037

august 5th, 2020
5:14 pm

AYOLUWA STARTED TO play the intro to Never Dreamed You'd Leave In Summer by Stevie Wonder

It was one of the few times that Ayoluwa had been truly home alone.

Imani was wherever, Camille was still at the restaurant and Lauryn was having a sleepover.

Since Shareef had dropped her off a couple of days ago, her phone had been on do not disturb.

Seeing her friends would only remind her that they were friends with him.

And thinking about him was beginning to leave a gaping wound in Ayoluwa's chest.

"I'd never thought you'd leave in summer," She sang in a gravelly tone, "I thought you would go then come back home, I thought the cold would leave by summer, but my quiet nights will be spent alone."

Her heart started to pound and her eyes started to sting just a bit but Ayoluwa continued, "You said there would be warm love in springtime, that was when you started to be cold, I'd never dreamed you'd leave in summer but now I find myself all alone."

A few tears escaped, making her tone ever more sickly, "You said then you'd be the life in autumn, said you'd be the one to see the way, I never dreamed you'd leave in summer, but now I find my love has gone away, why-." Ayoluwa's voice broke on the last line.

Why didn't you stay?

Her gaze turned to Joshua's house placed next door then turned away.

That was the worst part of it all.

There was no way to avoid him, no way to keep him from seeking her out.

Ayoluwa would have to wait until he left for Arizona and even then he would be back to visit his family and for Christmas.

Ayoluwa was cursed with having someone she wanted so much, so close yet so out of reach.

The doorbell rang, causing Ayoluwa to cast her eyes towards the entry way.

"I don't feel like company today." Ayoluwa murmured to herself.

She hoped that if she didn't answer the door then the person behind it would simply go away.

But they didn't.

The doorbell continued to ring causing Ayoluwa wipe her eyes and hope her irises were bright before heading to the front door.