fifteen

After Archie and Andre figured out a way to use the generators to pump heat into their temporary living quarters, the group congregated in the center of the stone platform and began discussing their next course of action.

"Let me get this straight," Emily said as she munched on a piece of beef jerky that had been sitting in one of the backpacks they brought with them. "You want us to go back to The Acropolis? One of the most heavily guarded facilities in the country?"

Isra nodded. "I'm with her. That sounds crazy. Even with my luck, I don't even think I could pull it off."

"It's the only way we can get the others back before they get shipped off to The Vault," Chase told them.

"How do you know they weren't sent straight to The Vault?" Emily asked.

Archie shook his head. "When did we ever just send people to The Vault after catching them?" He glanced at Chase. "Blondie's right. They'll be sent to The Acropolis for a day or two while they get processed. Atlas' scientists will probably want to get a look at them too—especially Cassie."

The others nodded. The only thing Atlas loved more than fighting Primes was learning about them. They would surely take a few extra days to study Cassie and the others.

"Alright then," Emily conceded. "How're we going to get there in time anyway? Oregon is like two days away—and that's if we don't make any stops."

Victor sent Chase, silently urging him to tell the girl their plan. He hesitated for a moment. He wasn't sure how she would react. In fact, he wasn't sure how any of them would react.

Wanting to break into Atlas' headquarters was one thing. Contacting the former director of Atlas was another. While he trusted the man, there was no telling if Atlas was still keeping tabs on him. Getting in touch with Pearce Shaw could have led the Jaegers right to them.

Still, the man was the only one who could help them in a time like this. He surely would have access to some mode of transportation they needed to get to The Acropolis before their friends got sent to The Vault.

If they were too late, Chase feared they would never see the others again.

A heist on The Vault, even with Victor's teleportation ability, wasn't feasible. They had to do the extraction at The Acropolis. It was the only way.

And Pearce Shaw would help them do it.

Besides, he owed Chase a favor.

"Um, are you going to answer?" Emily asked irritably.

"Right. Sorry." Chase straightened his posture and nodded. "We were planning on finding a way to contact Director Shaw."

"Ex-director Shaw," Archie corrected.

He rolled his eyes at the boy.

"Yes. Thank you for that, Archie."

"No problem."

Emily narrowed her stare at Chase. "You're kidding."

"I'm dead serious. He's the only one who can help us get there."

"This is crazy." She took another bite of her beef jerky before preparing another response. "Alright. How do you suppose we talk to him? Anyone got his phone number?"

"We don't have phones," Archie pointed out.

"It was a rhetorical question, genius."

The sixteen-year-old scowled at her.

Chase pursed his lips as he thought over her question. She had brought up a good point, despite her unnecessary sarcasm. Getting in touch with Pearce Shaw was easier said than done. Not only did they not have access to traditional forms of communication, for obvious reasons, but they also didn't know of the man's current whereabouts.