Chapter 24

It was cold outside, but no colder than I was. Why did I think wearing a dress at night would be okay? Memories of the night came flooding back to me, and I remembered that I didn't think it was okay. I didn't plan for any of this.

STOP BLAMING YOURSELF! My voice, which had been silent all night, screamed at me now as the mental fog began to clear. I wore a dress that didn't show my body shape. I asked a boy who was considered family up to my bedroom because I had no idea that he would want to hurt me. It wasn't my fault.

"Fuck Liam." I said out loud, and it felt so good that I said it twice. It reminded me of the harsh things I had told Dominic, but I shoved those out of my brain and let the anger consume me. I was angry earlier, and I thought I was angry at myself, but I wasn't. I was angry because people like Liam and my uncle and his friend were in this world hurting children, hurting girls, hurting people, and I couldn't stop them. I couldn't change them, and so I thought I needed to change myself.

 "FUCK LIAM!" I shouted to the quiet street, praying no kids had their windows open. My blood began boiling and I jumped from the streetlight, onto the sidewalk.

"HOW DARE YOU!" I screamed at no one, tightening my fists so hard my knuckles ached, relishing in the sound of my own voice. "AHH!" I yelled again forcefully, exhaling all the tension from the night.

"FUCK YOU UNCLE!" I admit, letting the tears fall into place and pour once more. I was surprised that they stopped after only one or two fell. I had no tears left to cry, only words left to say. I looked at the house with the address I had given to Asher and then closed my eyes, picturing my own house in its place. Not the Anders mansion which had become a home, but my real house with its ratty shutters and metal gate. I pictured my uncle in there.

"YOU MISOGYNISTIC CRUEL ABUSIVE MOTHERFUCKING MONSTER!" I bellowed with fury.

"Remind not to get on your bad side." A voice said from behind me. I fell back in surprise and whirled to see a black Camaro with the passenger side window rolled down.

I leaned my head down to the car's height.

"Asher?" I asked, squinting into the darkness to see him.

"Yeah, Maya?"

I ran to open the door and got inside. He looked completely baffled at what he had just seen. I wasn't sure how much he caught of my performance, but I must've been screaming loud enough to muffle the sound of his car. I smiled at him innocently and then giggled when I couldn't help myself anymore. His expression was entirely mystified.

"Do you know someone who lives in that house?" he asked, face tightening as he tried to piece it together and understand my actions.

"Nope," I replied cryptically, shaking my head and laughing once more.

"And are you aware you're not wearing shoes?" he questioned, nodding his head in the direction of my cold bare feet.

"Yes, I am," I said happily, pushing them up closer to the hot air vent at our feet.

"Am I ever going to figure you out?" he asked with clear bemusement as he shifted his car into first gear, and we began driving. I left my window down and let the cold air fill me up and cool me down. The anger seeped from my body as we drove. 

"If you ever do," I said, sticking my arm out the window and feeling the breeze, "will you let me know what's happening?" 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- -- - - - - - - 

A/N It had been a while! I haven't had any energy or motivation in writing this story, but your comments and encouragement helped me a lot. Here's what you've been waiting for! More coming soon. 

Also if you don't like that actor up top, don't worry, that's not exactly how I picture Asher but it works for right now.