THE KINGDOM OF THEA

MERLIN 

Merlin blinked at the ceiling, he should be sleeping but he couldn't turn his mind of. 

He sighed giving it up as hopeless he walks quietly out of his room into the main room being careful not to wake Gaius who was snoring softly. Arthur had offered to put him in the room next to his in the castle but Merlin had refused not liking the idea of going to sleep in some random chambers within the castle. 

Merlin started walking not paying attention to where he was going his thoughts running in circles, the war council was useless all the information that he had was over ten years old. He wanted to help Arthur he just wasn't sure how, this wasn't what he had commonly had to deal with; sure he protected Arthur everyday but that was from bandit attacks or some magical creature. 

They hadn't really been in a war battles sure but not a full blown war. 

Merlin growled he hated feeling this way, like he didn't have a clue on what to do. His thoughts drifted back to several years ago when Morgause had tried to take over and he found himself facing an army that couldn't be killed, Freya had helped him then and he wished he could seek her advice again. 

Maybe he should go and talk to his sister, nodding to himself he started heading towards his sister's chambers intending to ask what he should do, instead he found himself standing in front of Arthurs door, indecision was making him queasy and he yelped when someone came out of the shadows.

"My Lord?" Merlin turned glaring at the use of his title but sighed when he saw it was only George. 

Of course it was George he was on duty tonight, he had probably just finished and was heading back to his home when he saw Merlin lurking outside his masters chambers.

"George" Merlin said inclining his head and smiled at him though it probably looked strained, the manservant bowed.

"Do you need anything shall I get Gilli?" he asked and Merlin quickly shook his head. 

"No thank you George I was just clearing my head" 

The young man nodded and continued on his way Merlin letting out a sigh of relief as he passed out of sight. Arthur was probably going to kill him for this but he pushed the door open and walked into the kings chambers.         

Arthur was already asleep and Merlin sighed again rubbing the back of his neck a blush climbing his cheeks. Merlin walked over to the bed in the pretence of making sure that George had done his job properly though he just wanted to be close to the king. Merlin brushed some hair back from his face but quickly withdrew his hand in concern, Arthur was sweating as if he was running a fever, eyes flashing gold he let his magic flow through him into Arthur trying to find the source and sighed in relief when he found nothing. 

No illness or poison nothing to suggest that there was something wrong, eyes narrowing in concern he gave Arthur another look. Arthur was tossing and turning eyes flickering under his closed lids and a whimper escaped his throat, Merlin shook his head wanting to face palm, Arthur was having a nightmare.

"Arthur?" Merlin said reaching over to shake his shoulder but Arthur didn't stir, grumbling Merlin tried again harder this time.

"Arthur wake up it's just a nightmare" he continued to shake the king and jumped when he heard his name.

"Merlin no......please" 

Arthur thrashed around and Merlin was startled to see tears slip out from his eyes. 

Merlins heart broke at the scene unfolding before him, clearly Arthur wasn't as recovered from Merlins near death experience as he had been letting on. Not knowing what else to do Merlin climbed onto the kings bed pulling Arthur into his arms and stroking the hair out of his face trying to sooth him.