Chapter 41 to 50

CHAPTER 41 [Humbert Humbert- Eight]

"The missing girl is Qu Tong, eleven years old. She was originally on the bus. Attempting to help the teacher distract the thug's attention, she threw an alarm device out the window, then in the commotion climbed out the window and ran away. We don't know where she's run off to."

"Have some police dogs transferred over from West Ridge County." When he'd heard, Luo Wenzhou's reaction was fairly composed. "It's all right. A small child can't run far. Find some well-spoken people and have them reassure the parents. To tell you the truth, if she hadn't run, when the kidnapper had come around and realized that she'd been the one to throw the alarm device, the outcome doesn't bear thinking about. Seems to me the child is pretty sharp."

Fei Du turned his head and whistled towards his far-off disreputable companions. In this society of idlers, he could rally a hundred at a single call. The rich kids had first raced motorbikes in the rain; then, when the water on them hadn't fully dried, they'd participated in a hostage rescue operation. Though they'd only been props and hadn't even gotten to see whether the kidnapper had been fat or thin, it still counted as enough stimulus to last them for the rest of the year. Hearing Fei Du's call, they rushed up in a crowd. "Master Fei, what else is there?"

"From the City Bureau." In a few words, Fei Du gave a high-level summary of the entire glorious life of the handsome man in front of him. Then he said, "An eleven-year-old little girl went missing from that bus. I'll send a photograph to my friends group in a while. If you don't have anything going on tonight, help search."

"All right, no problem!" Zhang Donglai could for once stand up straight in front of Luo Wenzhou. He grinned cheekily and nodded to him. "Hello, Captain Luo. If you need anything, Captain Luo, give a shout, we're all family!"

Luo Wenzhou coldly looked this person over. He'd heard that after getting into trouble, Young Master Zhang had been shut up in a little dark room at home for a couple of months. Here and now, he had perhaps just been "released upon completion of his sentence." He was wearing a vest that left his arms bare and pants with a big hole on each side. He had a new haircut, shaved into the form of a rooster's crest, with a line of multicolored long hairs sticking up every which way from the top of his head. On the back of his head some character had been carved.

Curiously, Luo Wenzhou said, "What's that on your head?"

Zhang Donglai at once stood at attention and reported, "The character 'endure.'"

In spite of himself Luo Wenzhou felt some deep veneration—it turned out that Young Master Zhang's august countenance was the result of endurance.

"Captain Luo, set your mind at ease, I'm familiar with this place," said Zhang Donglai. "We bourgeoisie are the great pollutant over here. Aside from the extravagant and corrupt, there aren't any other scourges at all. For fifty kilometers around, the most aggressive wild animal is a little squirrel. There's definitely no danger!"

This was actually true. In this era, West Ridge was elite and remote to start with, and the rainstorm would have emptied it even more thoroughly. How far could a panicked little girl run?

Upon first hearing the news, no one got very agitated. All the work was carried out methodically.—The deranged Han Chengzheng was carried away in a body bag; an ambulance took away the seriously injured Teacher Hu and the still-breathing kidnapper Han Jiang. The crowd of frightened students left in groups, accompanied by parents, to collectively undergo physical examination and psychological counseling. The transferred police dogs were soon in position.

Several small search and rescue teams split up to operate. Zhang Donglai scared up a pile of brightly colored convertibles from somewhere, which, collectively broadcasting the theme song to Pleasant Goat and Big Big Wolf, quickly arrived on the nearby large and small roads to search.