Slowly

Waking up was more of a hassle. Surprisingly, Shikamaru woke up before Naruto, the blond ninja completely knocked out on top of him. He didn't mind the additional weight as much as he thought he would- not if it was Naruto. Sighing, he decided to lay there quietly, one hand resting on Naruto's waist, tugging him closer as the blond snored away on his chest, using his other hand to run his fingers through the blond mess of hair, not able to stop the smile itching to appear as Naruto visibly relaxed in his hold.

To think he would fall in love with his best friend of all people. Years ago, if you told Shikamaru that he would be bold enough to kiss Naruto, he wouldn't have believed you, due to the obvious crush the blond had on Sasuke. He was a lucky man, he couldn't deny that fact. "Shika?" a voice called, clearly laced with exhaustion as it reached out to him.

"Here" he replied, as if their bodies weren't latched on to each other, giving Naruto's hip a gentle squeeze before looking down at the blond in question.

"I'm so tired..." Naruto mumbled, rubbing his eyes as he sat up, causing Shikamaru's hand to fall from his head to zip the sleeping bag open a little. "Do we have to get up now?" he asked, turning around to face Shikamaru, looking down at the other male with a tired smile.

"Anyone would be tired after crying that much" the brunet replied, sighing as he also sat up, his hand never leaving Naruto's waist, "I think we can rest some more, since Kakashi isn't up and about yet."

That seemed to be the correct answer as Naruto brought his hand up to cup Shikamaru's cheek, his small smile still present as he looked up at the brunet. "I'm glad... I guess that means we get to spend some more time together."

Shikamaru hummed in agreement as he looked back at Naruto, leaning down to press their lips together briefly, the chaste kiss leaving him wanting more as he kissed the blond again, feeling a thumb brush over his cheek periodically once the kiss was reciprocated. Soon enough, due to a human's need to breathe, the two pulled away from their shared kiss, resting their foreheads against each other's instead. "You're quite bold today, Shika," the blond commented, his soft giggle filling the quiet area around them," what happened to taking things slow?" Naruto teased further, leaning back and kissing Shikamaru's cheek before wrapping his arms around the brunet's neck, pulling him closer for a hug.

Shikamaru blanked as he returned the hug, his arms sliding around Naruto's waist as he buried his head into the crook of his neck. He could only enjoy this for so long, Naruto didn't even return his feelings and they were barely dating, Shikamaru was definitely getting ahead of himself and he knew that. The brunet had to remember that Naruto was simply giving him a chance, not giving him the go ahead to kiss him whenever he wanted. He shouldn't take advantage of the level of vulnerability Naruto lets him see, but he couldn't help the strong urge he felt to kiss the blond in close quarters, now that Sasuke was out of the picture. It was wrong, he knew that, but he couldn't help it. Shikamaru didn't deserve Naruto's kindness.

Moments like these were rare for shinobi. Being able to just enjoy the calm presence of someone else and reside in their arms was a treasure. Their lives were filled with blood and work, never love. "Sorry, I'll calm down," he replied suddenly. Shikamaru knew Naruto was just teasing him, but there was truth to his words- they were supposed to be taking things slowly, not kissing when they wake up, like an old, domestic couple.

"It's okay, Shika," Naruto mumbled, pulling back ever so slightly to smile at him, before tugging him closer again, letting Shikamaru's head fall back to where it was. "I feel safe with you, I know you'd never take anything too far." I trust you was the silent message here, and Shikamaru nodded into his neck, gently squeezing Naruto's waist in response.

I trust you too.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forgive me for disappearing again- my apology is fluff :')

Okay, I had a  m i n o r breakdown in the comments section, but everything should be fine now. Please do tell me if you spot any mistakes! I didn't expect all of my grammar to disappear. I fixed it in a rush because y'all are fast.