Chapter Three

Chapter 3

    I awoke to Luci rubbing my arm. I stretched and looked to the window. It was not yet light out. “Your father and uncle wish to see us. Gabriel is waiting in the hall for us.” She went to the closet and helped me dress as quickly as possible. Then we met my brother in the hallway.

    “What do they want, Gabriel?” I ask.

    “To discuss their plans for you.” He murmurs and looks saddened. “Come. They are waiting on us.” He takes my hand and pulls me through the dark halls.

    “You’ve finally made it.” My uncle growls as we enter.

    “Yes, I was rather tired.” I shrug him off and I swear, if he knew my father wouldn’t punish him, he would have struck me. Myles stood leaning against a bookcase and glared sharply at me. I turned my head away from him, making sure my stance was one of confidence- even if I knew it was false.

    My mother and aunt stood on the opposite side of the room, leaving me to believe they were against the plans being made at my expense. Luci and Gabriel stood close behind me offering their silent support.

Making sure my shoulders were straight, I strode toward my uncle’s chair placed behind his desk. Desperate to show them  that, though they were men, I was not afraid of them. I sat down elegantly and looked up at my uncle, eyebrows raised and feigned a yawn.

    “Well, speak.” I commanded looking bored, “I would like to go back to bed.” I saw Gabriel smirk, but turn his head to hide it. Luci, though, looked as scared as I felt.

    “What did the king say to you when you stepped out with him.” My uncle sneered.

    “He apologized for frightening me. He was merely being friendly-”

    “Don’t lie to us, Emiliana.” Myles sneered at me.

    “I wasn’t aware you were there, dear brother. Tell me then- since you know so well- what did the king say to me?” Myles’s eyes grew dark with rage.

“You spoilt little bitch-”

“Watch your language, little brother.” Gabriel’s stance was ready to fight; to protect me. My mother went to Gabriel’s side urging both boys to calm down. Though her words to them did nothing to ease the tension between the boys.

I watched as Luci reached up and stroked Gabriel’s arm comfortingly. His fist fell from it rigid tenseness and relaxed openly at his side.

“You will wed the king.” My father said.

“Father, you speak in haste!” I cry to him, letting my careful facade slip and even though it was only a moment, it was enough. “We hardly know one another. And I believe marriage is the furthest thing from his mind.”

“Yes, but not yours, Correct?” My uncle grinned evilly. “A young girl, still a virgin-” He glares sharply at me. “Aren’t you?” He demands.

    “You dare insult me?” I gasp as I realize he is waiting for an answer.

    “Better to be embarrassed here then in the kings bed when you do not bleed for him.” He growled, “Are you, or aren’t you?”

    “I am. I am not the whore you all wish me to be-”

    “And that is exactly why this will work. The king desires you-”

    “He doesn’t-”

    “Dear, sweet, innocent Emily, we know how men behave around a woman they desire.” My uncle laughs at me. “As I was saying. You must not give in right away. Men like to chase. You must not let him catch you too soon, and you cannot run too fast. You will have to let him catch you only momentarily. Let him have a taste of you- but never to much. This is a tough game to play, but with all of us Gilberts working together then we can secure Emily a place- and in turn save ourselves places.”