Chapter 3

Liam

"Alpha?"

"Yes, Amy?" I call the old woman into my office. She's been our packhouse manager for fifty years and there are few people I trust more. She is a mousy woman, barely five foot with short brown hair and warm brown eyes. She wipes her hands nervously on the white apron she wears over her light blue dress.

"I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the young ones broke another window." I sigh in annoyance and pinch the bridge of my nose.

"Damn teenagers." I mutter to myself when Amy tsks at me.

"Now Alpha Liam don't you forget you were one of those young men not too long ago."

"It feels like a long time ago." She sighs and gives me a concerned look.

"You seem far too troubled for a twenty four year old. You need to relax. Have some fun. Maybe find your mate."

"Agreed, but right now I have a window to fix." She nods and exits my office. I lean back from my large wood desk and stare out the window on the other side. It gives me an excellent view of the training grounds. I open my mind link with my beta as I continue to watch my men train.

'Sam?'

'Yes Alpha?'

'Do you have time to run into town to get a new window for the packhouse? It's supposed to storm good tonight and I want it fixed so no more damage occurs.'

'Damn, did those rowdy punks break another window? Sorry, Alpha I don't have time. I have to lead training in a half hour.'

'What about Callum?'

'His mate is due to give birth at any second. Good luck getting him from Kara's side let alone off pack grounds.'

'Shit, I guess I'll do it myself.' I break the link and grab my keys.

I stop to get a sandwich and a bottle of water from Amy, while also giving my young pack members the evil eye. They all shrink under my gaze and I can nearly guarantee they won't make this mistake again. The nearest town is just over an hour away and I take the time to enjoy the silence.

I reach the store and as I get out of my car, the wind changes and I catch the most amazing smell of strawberries, honey and vanilla. My wolf is chanting in my head

'Mate, mate, mate!'

I look around to see where the smell is coming from and lock eyes on the most beautiful woman I've ever seen. Her long blonde hair travels in waves down her back and her eyes are a gorgeous shade of crystal blue. Her short jean shorts let me take in her long, tan legs leading up to a scrumptious ass, lean waist with luscious hips I can't wait to sink my claws into. She turns to face me and I nearly lose my mind. Her pink tank top displays a small amount of cleavage for her ample breasts and her beautiful little mouth smiles back at me. I head in her direction, fully aware of the ridiculous smile on my face as she traces me head to toe with her own eyes.

'Look all you want, sweetheart. I'm all yours.' I think to myself. I lengthen my strides to get to her quicker when she gets the most adorable, confused look on her face. Does she not smell me? Surely she knows I'm her mate. Maybe she didn't want a mate. I get closer to her and inhale deeper.

Then stop in my tracks.

She's human.

"Ah, fuck!" I mutter.

This can't be happening. My entire life I've always said I don't care who my mate is as long as she's not human. I didn't really care about having a mate at all. I mostly just want help with the pack. All of that lovey dovey shit isn't really me. I mean yeah I wouldn't mind having a built in sex buddy and I'll need an heir eventually, but I'm not about to snuggle and tell the girl I love her.