Chapter 11

Zachary

We won the soccer game, and that's why I find myself going to one of these parties again, because of Alice. I don't know how she gets invited to all of them, or maybe I do; After all she's dating the soccer team captain. Alice sees me and comes over with a grin.

“You came,” she smirks as she takes hold of my arm and drags me over to where her boyfriend, Dylan, is standing talking to his four other soccer buddies, including Everett. He was leaning back on the wall with a beer bottle in his hands.

All of them turn to look at me, Dylan's eyes narrow when he notices Alice's arms around mine. I hold back from rolling my eyes. If he thinks I want his girlfriend back or something he has lost his mind. Alice just grins over at the soccer guys.

“Told you he'd come if I call him,” she tells them with a smirk.

“Is he still not over you or something?” One of the guys asks.

Alice snorts. “To be over me, he has to first feel something for me. He is a self-absorbed jerk.”

I smirk at her. She rolls her eyes. Dylan seems to visibly relax when he grasps that I am not his competition. Everett stares at me.

“So then how did you get him to come?” The guy asks.

Her smirk grows wider. “He is easy to guilt-trap. All I have to do is tell him that he broke my heart, and now he won't even hang out with me. He might be an asshole, but he has a heart somewhere deep inside him.”

“I am so fucking glad you dumped me.” I say.

“Somewhere very very very deep inside him,” she nods at the guys.

I can't help but snort at her. The others snicker.

“You need to delete the numbers of your ex-boyfriend who treated you like shit. Especially mine.” I tell her.

Her whole posture becomes stern, and she looks at me, all humor gone. “You never treated me like shit Zach. If anything it's amazing how you made me feel special, the only reason why I broke up with you was because you wouldn't let me treat you the same way.”

What can I say to that? Nothing. I knew exactly what she was talking about. I didn't let her in. Never showed her any part of me.

“That got serious fast,” another one of the soccer guys says.

“Well it's in the past, and now I am his best friend.” Alice smirks at me mischievously.

I groan. “No. You are not my best friend.”

“You know I could make my boyfriend punch for treating me like that,” she says pointing to Dylan. Then she looks over to Everett and continues “Or I am sure Everett is waiting for the chance.”

I turn to Everett who raises his eyebrows at Alice. “I am sure Dylan can get the job done, but yeah, I can take you upon that offer.”

He says to her but then turns to me with a smug grin spreading across his lips. That shouldn't make me want to pull him onto me and cover his mouth with mine.