Bad Debt Part 4

"How are things in the homeland?"

"Two of AMLO's advisors were killed by the PRI - or - sorry - 'unknown gunmen.'"

"But we won," Alex said, confounded by the ongoing violence in Mexico.

"We're not in power yet." Raf answered simply, and they both took a drink, drifting over to the couch, "The British military wants me to stay here until AMLO is instated."

"But the Brits should hate our administration." Alex sounded concerned. Had AMLO already sold out?

"Yeah, the relationship between Mexico and the West is exploitative," Raf turned on the T.V., looking for BBC, "But I know people in the British military personally." Alex gave him an accusatory glance. Raf turned up his hands, "It's unavoidable." They were silent for a moment, "What they are doing is wrong, that doesn't mean they are all psychopaths," he said quietly.

"The things they do are psychopathic." Alex's voice was hard and cold.

"Most war for them is pressing buttons. It's not personal."

"All violence is personal," Alex said emphatically,

Raf sighed, "I agree. But they are not evil. If there is a nonvi-"

"-There's not."

"Alex."

Alex turned to him, "Henry is already interning for M15. As long as he can hold a weapon he's a threat."

"Ok, just... don't make decisions based on Hamilton lyrics."

They watched BBC in silence for a few moments. Protests in the US and England, the stock market rising steadily...

"I heard the IMF is raising interest rates," Alex said,

Raf nodded, "The head of the IMF is next on the list." He flexed his hands, a nervous tik.

"Good. But it won't get better until the institution is destroyed."

Raf laughed coldly, "And then the US will take their payments at gunpoint. Exploitation doesn't require legitimization."

Alex looked at him with an expression so hurt Raf instantly regretted his own cynicism, "So that's it, we will always be in debt to these people who built their countries on stolen land, stolen labor, and stolen gold?" Alex looked to the BBC in disgust, "It's legitimized slavery."

Raf jumped up to grab the tequila bottle, "Another round?"

There will be a jubilee when the North spends its own money, is left with nothing, and spends again, on credit, on stolen cards, on a friend who knows he will never see that again. There will be a jubilee when the Global South does not get credit for discounted contributions to world civilisation and commerce but keeps its debts, changes them only for the debts of others, a swap among those who never intend to pay, who will never be allowed to pay, in a bar in Penang, in Port of Spain, in Bandung, where your credit is no good.