CHAPTER NINE

All of a sudden, the spiritual balance in the room changed. Everything was at a stand still. It was clearly a significant period of time. I looked at Niyi and found myself at a point of conflict. Who was he really? Why did everything have to have a plot twist? It was like being trapped in a horror thriller movie, and not knowing how to get out.

"Stay away from me, Niyi. If you come any closer, I will scream for help," I said icily.

As the conflict between us heightened, my skin prickled with fear. All my hairs stood on end as I unconsciously backed into a wall. The difference between what was false or true, was a luxury people did not appreciate. Confusion between the former and latter broke families apart and started wars. Some of which raged on for years.

My mind raced from one point of view, leaving my head spinning. If he wanted to kill me, he had plenty of opportunities to do so but did not. On the other hand, could it be that he was forming an elaborate strategy for attack by winning my heart first?

"Teniola, please let me-"

I angrily held a hand up, "Stop. Just stop," I snarled.

Niyi looked desolate. We had misunderstandings once in a while, but ever since we had started dating they were quickly resolved.

To be honest, both of us looked forward to the romantic ways that we would 'make up' after arguments.

In some far away corner of my mind, I wanted to hear him out. He probably had a good explanation for not telling me the whole truth. Unfortunately, my heart had been broken so many times by that point. Despite it all, my mind was made up. I was done being played in games of intrigue. Niyi would give me the answers necessary or I would leave. No more beating around the bush or sweeping facts under the carpet.

"Answer every question I am going to ask you...with the truth, Niyi."

He nodded. His face was set like a flint. An image of him in a white agbada, sokoto ati fila a Yoruba men's traditional attire consisting of a big shirt, trouser and cap- with golden beads on his wrists flashed before my eyes. It was only for a few seconds, but the mental picture was unmistakable. At that point, I did not understand the significance of it.

"My first encounter with Jagunlabi was not a nightmare, was it?"

"Correct. It was not a nightmare, Teniola."

"You saw everything that happened?" I asked.

"Yes, I did."

My heart beat erratically in my chest. Niyi was aware of my self-doubt and anxiety about the encounter. The trauma of the incident even landed me in the hospital. Despite all the factors at work, he allowed me to think I hallucinated. The walls felt like they were caving in, and my breaths came out in irregular puffs.

Niyi took a few more steps towards me. He halted when I flinched. "Teniola, please calm down. Breath in and out slowly. I think you are having a panic attack."

My fingers ran through my hair in frustration, "Are you an Ifa priest, Niyi?"

He paused but slowly nodded his head.

"Use your words, Niyi," I demanded.

"I am a seventh generation babalawo. An Ifa priest" he said firmly.

"Did you see the snakes and the dragon?" I asked between erratic breaths.

"Yes, I did."

"Why have you been deceiving me all along? I thought you lov-"

"Stop. Stop right there," Niyi commanded. He held me by my hand and gently guided me the sofa. Despite my annoyance at his apparent deception, I followed him willingly and could not resist his touch.

In the midst of all the insanity, he was a constant. I felt justified to be angry, nevertheless my subconscious needed some answers. Even though my pulse throbbed in my ears, my heart wanted an explanation from him.

Niyi stood in front of me. He looked at me with a thoughtful look on his face. "May I sit beside you?" he asked.

I did not respond, but he took my silence to mean consent.

Niyi turned at an angle to face me squarely, and clutched both of my hands between his. "You asked me questions, and I have answered with sincerity. Now I want to ask you some questions and also want to shed light on some things you do not understand. Is that okay?"

I nodded.

"First of all, I said you should never doubt my love for you, Teniola."

"If you love me, why did you deceive me, Niyi?"

A frown settled on his face, but he continued, "I did not deceive you. All I did was to protect you."

"Protect me by lying?" I asked.

"You were not ready for all the details, Teniola. After the encounter with Jagunlabi, you were scared. You needed me to reassure you that everything was going to be okay, and it was all a bad dream."

He had a point, but had not fully convinced me."Hmm."

"My dear, Bibeli Mimo ni , 'Ogbon a maa ranni lowo lati se aseyori. Even the Holy Bible says 'wisdom is profitable to direct'."

"We all know what the bible says about deception too, Niyi."

He clenched his jaw hard and his eyebrows furrowed with annoyance. "Why are you making this more difficult than it is supposed to be?" he asked. "You being difficult is part of the reason why I was skeptical to tell you plainly how it is."

"Okunrin! Men! You always have a way of giving excuses to justify your mistakes."

We glared at one another, he folded his arms and shook his head. "Why are women so illogical? he asked, shrugging his shoulders. "If you try to explain, you are guilty and giving excuses. If you keep silent, you are guilty because silence means consent."

I could not really argue with that logic because it was fairly accurate. Niyi arched an eyebrow and smirked. Seeing my inability to come up with a response, he thought I was done.

He was wrong.

"How do I know that you are not working for Jagunlabi?" I asked.