Chapter 3: Jump for Jenny

"I've never slept in a four-poster bed before." El plumped the pillows behind her back. "We need to take a vacation more often."

Peter perused the list of movies available on TV, attempting to decide which one El would like most. "How about American Wedding?" It wasn't his kind of movie, but this was supposed to be a vacation for her too, despite the camp ... and now the vampires. He consoled himself there had been no mention of witches, but how long would the reprieve last?

El leaned over to scan the schedule. She was wearing a black lace peignoir that Peter hadn't seen before. Any movie-watching would need several interruptions. "Ocean's Twelve is on. Let's watch that."

"A heist movie? You and Neal aren't planning anything I hope?"

"Could be fun," she said with a mischievous smile. "This movie has strong roles for women. Julia Roberts and Catherine Zeta-Jones are two of my favorite actresses. They'll serve as excellent reminders for you. I detected a strong urge on your part to exclude me from the discussion with the Winchesters."

Peter winced. "Guilty as charged."

"If Dean and Sam are involved, it can't be an FBI case, so there's no reason for secrecy. If Chloe can handle it, so can I."

"Tough girl are you?" He slipped an arm around her. "I promise. Any vampires or witches I hear about, I'll let you know."

"Good," she said, snuggling next to him. "I'm glad Sam agreed to bunk at the observatory. Neal will have a great time with him and Travis for company."

"Now that you've met the brothers, what do you think of them?"

"Based on your description, I expected them to be wild men. Instead they were quite polite. Dean doesn't look much like the man I saw in those photos of Buttonwood."

Peter groaned. "You don't really want to bring those up again, do you?"

She laughed. "I expect Dean is as embarrassed as you are. Mozzie, on the other hand, probably wears his period of curse-instigated dorkyness as a badge of honor. Do you know anything about Dean and Sam's family?"

"I investigated them thoroughly during that regrettable first encounter in New Jersey. Their mother passed away when Sam was less than a year old."

Her expression turned serious. "I'm so sorry. Dean's only a few years older. Their childhood must have been difficult."

He nodded. "Their father was also a hunter. The Bureau file on him reads like those of his sons. He was suspected of numerous crimes and arrested on several occasions, but was never convicted of anything."

"You used the past tense."

"He died last year. Dean had to step in to take care of Sam even though he's only four years older. Their father trained both of them to be hunters. It's the only life Dean's ever known."

"I noticed them walk into the room. I thought they looked ill at ease. I wonder how much of it was because of Father's Day. It can't be an easy holiday for them." El rested her head on Peter's shoulder. "How about you? Did you enjoy Father's Day?"

"Talking with my dad this morning, spending the day with you and Neal— it's been great, and if I have my way, it will finish even better."

She stroked his ear with her finger. "That's a promise."

"But as for me being a dad, that doesn't sound right. Look at the two rascals I wound up being a father figure to. I'm too old to be Satchmo's dad and too young to be Neal's. Although, I must confess sometimes the two seem a lot alike."