I. D-197

I shoved a spoonful of cereal into my mouth while nearing my aunt who was sitting on the couch, her eyes fixed on the TV.
„Do you have to watch this first thing in the morning?", I asked her.
„Psst!", she shushed me and leaned forward to concentrate even more on what was going on in her favorite TV show.
I sighed and sat down next to her.
„I really don't understand why you like to watch this so much", I said and munched on my breakfast.
„Don't you need to go to school or something?", my aunt replied.
„Did you make me lunch?", I wanted to know.
Now my aunt finally looked at me. She was the younger sister of my mother. She was definitely the beautiful sibling. That was one of the reasons I liked being an only child. No pretty sibling I had to compare myself to.
„Your Mum didn't say anything about making you lunch", she said.
„My Mum also didn't say she wouldn't be here for the first day of my senior year", I said and squinted my eyes at her. I knew it wasn't my aunts fault that my Mum was stuck in Hawaii for a couple more days. She had gone there for work - that's what she had told me after all - and my aunt was watching me for the time being. I thought it was a little unnecessary leaving her 17 year-old daughter with her aunt. I was perfectly capable of taking care of my own.
„Give me money for lunch then", I said. I grabbed my school blazer and my backpack. „And you should really stop watching that show. The concept of unconditional and never ending love is so outdated", I added.
„It is not", my aunt replied. She gave me a couple of dollars and pushed me towards the front door.
„Where is your husband then?", I asked. „Or where is my Mum's husband?", I added. I refrained from calling him my Dad. I didn't have such a thing.
„You shouldn't be so negative. Just because your Mum and me didn't find the right person yet, doesn't mean we can't find them eventually", my aunt tried to defend her idea of living her life.
„I still think it's bullshit to just sit around and wait for mister perfect to come along. Why don't you do your own thing instead? Why are you so obsessed with finding a guy, having a relationship? Why do people need love? What are you trying to compensate?"
My aunt interrupted me: „Syd! Just shut up. Nobody needs your negativity"
„It's not negativitiy. It's reality", I replied while my aunt was basically kicking me out of my own house.
I was already kind of late and luck had to be on my side if I wanted to catch the bus on time.
‚I'm afraid I'm gonna be left stranded by myself. All the foolish dreams I had inside of me are broken. Everything I wanted in the distance out of reach. Am I the only that's gonna stay here forgotten?', was running through my ears when I had almost reached the bus station.
The traffic light jumped to red as I was putting a foot on the street. I kept walking, ignoring the honking cars. Their light was red still anyways so why the rush?
A man got out of his car and before I could reach the other side of the street he was standing right in front of me. I was startled as he grabbed the cord of my earphones and pulled them out of my ears at once. I knew I should've invested in a pair of bluetooth earphones like everyone was wearing them these days. I wondered how he would've pulled those out.
„What the...", I complained and raised my eyes to look at the man's face.
My right eye started twitching when I saw how handsome he was. He wore a dark blue suit that hugged his slender body perfectly.
„Red", he said.
I blinked at him in confusion. „What?"
He then pointed at the traffic light that was glowing in a bright red color.
„Did nobody teach you what the red light means?", he asked.
I wasn't sure what to reply. He looked exactly like someone who would appear in one of my aunt's dating shows. Until now I had thought guys like him wouldn't exist, at least not anywhere near where I lived. His looks were out of this world. His black hair covered his forehead and most of his eyebrows, his dark eyes sparkled at me in the color of mud, just they were way more beautiful than mud. Maybe it was more of a soil color. Was that a better describtion? His skin looked flawless and his lips... don't even get me started on his lips.
„Could I take a picture of you?", I asked him.
Now it was him who seemed confused. He raised an eyebrow and tilted his head.
I fished my phone out of my pocket ready to take his photo.
„What are you doing?", he snatched the phone away from me, right when I released the shutter, leaving a blurry mess on the screen.
I surely couldn't use that as reference for drawing my webtoon.
The light switched to green and another concert of honking cars filled the streets.
„It's green now", I said and while the stranger turned around to check, I managed to get my phone back. „Smile!", I went and took a bunch of pictures of him. One should be useful. And with that I took off with full speed.
„Hey!", he yelled after me. „Stop right there."
But the honking cars and angry drivers made it impossible for him to follow me.
Because that guy had held the traffic my bus had been stuck too and I was comfortably able to get on and get to school only slightly late. I could call myself lucky that day.