Chapter 33 to 40

CHAPTER 33 [Reading aloud]

Having passed through a weekend's fermentation, early on Monday morning the unsuccessful attempt to jump off a building above the Skyscreen exploded into pandemonium. Fei Du had not yet left the parking lot before he met with two raiding parties and discovered that with the wave of a hand he'd become internet famous.

Holding half a cup of already cooled London Fog, President Fei mulled it over in his office. He felt that the money couldn't be thrown away, and neither could his fame. Therefore he waved over his secretary and told her to go to the marketing department and have them put together a special plan in the company's name concerning corporate social responsibility, using this event as a pretext to make a fuss.

The secretary click-clacked away at her laptop, recording his sudden inspiration. Before she left, she hung on the point of speaking for a while, the rims of her eyes reddening, and at last cautiously asked, "President Fei, was everything you said on the Skyscreen true?"

"Hm?" Fei Du was flipping through his daily schedule. Hearing this, he looked up with a somewhat ridiculing, half indulgent smile. "Of course not, there was a suicide intervention expert behind me feeding me lines. They wouldn't let me say whatever I wanted in a situation like that.—How can you take everything so seriously? It's too cute."

The red flush spread from the secretary's eye-rims to her whole face. She made a scornful noise and turned to go.

"Hey, wait a second." Fei Du called her to a halt with a bright smile. "Does the company need me to peddle sex appeal at a dinner party today?"

Full of thwarted maternal feelings, the secretary rolled her eyes. "No, for the moment we have no use for that valuable intangible asset."

"That's all right, then." Fei Du immediately peeled off his suit jacket and shut his laptop.

Half an hour later, he had picked up Mother He from the hospital and was heading towards the City Bureau with her.

Wang Xiujuan was after all seriously ill and no longer young. Having undergone a great grief, she'd been kept under observation at the hospital for a weekend, and was only released to collect He Zhongyi's remains.

The death of a young man from far away having brought with it a case of corruption and drug trafficking that shook the nation, Yan City's City Bureau had no choice but to form a cooperative task force with a discipline inspection committee and work around the clock.

By comparison, the murder of He Zhongyi wasn't attended so closely. Luo Wenzhou, Tao Ran, Lang Qiao, and the others who had taken on the case from the start were responsible for the follow-up work.

The appearance of He Zhongyi's body had been taken care of. It no longer looked as dreadful as when he had been found by the side of the road. His face wore a look of serenity painstakingly crafted by the mortician.

Zhao Yulong and some of He Zhongyi's former coworkers spontaneously came to help, and Ma Xiaowei put in an appearance under the supervision of Xiao Haiyang and a civil policeman.

Zhang Donglai, having been pressured or something, entered the stage midway. He saw Fei Du supporting Wang Xiujuan from afar and went over, his movements unnatural and uncoordinated, then rigidly nodded to Wang Xiujuan. He said, "Auntie, I really wasn't the one who killed your son."

He was tall and sturdy; Wang Xiujuan fearfully backed up half a step.

Zhang Donglai again searched his guts and belly for thoughts. "Although I actually did hit him..."

Fei Du's chilly look scraped over him, and Zhang Donglai rubbed his nose awkwardly, shut his mouth, and didn't dare to say anything else. He made a gesture excusing himself to Mother He.