twelve

Rubbing the sleep out of his eyes, Oscar took a sip of the horchata the sisters kept in the kitchen refrigerator. They would kill him when they found out he was the one drinking it all, but he didn't care.

Luckily for him, Sister Maria didn't mind too much.

He watched the woman scribble messy words on a notepad at one of the counters. She tore the paper off with a satisfying rip and turned around.

"I need you to get some things for me."

He arched an eyebrow at her. "What do I look like? Your personal grocery shopper?"

She pursed her lips and placed her hands on her round hips. "I'm letting you stay here for free and that's how you speak to me?"

"It was just a joke, hermana," he replied quickly. He offered the woman a weak smile, which she simply rolled her eyes at.

The nun went over her shopping list one last time before handing it over to Oscar. He rubbed his eyes again and squinted at it. He wasn't dyslexic, but the handwriting before him made him question if he was. Frowning, he looked up at the woman.

"How am I supposed to read this?"

"Ay, dios mio." She shook her head at him before reading the list aloud. "You got that?"

"Yeah, yeah," he answered. "I got it."

He wasn't actually upset about having to do her grocery shopping. It was just fun messing with her. If anything, he was glad for the brief outing out of the church. He and Xiomara had been staying in the basement for the last three days. Atlas had continued their search for their stolen cargo but it wouldn't be long until they abandoned it.

Besides, they had just hit a big score in North Dakota. According to the news, a raid on a secret Prime hideout had been hit. Six Primes had been captured while five others escaped.

Oscar had a feeling he knew who was involved.

But none of that was his business. He still had his own mission to tend to.

At the moment, though, his mission was to head to the farmer's market to pick up the ingredients Sister Maria needed for dinner later that day.

"Alright, I'll be back in a bit," he told her as he made his way over to the exit. Before he could leave, the old woman grabbed his hand. He peered at her over his shoulder. "Yeah?"

"Take Xiomara with you."

"Huh? Why would I do that?"

"She needs to get out of here. Get some sun. She looks depressed."

Oscar took a look at the little girl, who was sat in the pews across the hall from the kitchen. She sat alone, her face pointed toward the stage where the priest gave his sermons. While he couldn't see her expression from where he was standing, he could see the sadness pouring from her body.

Sister Maria was right. The girl was depressed.

Still, he didn't want to take her with him. What if Atlas spotted her? He wasn't really in the mood to fight off a bunch of Jaegers, especially not in broad daylight.

"Can't you just watch her?" he asked the nun. "She'll be safer here."

"Safer? Safer from what?" She narrowed her eyes at him.

He cursed under his breath, which earned him a scolding glare. He quickly apologized and rubbed the back of his neck. "I mean...you know how the city is. Can never be too careful."

"Mhmm," she said, unimpressed. "But you'll be there to protect her."

His face fell. Memories of the past flickered in his head like tiny fires.