PART TWO: CHAPTER FIVE

Niyi flared his big brown eyes and folded his arms. "Boya o gbo mummy ye. Perhaps you didn't understand your mum. Babe, tell me you're joking," he said.

After having a seat beside him and crossing my legs, I shook my head in dismay. "I kid you not, my dear."

My mother had gone to Port Harcourt to attend a women's convention. It gave me ample opportunity to explain everything my mother told me. Our last discussion started as a lighthearted banter between mother and daughter. Even I would have never suspected the direction it would lead to.

I laughed without mirth. It was unbelievable but indeed a reality. Niyi gave me a sideways glance, and no doubt would have questioned my sanity if he were not who he was. "Ki lo n pa e l'erin? What is making you laugh?" he asked.

My laughter went from a small chuckle to outright cackling. Niyi put an arm around my shoulders and joined in. "Niyi, Is this a sweet dream or a beautiful nightmare?"

"Either way I don't want to wake up alone," he replied.

I turned to face him and studied his handsome face. "But seriously, it's insane. What the actual heck? I thought my issue with Jagunlabi was over."

"And now—" he trailed off but sustained eye contact with me. His intense look showed that he could imagine my inner turmoil, and was treading with care.

"Now it turns out that Jagunlabi is or was so to speak, a real life person at some point. And he may end up being my step great great grandfather," I concluded.

Niyi hissed. "I don't mean to alarm you, but I doubt Mr Sesan meeting and dating your mother is a coincidence."

"I've come to the same conclusion. Just after mum mentioned his name, my golden dragon appeared."

"Really?"

"Yeah. I haven't seen it since the chaos of last year. It disappeared shortly afterwards, and my mum had no idea."

A gust of wind swept through the window and the curtains danced in the air. I got up to close the sliding door of the balcony and adjust the window. Night was fast approaching, and when I took a look outside, I saw a few stars in the sky. The street lights were on and the honking of horns in the busy Ring Road traffic could be heard from our window.

"Let me check on our dinner, dear." I said.

As I passed Niyi by to enter the kitchen, he gave me an affectionate pat. "Everything is going to be alright," he said.

"Sure?"

"Of course," he shrugged. "We're getting married. How could we entertain distractions?" Niyi got up and put his arms around my waist. He nuzzled my neck, and I giggled. "By the way, we haven't finalised the catering," he added.

"I really don't care. I just want to eat good food," I groaned and leaned on his chest.

"Se kin pe obirin pupa yen? Should I call that fair complexioned lady?"

I did not need to look back in order to see his face. His cheeky reference to the day he proposed was obvious, and I was certain he was smirking at that moment.

"Ha ha ha. Very funny, Niyi," I said.

He scoffed. "Not nearly as amusing as your jealous indignation when you turned up at the Town Hall. Did I ever tell you how hot that was?"

I attempted to elbow Niyi in the gut, but his lightning fast reflexes blocked me. He spun me around and kissed me with firm hands on my waist. "TenTen. Jealous Jelly Jelly," he teased.