001

may 3rd, 2020
6:48 pm

"I NEED ONE OXTAIL, ONE CURRY GOAT AND ONE JERK WING COMBO FOR TABLE EIGHTEEN!" Ayoluwa called into the back of her family's restaurant where there was an industrial kitchen set with stainless steel appliances

Oasis Cuisine was a medium sized Jamaican restaurant set in the southeastern section of Los Angeles, California.

The baby blue walls were lit with sconces, creating a slightly romantic island ambiance.

All the tables and chairs were a walnut finish, and the cushions in the booths were a pure white.

A playlist of soca, calypso and reggae played softly through the establishment, meshing with the heavy conversation from the patrons.

Ayoluwa was dressed in a plain black tee with two buttons undone near the collar, ripped jeans, low top black Vans and her white half apron that had the restaurant's name in yellow with a palm tree adjacent.

Her long, almost waist length locs were tied in a tight bun at the base of her neck and her gold hoops that matched the gold necklace that read out her name was glinting in the sun that shone through the windows in the restaurant.

"Got it!," Her grandmother, Camille, called back in a strong Jamaican accent, "I have three beef patties and a jerk chicken for you for table twelve!"

Ayoluwa carefully slid the new plates onto her server's tray and speedily walked over to the designated table where an elderly Hispanic couple were sitting.

"One jerk chicken meal and three beef patties?" Ayoluwa asked with a smile.

The woman nodded with a smile as Ayoluwa placed the food in front of the couple.

"Can I get you anything else? Any refills?" Ayoluwa placed the tray by her side.

"Uh, no. I think we're good, right hermosa?" The man asked his wife.

"Yeah, thank you." The woman smiled at her husband then at Ayoluwa.

Ayoluwa smiled back then walked away to the kitchen's window.

When she looked back to the couple, they were praying together, their hands clasped together.

Once the couple had finished their prayer, the man shakily moved his wife's hand to his lips and kissed it.

The woman blushed considerably and started to say something to the man.

Slight longing filled Ayoluwa as she watched the couple interact.