Chapter 7: Fire Orchids

Dean slung Chloe's suitcase onto the back seat of her Mustang. "Where are you off to now?"

"New Haven," she said, slamming the trunk shut. "I expect to be there writing the user guide for another three to four weeks."

"Will you stay the entire time at Wisteria's inn?"

She nodded. "I found her through the B&B association, but since we're Wicca sisters now it's become a second home." She drew close to him. "Her chef really is an excellent pie maker. You should stop by." She shrugged. "For pie and other stuff."

"That other stuff sounds even more tempting than pie. We'll probably stay in the Northeast for a while. It depends on what happens with the vamps. We didn't find any in Rockaway, but Sam heard from Bobby that there may be a nest off the interstate in Dover."

"I spotted Sam having lunch with Maia when we went upstairs. They seem to be hitting it off."

Dean had seen them as well—two geeks making goo-goo eyes at each other. No vampires. Sam rejoining the human race. Yep, he'd chalk this week up as one of the better ones he'd had in quite a while.

"That will give you another reason to visit New Haven," Chloe said. "Maia's researching her thesis at Yale this summer. I heard her mention she'll teach an introductory class there in the fall."

"She and Sam can spend long hours together with their books. They can have study dates."

"Exactly. Just like the way you're helping me with the scenes for my novel."

"We should schedule another session soon," he murmured in her ear.

Sam was waiting in the Impala and Chloe needed to be on her way, but they lingered for a few more minutes. How had he been so lucky to find a woman who wasn't interested in commitments? But when they were together, the earthquake he felt was almost supernatural.

Would Maia be as good for Sam? He hoped so. Then Sam might relax and be more open with him. As it was, he was a hard dude to read. Were all kid brothers that way? Shutting their older and wiser siblings out? When would Sam learn that if he wanted Dean to stop worrying about him, he should simply let him in? It wasn't like Dean was bossy ... much. Well, he sorta was. But it was for Sam's own good.

Chloe drew back. "What is it?"

"Sorry. Trying to figure out what's going on in Sam's head is messing with mine. Brothers can drive you nuts. Do you have any sisters?"

"No. I wish I did." Chloe looked at him with big serious eyes. "You and Sam are very lucky to have each other. He knows that."

"And leaving me in the dark is his way of showing his appreciation?"

* * * * *

Neal crouched next to Satchmo and adjusted his astronomy bandanna. "I hear you're abandoning me for a picnic. It's a good thing you were such an excellent model for the past two days. I suppose I can let you take an afternoon off."

El had stopped by the observatory in time to help them clean up from the morning session. Earlier in the day, she'd gone on a nature hike with Chloe and Janet. They'd found some unusual flowers in a meadow that she wanted Peter to see. She'd packed a lunch and tried to persuade Neal to come along, but he had a painting to finish.

After a morning surrounded by kids, Neal looked forward to some alone time. The observatory was quiet. Mozzie had a new subject to research. The legends about Astrena had already taken root in the fertile soil of his imagination, and he was determined to discover more about her. Travis was still immersed in analyzing the peculiar radio waves that had now vanished from SETI's monitors.