Chapter Six

CHAPTER 6

            Jax and Tara followed Ms. Harris around as she inspected the home while I stayed with Abel in the living room as we played with some building blocks. He wanted to make a castle and I thought that it would be a good way to keep an eye on Abel and leave the adults to talk. Although I was pretty sure the routine that Ms. Harris would give them, what she would say to possibly intimidate them, and what she was looking for as well as helpful hints.

            It was moments like this where I was glad that this thing usually didn’t take too long. Ms. Harris was usually fast. She knew what to look out for.

            They were gone through the house, Ms. Harris looking in the cupboards of the kitchen and bathroom, going through things in all the rooms just to make sure everything was in place that needed to be and nothing dangerous was there.

            They were gone through the house for about twenty minutes. Thomas was in his crib sleeping so I knew that they wouldn’t spend too much time in there where they could be loud, but I knew she would look. She was thorough. But I don’t know if that was necessarily a bad thing. Tara and Jax were working hard all yesterday and this morning to make sure that everything was in check. I still don’t know if Tara completely liked me, and I didn’t know my full relationship with her. But she helped my dad to make sure we had everything, to make sure that he would be approved. He was on trial and so was she and she made sure there was an aim to please.

            I watched them come back by the front door, Ms. Harris at the front before Jax and Tara followed her. I sat up a bit straighter, wanting to listen in and I didn’t care if I was being obvious about it. I wanted to know if I could stay here. I was hoping that I would be able to stay here. I was welcomed here. I was wanted here. I didn’t know for sure if my dad was ever going to actually want me with him, that he would fight for me as Jax did.

            I had also prepped Jax and Tara. I told them to make sure everything was clean, to get out any novels if they had any, for Tara to set out some of her medical books to make an impression. I said to make sure that Abel and Thomas looked well, nicely clothed in their best causals, and to do anything to make Thomas look cute. I told them to put out more family pictures, make Jax seem fatherly and human and that they are a good and happy family. I told them to wear something nice, but still casual and I told Jax to take off his cut because I knew that was the first thing that she would note on if he had it on. I knew that the impression of it would mean that it went club first, family second. Violence first, fatherly roles second. She wouldn’t like if the first image she saw of him was Sons of Anarchy. I even told him to hide any pictures of the club if he had any around to show that he can separate his life, if she realized how much into the club he was, which I hoped that she didn’t.

            It was weird but it was a good weird. It was a good difference. It made me feel happy instead of unwanted.

            Ms. Harris seemed to know that I was listening, so she made her voice a bit louder, which I liked. It meant that it would be good news. Ms. Harris and I didn’t get along too much, but she knew my level and I knew she wanted the best for me.

            She started by clearing her voice and looking over her notes that she made on her clipboard.

“Mr. Teller I am still not completely convinced about the safety of Sidney. There is still the issue about your affiliations, I have not forgotten them and I have heard of them. However, you have a clean record from anything dramatic, especially in the past five years.” Ms. Harris notes and I could see the worry in his eyes. She continued, “I think that we will be having more frequent visits. We will be watching you very carefully as well. As soon as something sparks a red flag, we are going to have to take action. Normally I wouldn’t recommend or allow a child to stay in situations like this but it seems like it would be the best for Sidney.”