Chapter Two

Chapter Two

    As we entered the Great Hall, I immediately found all eyes on me. "Let's Dine!" His Majesty called out. It took most of the attention away from us and for that I was thankful, but I suddenly realized my father was in front of me.

    "Did you faint?" He feigned worry for me before looking to the king and down at my hand tucked securely into his arm. The look father had was one I'd come to know from when father looked a my brothers- a look that said he was calculating. A look that told me that unlike usual, Luci and I would be accepted into the family meeting tonight.

    "No, I was just out of breath from the dance." I answered.

    "And from the shock, no doubt." Gabriel smiled, his eyes sparkling with interest and smiling radiantly at his Majesty. I felt my face begin to flush- I took a deep breath and let it out slowly. Calming the blood racing under my skin.

    I was shocked to hear Lord Henry come to us. "Come Brother, and bring Mistress Gilbert. We've made room enough at our table." But even as Lord Henry said this I found him studying Luci.

    Luci's eyes were on me though. She was beaming- as any true sister would be. But me... I was scared. I'd heard what happen to girls like Jane Whittmore. My family called them Whores- and so did everyone who wasn't related to  girls like her.

    "I would like to sit with-"

    "His majesty," My father said and I heard the hardness in his voice.

    "Come, we'll make room you can all dine with us at our table." His Majesty said to my family- excluding my brothers. They were close to the King- close friends, His Majesty adored my brothers so they sat at his table with him every evening.

    King Braxton lead me ahead and I felt his arm tighten as if to reassure me. "Are you well?" He asked quietly, still smiling at his guests as we passed.

    "As well, as I can be." I answered him, my eyes on the floor, unable to look at Jane Whittmore as we passed. I could tell he wasn't very happy with my reply. I glanced over my shoulder and was happily surprised to find Luci on Lord Henry's arm. Then I flinched as I realized I could hear the whispers starting around us.

    We took our seats, and His Majesty poured me some wine. I took it thankfully and had to remind myself to sip it. "I am going out riding tomorrow." He said casually, looking at me, "Would you like to come?" I heard some people for some reason laugh at what he'd said, He turned and threw a glare at them.

    "Oh, uh," I stuttered, trying to find some reason to decline, but my father who sat beside him spoke for me, "She doesn't have a horse, Majesty."

    "And I have my duties to attend to as well." I blurted.

    "I'll ask my sister to spare you for one morning," He smiled and I felt my heart flutter painfully, One morning. "I will tell her you need some air, I'm sure Princess Elizabeth will understand. And as for your horse, you can use one of mine." I forced a smile onto my face.

    "You'd make an excellent physician, Majesty."He looked at me curiously, "You see, you've diagnosed me and already have a cure planned, all in one day." He smiled at that, while my father scowled.

    "Well," He lowered his voice, "in order for my cure to work you must be a very obediant patient." His eyes burned me as if I was being held over a fire, like a roasting pig. "Will you be..."

    "Yes, I will." I said, feeling the burn of tears in my eyes, but quickly blinked them away.

    "Even if I ordered you to bed for days at a time?" He questioned, his voice teasing, but his eyes told me there was no joking about it. His intense gaze rendered me speechless.