Chapter 21 - The confrontation

'Welcome back.' William's soft voice sounded in the previously quiet room.

Everyone was close to each other. Eleonora was sitting in a chair, as was Trevor, while William had taken his place on a counter, the brunet's hand in his. There were two silhouettes in front of them, and they weren't sleeping anymore. They began to open their eyes; Austin was taking it slow, as if he was unsure of what he was going to see, whereas the witch hunter opened them at once and was now grinning at them.

It was a positive change of scenery this time. As they weren't the ones who had been kidnapped, they were in charge. Each of them couldn't be more grateful for that. They had wrapped a rope around their prisoners, tying them to their seats. Given that it was the most durable one they could find, they weren't going anywhere.

The stranger spoke first. 'I see everyone's here. What a warm greeting.'

'Don't expect one every day,' Eleonora said firmly. She saw with the corner of her eye that Austin was staring at her. 'We won't be always that nice.'

'May I ask where we are?' He tried leaning forwards, but the rope stopped him midway.

'You just did.' William shot him a mocking smile. 'Don't try that again. You won't get an answer anyway.'

What was strange was that the man, in fact, shut up. Although no one had expected that, it had happened. No one was complaining about that state. William let go of Trevor's hand, then leaned forwards, successfully, his fingers coming together.

'You're going to tell us how to open that cage,' the blond commanded, not a hint of asking in his tone.

'What if I'm not?'

William chuckled. Now he started to understand pieces of the man's previous behaviour. Being in charge boosted your confidence. 'Too bad you're a human. We have plenty of options here. By that I mean plenty of tortures to choose from, of course.'

'Sorry to disappoint you, but tortures don't work on me.' Him looking away was a sign that he wasn't entirely sure about that.

'We'll see about that,' Eleonora said, her eyebrows wiggling a few times. 'You know that there's almost endless knowledge on the Internet? My favourite invention of humanity. No doubt.'

'How are you so confident?'

The blond smiled and went on to explain, 'Honestly? We don't have much to lose since we're trying to help our ex-friend, not ourselves.'

Eleonora was nodding along, but Trevor wasn't as confident as the rest of them yet. He remembered emptiness in the stranger's eyes when he had pulled the trigger of the gun that was aimed at William. There had been no hesitation in his eyes. He would have killed them if he had got the chance. They were lucky to survive.

The stranger shifted in his chair. 'Can we negotiate?'

Now a full-on laugh left the vampire's lungs, his head jerking to the back. 'Negotiate? With us? There's no way. You're going to do as you're told. We're not going to let our prisoner have any deals.'

'In that case, I'm not saying anything and you're not going to find the key.' He shrugged. 'I suppose you've already searched through my clothes, so you know that I don't have it on me.'

'You're right. We did,' Eleonora admitted. 'You're unusually skinny.' She winced.

'Well, that's my business.'

'I wouldn't say otherwise,' she said.

William stood up. 'So where are we starting? Water boarding or... Eleonora, how was it called?'