Chapter 5

CHAPTER 5

I slept in the next morning pretty late. I didn’t notice it until I looked at the alarm clock and saw that it was almost nine. Goodness, I was so tired. I guess it was the comfort of the bed too. The mattress and pillows were easy to go to sleep in. They were soft and comfortable, even more than the bed that I slept in at Gemma’s. The mattress back in the foster home was like a brick with the feels of the springs below it. She had to buy two comforters to sleep on so that she was a bit more comfortable. It was also easy to sleep in when you can’t hear a lot that can wake you up. Usually the kids would turn on the light to wake me up for school.

I stretched as I sat up in the bed. I looked around the room. I had to admit that it was pretty plain. I had yet to add myself to it. I packed light when I ran away, so no CDs or movies or posters for me here. At least not now. I could only hope that I would be able to get my stuff here, that the law would allow me to stay.

I felt the most comfortable here than I have in a very long time.

Getting out of the warm covers, I went to grab my aid and put it on as I went through the dressers to get some clothes out. I loved my new clothes. A lot of my clothes back in the foster home were the same clothes that I had for the past three years. It was nice to get a change. I grabbed my softened out red tanktop that had the Coca-Cola logo in white on it and a pair of black shorts.

After my aid was in, I could hear that there was a radio or television on. I couldn’t tell which one for sure though. I looked in the mirror and put on a little bit of mascara and blush before finding my black hole knitted beanie. I looked in the mirror, looking at myself over before I made a wink at myself, giving myself a smile.

Going out of my room, I looked down the hallway. I could hear more now. I recognized Jax’s voice and another male’s voice while I heard that it was a television that was on and it was a kid’s channel. I could tell by the types of voices that I heard because I knew it belonged to some type of cartoon animal that kids adored. Walking down the hallway, I turned to walk into the kitchen and I saw my dad and a bald old man sitting at the table. Both of them looked up at me and I suddenly felt like an intruder.

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to interrupt you,” I told them.

Jax shook his head, “no, it’s actually good that you are up.” I saw him motion to the older man that had more than a good number of years on him, “this is Wayne Unser. He’s the officer that we are talking to, getting information out of. He’s good with the club and he’s going to be our easiest insider and info about what to do.”

I nodded and gave him a bit of a wave. Jax got up and he asked me, “what do you normally eat for breakfast? We have…uh, toast, cereal…You like Lucky Charms?”

I gave him a large grin and I asked him, “who doesn’t?”

I saw him smile and he got out the box from the cupboard and I looked around, watching him to try and figure out where things were. Jax told me as he was walking around, getting the bowl, cereal box, and milk out, “I was wondering when you would be waking up. Tara already had to go to work.”

“Sorry. It’s kind of easy to sleep in when you are in a comfortable bed and you can’t hear anything.” I answered him as he gave me a bowl full of Lucky Charms.

I followed him to the table and sat beside him as I placed the bowl on the table. I saw Unser looking at me. He looked back at Jax and told him, “she looks like you enough, that’s for sure.”

My father and I looked at each other. Was it really that? I didn’t see much of my looks in Jax. Did he think I looked like him? My dad made an uncomfortable noise before he informed me, “Unser and I were just talking about you, what to do.”