Chapter 16

The burning gaze at the back of my neck kept my hairs standing but Nicholas kept to his word and had not left my side since we entered the ballroom an hour ago. Just as the persistent eyes that had been burning holes in my eyes since I entered with Nicholas.

"Nick," I softly called, causing him to turn to me from the dancefloor where a few couples were loitered around it as they waltzed with their partners," Would it be alright for me to get a snack? and some juice?" 

"I can have someone bring one for you." He offered with a smile.

"No, its alright. I need to stretch my legs after sitting for so long." I reassured.

"Alright, I will accompany you, Darling," He smiled, his smile faltering into a frown as his eyes floated behind me, probably at the angry glares that were sent my way," Are you certain you do not wish for me to solve this issue, Darling?"

"I'm sure, I don't want to cause an unnecessary dispute." I reassuringly smiled, causing a sigh to leave his lips as he weakly smiled at me.

"As you wish, Darling." He sighed.

"Thank you." I smiled, before we got up, with me receiving help from Nick. His hand glued itself to the small of my back as he guided me to the snacks table across the ballroom where a few people were loitering as they chatted away.

"What would you like?" Nick asked when we reached the table.

"Just a light snack and water or juice." I replied.

"Your majesties," Came an unfamiliar, male voice from behind us, making us turn to face it, to find a lanky, tall boy about my age wearing a black tuxedo awkwardly standing behind us," If it is not too much trouble, may I have this dance, your Majesty?" He bowed.

Nicholas' hand slipped from my back to my waist where it firmly rested. A feeling of slight possessiveness and mostly protectiveness filled me, notifying me of Nick's sudden strong emotions.

A small smile graced my lips at his cute action and for some reason, I found myself stretching on my tippy toes and barely grazing his cheek with my lips. The emotions almost instantly dissipated and were replaced with surprise and most of all happiness and pride. I don't blame him, I'm also a bit surprised about my actions. Nick is always the affectionate one not me, but today I felt a bit bold and dare I say comfortable with being the affectionate one.

"I'll be back soon." I whispered before slipping from his hold and to next to the lanky boy. We walked to the dancefloor where I placed my one hand on his shoulder and the other into his hand as he placed his around my waist, just like they do in movies and dance shows. I have never done ballroom dancing in my life so this will be a start, but I couldn't find a comfortable position in this boy's arms. I felt a bit uncomfortable actually. His hand clasping mine made me want to squirm in uncomfortability, but the one around my waist made me feel quizzy and a bit nauseas like it wasn't right for it to be there. 

I slowly moved forward, just for him to move into me, causing me to accidentally step on his foot, making him wince in pain. 

"I'm so sorry." I immediately apologised.

"No, its alright. We all make mistakes, your Highness." He smiled reassuringly. We moved to the right without a hassle, just to practically bump into each other when we moved forward causing him to step on my toes, causing a yelp to leave my lips.

"My apologies!" He exclaimed, immediately letting go of my hand," I believe this should be the end of our dance before we actually break each other." He jokingly chuckled, stepping away from me.

"Agreed." I agreed.

"Thank you for the dance." He bowed before disappearing into the crowd. 

I sighed and turned around, just to be faced with three angry glares. One of them more rage filled and familiar than the rest.