Chapter 38 - William

TW/CW — mention of supernatural being's suicide

Trevor couldn't believe his eyes when he saw their van standing in the forest they hadn't even taken it to. William had told him and Eleonora to sleep there, and so the best person to ask was Eleonora. Especially now, since she was unfolding the sleeping bag on the floor. Of course, Trevor got the couch, as his leg wasn't healing well enough lately.

"How the fuck is this van here?" he asked, sitting down on the couch to look at her.

Eleonora straightened up and smiled. "I sent the werewolves its location as soon as we got out of that wicked warehouse. I had a phone, didn't I?"

He furrowed his brows. "Since when can you contact them?"

"Austin gave me his number when we were leaving them in the hut. Oh, don't pull this face. You weren't with me. I left you two alone for a moment, don't you remember?"

"Okay, it does ring a bell. Why did he give you it? Didn't you beat and tie him up?"

"Well," she began, putting her hands on her waist, "it's complicated. He didn't give me it exactly. I made him do it. But I got it in the end, didn't I?"

"I don't know if it works that way, but if you say so. It kind of saved us there."

"Yeah," she admitted in a low voice. He assumed she was thinking about Daniel's death while saying that.

After that, there wasn't much talking, as they both went to sleep quite early. Their bodies forgot how it was to have a regular sleeping schedule.

William came by in the morning. Eleonora was still asleep, while Trevor couldn't sleep anymore, so he'd sat up and did nothing else than watch the ceiling or walls. The vampire shot him a smile as he appeared in the doorway. He knew what it meant, so he signalised for him to give him a moment and he would join him.

As soon as he left, William told him they needed two folding chairs for them to sit in. So they came back and tried their best not to wake Eleonora up. By this time they figured out on many occasions Eleonora was a heavy sleeper. Trevor couldn't believe Eleonora hadn't yet got an instinct of waking up by even the quietest of noises as he had. On the other hand, it could tell him how much Eleonora had gone through and that this journey clearly hadn't been her first serious and dangerous one.

Yesterday, or even earlier, the snow had begun to melt and, over the night, disappeared completely, leaving only paddles and muddy, wet spots as the reminder of its former existence. They unfolded the chairs, less than a metre from each other, far off so no one could eavesdrop their conversation. Some of them had probably heard this story already. Trevor thought Eleonora and Jackson had, but maybe William didn't want them to relive everything all over again. He was the only one who had agreed to do so.

Trees and bushes surrounded them, only the sound of a swooshing stream missing in the background.

"So," he said, crossing his legs; he was now sitting the same way Trevor had found him at the lake. "Where should I begin?"

"Where you want to, I guess. It's not like I know a lot about him."

He arched an eyebrow at him. "Didn't you mean you knew nothing?"

He wondered if telling William the truth would harm or make him question his trust in Eleonora. They seemed close after all, so it shouldn't affect her.

"Eleonora told me a bit. But she didn't go deep into the details. I don't know how Gilbert died."

"Oh—" William opened his mouth, clearly searching for the most appropriate words he could think of, but closed it shortly after. "Well, in this case, I may as well retell Gilbert's—and then our—entire story. What do you think?"