Chapter 1

Isabella Victoria

The sound of the arrow striking the railing echos in my ears. I look down at the arrow, buried in the railing, an inch away from our intertwined hands. For the first time in the last frozen minute, I notice something wrapped around it, before arms wrap around me. Someone screams for guards and chaos begins to unfold around me. People scream and run, as guards try to keep them in the cathedral courtyard. The doors to the cathedral burst open and palace guards rush into the building. The men begin to close the people into the courtyard and search for someone with a bow. Someone pulls me away from the balcony and guards surround Edward and I. The doors to the cathedral balcony close behind us. Ahead of us, guards rush down the spiral staircase. At the bottom of the stairs, the Archbishop waits for us. "What is happening here?"

"Someone attacked their Majesties."

"Why?"

"We do not know, but they need to leave."

"Their carriage has just arrived."

"Thank you, Archbishop."

The formation of the guards changes and we walk through the cathedral, towards the carriage entrance. Shouting from outside fills the cathedral and all of our ears. The doors at the carriage entrance are pulled open and a footman opens the carriage door. "Hurry Isabella."

Guards close the circle around us, two guards enter the carriage with Edward and I. Another guard closes the carriage door and the carriage jolts forward. Silence surrounds us and the clopping of horses hooves against the cobblestones echoes in the carriage. Edward's fingers intertwine with mine.

<><><>

When we reach the palace, a guard opens the door and Edward and I are rushed into the palace.

"Call the Medu Council. Now."

"Of course Your Majesty."

Edward pulls me into a vacant room. "Are you alright?"

"I'm fine, just shocked."

Relief floods his face. "Thank God."

"Edward?"

"Yes?"

"Do you-" think they wanted us dead? "Never mind, it was a foolish question."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, we should get to the council room."

A/N: It's finally out! Yes I know I promised the first chapter last week but I had a lot of homework and never go to editing. I will probably post 1-3 more chapters today. How was your holidays? Stay safe. -M