Chapter 24

Isabella

"Isabella, my love."

I look up from my needlepoint, eyeing my bare-chested husband laying on the couch across from me. "Yes, Edward?"

"I would like to go on a walk, outside, in the Mother's Garden."

"What did Doctor Hale say?" I arch a brow.

"He told me not to do anything overly strenuous; I do not think that going on a short walk outside with my beautiful wife will be taxing."

"Are you trying to sweeten me into saying yes?"

"Is it working?"

"No."

"Then my answer is no. But I really would love to go on a walk with you."

I sigh, eyeing the bandages covering his torso. "Very well; put a shirt on."

<><><>

"Do you remember the first time we walked in this garden together?" I ask.

"It was the middle of fall, right after an annoyingly long council meeting; you walked directly into me, apologizing like a mad woman. We managed to have a decent conversation before one of my ministers stepped in and drew me away so that I could go to another meeting."

"Oh how much simpler those days were."

"People were still dying."

"But we weren't facing a war."

"Quite true my love."

"Do you think we'll ever get to rebuild the Mother's Garden like we said we would?"

"Yes; and if you would like, we can begin today."

"Today?"

"Well, I don't think we could do very much; but I'm sure we could start digging up some flowers near the edges and try planting some new ones in their place. The gardener has plenty of spare plants; I'm sure he would let us have them."

"I will go get them, wait here."

<><><>

"Excuse me, are you Mr. Corby?"

The middle-aged man bows deeply, "I am Majesty. How may I help you?"

"I was wondering if you had any spare flowers? Edward and I always wanted to redo the flowers around the bushes in the Mother's garden and figured we should at least do something now."

"Of course. Help me get everything ready will you?"

I smile, "Yes, thank you."

I follow him through the green house as he places tools and the plants I hand him into the wheelbarrow.

<><><>

He sets the legs of the wheelbarrow on the grass. "There you are Majesties, I'll come back to pick up the tools when you're done."

"Thank you, Mr. Corby."

We watch as he walks back towards the greenhouse. Edward kneels in the dirt and begins to dig a hole. "Hand me the white peonies."

"Here you are."

"Thank you, love."

<><><>

"That's the last one."

We stand and take a step back, looking at all we have completed. The knees of our clothes will never be clean again. Soil is everywhere, flower petals of every size and color litter the earth. The line of flowers is jagged and uneven. "Our work is atrocious."

"It's not that bad."

"Really?"

"It was a dream and a labor of love that we accomplished."

"Yes, it was. But, as soon as we get up to the palace you are going to see Hale."

"Are you going to do this every time we go out?"

"For the next week."

"If it will keep you from worrying I will go."

"Thank you."

<><><> TW: Skip the first paragraph if panic attacks trigger you. It is very lightly written but yeah. Just letting you know.

I am a ship, a tiny ship on the vast brewing sea. The wind ripples through the water, waves forming, gently hitting my sides. But they turn violent, a hurricane ripping my sails and smashing against me, splintering my wood. The winds shaking my limbs, water filling my lungs. I can't breathe, I can't stop shaking, I'm going to die, my baby's going to die, my hu- Edward's going to die. My country burned to the ground, papa's going to bury the last of his girls. Pain runs up my thighs, quick, uneven breaths escape me, tears like little rivers, running down my cheeks. Gentle hands touch my shoulders, and arms move to wrap around me, a soft voice filling my ears. The wind begins to cease, I hear the voice telling me that my family is alive. The boat's anchors are thrown into the water, water still rages like rapids around me. Breathing becomes easier and words pour from my lips. The woman continues to hold me, telling me about my family and coaxing me to breathe. The storm slows to a stop as my anchors hold steadfast. "Majesty, are you alright?"

"I-I-I don't know."

"Where is your husband?"

"With- with the Doc- Doctor."

"Alright; we're going to get you off the floor and on to something more comfortable, then we will loosen your corset and you are going to drink some water."

Rebecca takes my hands and lifts me off the floor, walking me over to the couch. I sit and she begins to unbutton the back of my gown, revealing my tightly strung corset. A few minutes pass as she loosens the laces. "Sit here while I grab you some water."

She stands up and walks across the room, she pours a glass of water and hands it to me. She waits patiently next to me for a few minutes. "What happened Majesty?"

"Everything just came at me, like everything has just been tearing at the surface; I hear all of the terrible news but I don't really hear it. And then I just was hit by all of it."

"Ma'am has this happened before?"

"I'm sure it's nothing but stress; after all, I'm having a baby during a war where half of the known world wants me, my child and husband dead."

"Majesty, I do not mean any disrespect but you need to be more careful and probably see a doctor; these episodes are dangerous."

"I'm fine, I am just stressed."

"Ma'am please."

"I am perfectly fine Lady Rebecca, there is no need for you to be concerned."

"As you wish it, YourMajesty."

"Thank you, you may leave me."

She exits my chambers, leaving me with my thoughts.

A/N: Thank you so much for reading! I know I'm a day late, I'm sorry. I ended up having to work most of the day and was super tired when I got home.
I will see you all next week.
All my love,
M
❤️⚔️