𝟸𝟷

THEY KNOW

"I can't believe I have to do this" I sigh, on my way to the police station. I am on the phone with Kiara.

"What did those two even do, I mean-"

"I have no idea" I let out a big sigh. „well, see you later Kie."

"Have fun with your two kids." Kiara says, and I hang up as I walk into the police station, to JJ and Pope, sitting on a bench.

I can't believe this.

"You can let those two go now, sir." I say to the officer as he lets them out. They don't say a word on the way out.

"Thanks for picking us up" JJ gives me a big smile and flutters his eyelashes.

"Why did you guys get arrested again?" I sigh.

"I don't know, we didn't do anything," JJ says confidently. I give them both a serious look.

"We got pulled over, and when the cops said "papers" JJ said "scissors" and drove off" Pope explains. I look at JJ for a brief moment, very confused. Is he fucking serious?

"I'm too sober for this shit." I then say and continue walking.

"I mean, he started it." JJ justifies.

"Just come with me." I mumble to JJ, on my way to the chateau, while Pope goes home.

-----———————-

"JJ!" I call to the boy who is shooting a teddy bear. "JJ!"

"Oh, hey, what up cutie?" He takes off his earmuffs.

"What did that bear do to you, damn!"

"JJ!" Pope comes running up to us."They know"

"All right, chill, bro. All right? They don't know shit." JJ puts his gun on the ground and then turns back to Pope.

"Topper knows I sunk his boat." Pope goes through his face with his hands, upset.

"How do you know they know?"

"Because Rafe and Topper posted outside Hayward's and mad dogged me."

"Oh my god, JJ, I told you it wasn't a good idea" I look down at the floor in fear.

"Will you calm down and get a grip, man? They don't know shit." JJ says to Pope while stroking my hand, trying to calm me down.

"They have cameras. They could've seen me." the boy paces back and forth, upset.

"There was no power, Pope. How could they have seen you?" JJ questions.

"It's Figure Eight. They got generators. They don't give scholarships to kids who vengefully sink boats. It's not a good look on my transcript." Puzzles Pope as JJ stands up.

"Enough with the regret, bro!" He says, then points to his face. "They caved your face in. They hit us, we hit them. It's the law of the jungle. Now if any kooks come up to you and ask if you had anything to do with it, you walk up to 'em" JJ takes a step closer and points his two fingers at his eyes.
"-look 'em right in the eye, and...."

"Deny the living shit out of it"

"That's right. Deny, deny, deny."
"But just for safety, we don't go anywhere without protection. Right?" JJ points to the gun lying on the tree stump.
"It's not your fault, bro."

"He's right. They had it coming, Pope" I say, walking over to the boys. Pope smiles slightly and shakes his head.

"What?" I question.

"Come on, Emilia." I give him a confused look at the fact that he calls me by my full name. "What can you tell me, please. It was your fucking boyfriend who did this to me! Your boyfriend!"

"Pope, calm down, man. What's wrong with you?!" Says JJ.

It's not like Pope to yell at me like that. Or in general, he's actually always the quiet type. He approaches things logically. That's why we are very surprised at this moment.

"I'm sorry but I can't do it anymore. These people are beating me up, and she's hanging out with this guy voluntarily? The guy who beat me up with a golf club just because I was on their side of the island? That's who she hangs out with, JJ."

"Okay you don't have to talk like I'm not here" I interject but Pope just interrupts me.

"-And she does it willingly." Pope continues, ignoring my comment.

"Are you fucking serious, man? She's standing right next to you! And fuck, she can't help it that they're beating you up. And you have no idea about their relationship. She's always hanging out with us, don't you think that's a sign she doesn't want to hang out with him?"

"Wha-what do you mean?"

"Think about it, Pope. She can't fucking get rid of the guy." JJ looks at Pope, who is obviously confused. While I sit there, completely still the whole time.

-----——————

"JJ, you're in charge while I'm away" John b says to the boy.

"Alright, I'm your man."

"Keep the others out of trouble"

"Well-"

"And don't do anything stupid" says John b seriously.

"Okay you obviously need another man" JJ states.

"Just forget about it." Sighs John b and leaves. I have no idea where he's going.

"Wait, where is he going anyway?" Kie asks confused.

"I don't know" JJ shrugs his shoulders as I join him. "JJ can I talk to you for a second?"

"Ooooh someone's in trouble" JJ laughs to the others. "It's me. I- I don't know why I said that" JJ corrects himself and follows me in response.

"Are you okay?" He asks directly.

"Yeah, no, yeah, I'm good. Only, why did you have to tell Pope all that?"

"What do you mean?" JJ asks, concerned.

"Well, that I can't get rid of Rafe and stuff. I mean you don't really know much about my relationship either and-"

"I do know he's an asshole." he interrupts.

"JJ" I give him a serious look and then continue talking. "That's not the point right now."

JJ notices my voice begin to tremble slightly at the thought of my boyfriend. And I'm obviously overwhelmed by the whole situation.

"That's what it should be about, though, Mia." He looks into my glazed eyes.

"I don't want to talk about it though, okay?" My voice breaks a little. "It's just, I told you in private."

"I know. I'm sorry." JJ puts his hand on my shoulder. "Just know that I'm here for you."

„It's hard to believe."

„Mia, I— I'm sorry about what happened that night. I know I was an asshole, but I want to do better, okay?"

I know he wants to. And I really want to believe him, really. But I just can't really do it. He kind of broke my heart in a place where I felt like my heart was already broken because of my dad. I think I forgave him, but I don't know if I can trust him.