PART TWO : CHAPTER TEN

TENIOLA

The reality of my decision dawned on me with crushing finality. I had literally agreed to lay down my life in order to secure a life of peace for my mother, and the love of my life. Niyi.

There was no turning back now, and the conviction within me was stronger than my sorrow. Truth be told, I was fed up. The most important contributing factor to my dissatisfaction was my spiritual 'gift'. A close second was the unending battle with Jagunlabi. Looking from the outside, it was an honour to be feared or respected. A crown was admired for its beauty and prestige, but only the person who wore it knew the daily price they paid. The tension, anxiety and persistent attacks from enemies.

A piercing, white light emanated from my body. Instantaneously, my surroundings were withdrawn. The environment around me snatched away like a rolled up scroll. I was surrounded by nothing. Standing in an apparent vacuum, I assumed that I was dead. Leyin iku, idajo lo kan. After death comes judgement.

There was a sudden flash of light, and my golden dragon manifested in front of me. Larger and more glorious than before. It spread its magnificent wings which were studded with multicoloured diamonds. Each one twinkled like stars in a cloudless night sky.  In spite of my hesitation, I was drawn to it. Perhaps because I had nothing to lose.

I laid a gentle hand on its head, and it blew smoke from its huge nostrils. Quick as a flash, I withdrew my hand. My eyes fluttered with shock when it moved forward and nudged my hand back onto its head. Sensing a hint of friendliness, I gave it a few, cautious pats.

"Kini gbogbo eleyii? Se bi ma se ma ba Elenuina sere ni yii? What is all of this? Is this how I will be playing with Firemouth?" I mumbled.

"Se Elenuina lo fe ma pe mi bi? Ase gun. Do you want to call me Firemouth? So it shall be." The dragon asked.

My mouth was wide with shock. "Ehn? O le soro? What? You can talk? Kilode ti o fi ba mi soro ri? Why haven't you spoken to me before?"

The dragon shook its head, and nudged me with its snout. "Mi o l'oro pataki ti mo fe ba e so ni. I did not have something important to say." It replied.

I stared at it, and its amber eyes deepened to rosy red. I couldn't tell if it was joking or if it wanted to devour me. Attempting to escape was pointless, so hoping the latter would be quick and painless was my decision.

"Eja wu mi ju eran eyan lo. I prefer fish to human flesh," the dragon said. Perhaps it could read my thoughts too. It followed up its statement with a puff of yellow smoke from its nose.

I retorted with biting sarcasm. "O ba feran eran tolotolo, You should have preferred turkey meat."

Elenuina responded by tiling its head back and blowing a stream of fire into the air, like a volcano. It flapped its wings, and I fell backwards on my bottom with a thump. The hurricane wind beneath its wings swirled as I  looked on. In awesome wonder, I considered all the events that had transpired over the past year.

Everything had led to this point. Me sitting on my behind in front of a wisecracking dragon, in the middle of nowhere. Far from home, the likelihood of my return almost impossible... and with no way out.

I lay flat on my back and started laughing. Tears fell from my eyes, as I rolled on the ground and clutched my stomach. In recent memory, I had not cackled and snorted while laughing. The whole situation was unbelievable. Oro to ye ko pa mi lekun, pa mi lerin. The matter that should have made me cry, provoked my laughter. 

"Asiko ti to. It is time," Elenuina said. It's voice rumbled from the depths of its belly.

I scoffed. "Fun kini? For what? Tell me how it is. I am tired of riddles."

Elenuina bent down and tilted to the left.

"Are you dancing or do you want to eat me?" I folded my arms.

In one quick, sweeping movement it nudged me off the ground, and I landed in a disorderly heap on its back. "Ye! Ouch!" I shouted. "Ti mi o ba fe lo nko? What if I don't want to go?"

"A je pe gbogbo wahala to se la t'eyin wa ja si asan. That would mean that all your efforts up to this point were for nothing," It replied. "Ibere kin se onise, a fi eni ti o ba fi ori ti de opin. Starting a task is not as crucial as seeing it to completion."

I huffed and threw my hands in the air. The sudden movement almost made me lose my balance, before I grasped the silky reins. "Toh. Nibo la wa n lo bayii? Okay. Where are we going now? I asked.

Elenuina flapped its giant wings and we soared into the air. "The Point of No Return," It replied.

My mind flashed back to the blind, old man. He who told me that all my questions would be answered at the point of no return. I did not get any more details from him before ending up in another dimension.

Wind stronger than a tornado swirled around us, and I held on for my dear life. The violent gusts howled and tore at my hair and clothes. "Se orun apaadi la n lo ni? Are we going to Hell?" I shouted over the noise.

"No," It replied. "We are going to a place of unspeakable pain and suffering. Weeping and gnashing of teeth, but not in the great beyond."

"Sounds like Hell to me!"

"Indeed it was for those who endured it, but you must retrieve the key," Elenuina retorted.

Before I could say another word, or ask which key, we were sucked into a spinning vortex.