Chapter 12 - The expedition

The next morning Trevor woke up earlier than his usual time. At night William hadn't even tried pretending that he had been sleeping for longer than four hours, and now he was sitting with one leg crossed and looking out the window. As water drops were hitting the glass, it was obvious that it hadn't stopped raining since yesterday and had got even stronger.

If the forest's aura changed a bit, it wouldn't be so gloomy around. The sky took on a grey shade instead of a blue one, making it more like an evening outside. The tree trunks weren't exactly brown and the grass wasn't green either.

Trevor got up and sat down. His hair was a mess as was his bedding. 'Morning,' he said while rubbing his eyes.

'Good morning.' The response came at once, but it was rather weak and withdrawn.

He stood up to join the blond. 'Big day, huh?'

However, William walked off immediately. 'I have doubts if you should really come.' He crossed the entire room, not daring to look at Trevor once. Then he turned to him with a concerned expression and arms crossed. 'What if something happens to you?'

'Oh, stop it. I can take care of myself.'

'Against humans, Trevor! Werewolves are nothing alike. What if they attack us?'

'Dude, you're so pessimistic.' Trevor approached him with a smile. 'Let's suppose they won't, okay? What would be their reason anyway?'

'I don't know.' He sighed through his nostrils.

'See? There's nothing to be afraid of.' Trevor tapped the blond's shoulder in order to cheer him. 'Besides, we'll stick together. It's safer than a solo mission, isn't it?'

William shrugged like he had nothing else to do. 'True, you might be right. And as I think about it, I might be overreacting.' After that he made his way to the door, and started pulling on his jacket. 'Get dressed while I get us the list of ingredients from Eleonora. I hope she's awake,' he said and put his hood on before stepping out into the rain.

There was no rain jacket to be found in the van so he had to settle on a hoodie, which would without doubt get drenched after a few-minute walk. Trevor rushed to the hut while his trainers' soles were sinking deep into mud. He panted for a moment before overhearing an intense conversation from behind the closed door.

'I can't watch you ruining your life again and do nothing!' snapped Eleonora's voice. 'You can't just leave them and take their snack with you, William. He's like a human-sized bait, except that you don't want them to catch it. No. Why would you? You'd rather protect him! You're putting yourself in danger! Can't you see it?'

Something slapped some solid surface in the background.

'You'd be better off leaving him there for a certain death, Eleonora?' Now William's voice joined the discussion.

'Somehow it didn't bother you before he showed up,' she growled. 'I'm reminding you that you were a part of it!'

'What if I've changed, huh?'

'Then what's so special about him? That he came out of nowhere and changed you? That he took your vampire instinct—'

Suddenly, their argument fell dead silent. It happened a moment before Trevor joined them. Reason of that sudden stop was of course questionable, but he had no intention of investigating it. He couldn't help interrupting it anyway, since it was about him in the first place. He didn't want to hear something that no one would tell him face-to-face. Neither he wanted to hear something that would be said in an outburst of emotions.