit we were saddened, and poor Alice was distressed, to have not received an invitation to your wedding or coronation. Now, of course we understand that higher ranking nobles must be invited, but shouldn't family mean something to you, after all, blood is thicker than water. But, we do hope that you received our gift, as we spent so long trying to find the perfect one.

Isabella, we bear no ill will towards you, we humbly ask to visit you soon. We have not seen eachother in so long, and I know your cousins would love to see you again. They are quite jealous that you spend so much time with John Gifford. We miss you terribly and it seems as if you have not written to us in the longest time.

Your loving uncle,

George Seys

P.S. and I must say dear, don't take the war too much to heart.

"I cannot believe the nerve of that man!" I throw the letter at the wall, sagging onto the couch next to John.

"What did our dear uncle say this time?"

"He had the audacity to call me rude to not invite him and 'poor' Alice to the wedding or coronation! And then he pulls the blood is thicker than water, oh yes it is dear uncle when it is boiling like magma! Then, oh then he says "we miss you so much" and practically invites himself to my palace! Oh, I should have him sent to Cheno."

"You wouldn't send him to Cheno, would you?"

"No, but I would like to tell him that I was sending him to Cheno."

"I think he would faint on the spot."

"When you tell him, make sure I'm there."

"I will."

"Good girl."

"If you pat my head, I swear to God I will throw a box at you."

"I don't believe you."

"Try me."

John reaches over trying to touch the top of my head as I quickly stand, stepping out of his reach. I snatch the small box off of the table and brandish it, trying to stifle my smile. He grabs the abandoned throw pillow off the floor, holding it like a shield. He laughs, dropping the pillow, and lavishly throws himself onto the couch, speaking of old childhood memories.

<><><>

I walk through the halls and see Edmond Maston walking in my direction. "Lord Manston, I hear you are going to Umen. I wish you the best of luck."

"Thank you, Your Majesty, I wish you the same when you rule this country alone during your husband's visit to Varis."

My smile freezes, "Excuse me, Lord Manston, I'm afraid I know naught what you speak of."

"Forgive me, ma'am, I thought you knew."

"Knew what?"

"A week from now, His Majesty is going to Varis; he is going to be gone for at least a few weeks. I believe he is going to speak with King Alexander about the war."