Chapter 111 to 120

CHAPTER 111 Verhovensky 21

The lights in Luo Wenzhou's house were not only on, they were on rather aggressively, pouring out of the living room onto the balcony.

Luo Wenzhou stared, got out of the car and looked around, and not far away found a very familiar car. "Strange, today isn't Friday."

"Today is Friday," Fei Du said helplessly.

Luo Wenzhou: "..."

So-called Friday was like a beauty set off by family background and splendid attire; remove the meaning of its name, and the thing itself was worthless. For someone who had to work on festivals and holidays and had gotten the days of the week confused, it would instead become a source of increased grief and indignation.

Luo Wenzhou sighed. As he urged Fei Du to hurry up and not dawdle outside, he casually said, "It's fine. It's because there aren't many parking spaces. The neighbors leave to spend the weekend in the countryside on Friday and Saturday evenings, so we can get by using one of their spots for a while—my parents sometimes come over on Friday evenings to bring me some stuff, though they may not have time to come more than once every few months. Then they come sit for a while and leave."

Fei Du's steps suddenly stopped at the bottom of the stairs.

The corridor's sound-operated lights hadn't been working very smoothly lately; you had to stamp hard to awaken them. Now they were still.

Fei Du was standing half inside and half outside, the glow of the streetlights surrounding his shoulders in a pale halo.

What would his parents think, coming over and suddenly seeing a strange man living here?

Fei Du hesitated, not knowing how he should introduce himself.

A colleague? A friend? A roommate? Or... In a flash, Fei Du remembered seeing Mu Xiaoqing at the hospital that day; what had her last meaningful words meant? Had Luo Wenzhou officially come out of the closet to his parents? Or had that lady just been relying on a mother's instincts and sounding him out?

This was Luo Wenzhou's private business. Fei Du had never asked about it, and he had nothing to judge from.

Exchanges between physical bodies were after all only a brief expression of desire. Fei Du thought that the relationship between him and Luo Wenzhou was a tangle of unclear ambiguity; it became more confused with each step. He was accustomed to carefully analyzing and arranging everything about himself. He only now realized with a start that in this, he didn't even have a sense of boundaries or any plans; he'd just let things develop as they would. It was as though he were going downstream in a little boat, not caring about the direction, not caring about the hidden reefs; if he encountered a whirlpool and was swallowed by it, he wasn't planning on struggling6.

Luo Wenzhou looked back, looking right into his eyes. "What's wrong?"

Luo Wenzhou's expression was so matter-of-fact that it seemed he hadn't noticed at all that there was anything inappropriate in this scene.

Fei Du paused, then tactfully tried, "With your parents here, won't I be a little in the way?"

The tips of Luo Wenzhou's eyebrows moved slightly. Perhaps it was because it was too dark all around and Fei Du couldn't see his subtle expression clearly, or perhaps it was because Luo Wenzhou was accustomed to not showing his emotions on his face, and the more genuine feelings he had, the more unmoved he looked... At any rate, Fei Du actually couldn't tell for a time what his meaning was.

Then, as though nothing were the matter, Luo Wenzhou said, "It's fine. They know you're here. The two of them came to look at you when you were in the hospital, though you weren't entirely conscious then. And my mom came to bring you food afterwards, you must remember?"