Chapter 8

"They're beautiful," Penelope says quietly while looking unto the Earl and Countess of Kilmartin as they share their vows. She looked at her friend seated beside her and held herself back from giggling, breaking away from the mesmerizing moment. Eloise didn't bother to give her a glance as she sniffled with a slightly upturned nose. "You can shed a tear or two, you know. I wouldn't judge," she whispered in her ear.

Her dearest friend narrowed her eyes at Penelope. "I am not- if you must know, I was merely recalling the pain of Hyacinth's heel imprinting itself on my shin!" Eloise whispered back with a hint of animosity.

"Of course, you are." Penelope did not believe that it was the case at all, but she chuckled all the same. Gregory was making a comment on how much smaller she has gotten since he last saw their youngest sibling, and yet still have a never-ending supply of things to say. Hyacinth was quick to react in annoyance but before she could even raise her foot from the ground, Gregory side-stepped and Eloise received the blow. Eloise howled in pain and was about to strangle the young girl but was held back by the deadly glare of Lady Bridgerton from across the room. It caused a bit of laughter from the people gathered around them, especially from the rest of the Bridgerton siblings.

"It was not funny. And of course, I am." Eloise huffed and turned away, but not before Penelope saw her quickly raise her hand and wipe away at her cheek. Penelope smiled to herself and returned her attention to the rest of the festivities.

Once the ceremony ended, the couple departed immediately to begin their honeymoon after a quick goodbye to their families, leaving the attendees to their luncheon. Penelope was grabbing a few eclairs when she bumped into someone in front of her. The plate almost slid from her gloved hands but she was able to save it with her other hand just in time. Unfortunately, one of her desserts did not receive the same fate, and instead, fell with soundly 'schlock'.

"Oh, dear!" she exclaimed and looked lamentably at her wasted pastry, the same time that the man said, "I am so sorry!"

She broke her gaze away from the mess on the floor and looked up at the worried green eyes of Colin Bridgerton. "Colin!" she said in surprise. Colin had, apparently, come just in time for the ceremony, and so this was the first time she saw him today. She furrowed her brows when the man didn't bother a reply until she realized that he was staring at her frock with a look of much deeper concern.

"W-what are you wearing?!"

Penelope almost smacked her hand on her forehead, only being kept from doing so by the tiny plate of her remaining dessert in her hands. She rolled her eyes, instead, and said pointedly, "Our breakfast, apparently."

Colin finally looked up at her eyes with disbelief. "Goodness..."

"Oh don't be so dramatic, Colin. I would've thought you're used to my ensemble for the many years we've known each other." She faked an offended huff.

"I'm sorry, Penelope." The edges of his lips rose into a charming smile, and she knew she could never truly be angry with him. "I guess I've gotten used to your walking dresses which are far more...uhm..."

"Appetizing than an omelette?" She smirked at him, and he laughed at her good humoured response. They had been meeting a lot more frequently lately. Sometimes he would visit- at least once every two weeks- at their home, while she would come across him once a week or more whenever she was at Number Five for tea, and surprisingly, seeing each other coincidentally whenever she was at Hyde Park for a quick outdoor read. She opted to wear her plainer dresses whenever she did, as her mother was only adamant on dressing her in her own way during balls and important events- including, much to her dismay, Francesca Bridgerton's wedding.