CAMELOT

AUTHOR NOTE: The image above is what I believe Athena to look like with darker hair 

ATHENA

I tossed and turned on the ground in front of the fire trying not to wake the others I was travelling with, I hated sleeping in my armour but I had no choice. I wriggled trying to get comfortable but after another futile attempt I growl and sit up deciding that I would take watch instead, I got up and walked over to Alaric who gave me a surprised look.                                              

"I thought you were asleep?" he said and I laughed shaking my head.                                                        

"I wish I can't sleep" I said and he glanced at me curiously, before he could ask I indicated my bedroll and continued "Why don't you get some sleep I'll take over" he nodded knowing that it was unwise to argue and left placing his own bedroll near the fire. 

I looked up at the sky trying to force the tears away, it wasn't just the fact that I was sleeping in my armour that made it difficult it was what this day represented. 

I clinched my fists shaking my head, today was the day; the day that I had lost my kingdom, the day I had lost my family.....

Ten summers may have passed since then but the pain had never dulled, in fact it seemed to get worse with every passing year. 

Taking a deep breath I looked out towards the edge of the forest where I could just make out the watch fires of Camelot shinning in the distance. I didn't even know why I wanted to go to Camelot it was extremely dangerous for people like me but I could feel myself being pulled in that direction as if someone/thing was calling to me. 

I looked to the west where I knew to be mountains, within those mountains was a valley and past that valley was my kingdom Thea. I missed my home so much, I missed the sound of the market where kids would run and play, I missed the sound of enormous wings as dragons flew overhead but most of all I missed my family; Some days I would turn to talk to my twin only to find empty space and my heart would break even further, Merlin had been the best part of me, he had known me better than anyone and living without him......

Tears slipped down my face but I ignored them, I didn't want to remember that awful day when Ramsey had betrayed us, the day I had lost everything but it was forever burned into my mind.

The forest around me changed into a throne room, and I found myself stuck in a flashback. 

FLASHBACK 

My mother Queen Hunith had called me from the training field and I was laughing at something Sir Gawain had said when we walked in, I took one look at her and a knot formed in my stomach and I was suddenly uneasy. I glanced apprehensively at my friends who had both tensed hands hovering above their swords. 

Ramsey was sitting on my brother's throne causally tossing a dagger in the air and I glared at him barely stopping the growl that was clawing its way up my throat, I didn't like my cousin (he had tried to kill me after all) and the feeling was mutual. He had been banished from Thea after the incident. I may have only been ten but I pulled out my sword and pointed it at him 

"What the hell are you doing here?" I said extremely grateful that my voice didn't shake, Ramsey knew I was scared of him or I had been ever since the incident and I resisted the urge to rub a hand across my ribs where I still held the scar. 

Ramsey just raised an eyebrow at me clearly unimpressed, he glanced at my mother and I followed his gaze frowning when I realised that she wasn't doing anything. Why was she just standing there? How had Ramsey even gotten through the gates, let alone into the throne room? Most importantly why weren't the guards doing anything? Everybody knew that Ramsey had been banished.