Chapter 37

Lily

The weather was finally changing. The snow was long gone, and fresh green grass had replaced it on the ground. The trees were lush with foliage and wildflowers had sprung up randomly throughout the pack. The mornings were still crisp, and Liam had put out the new patio furniture he got me for Christmas. I spent every morning out there with him, me wrapped in a blanket, drinking coffee and discussing our days. We fell into a simple pattern of domestic bliss. I had never been happier in my life, even with Derek. I walked around the pack daily, just to look at the natural beauty that surrounded me. I had never felt so at peace in my life.

Until lately. For the last few weeks, Liam had been on edge. There were sightings of rogues all over the pack borders. Sometimes one and sometimes up to four. Liam wasn’t concerned about the size of the attacks, just the fact that they were happening at all. Our fighters were very skilled and very well trained, so there had been no injuries and no need to use the bunkers, but Liam was going crazy trying to figure out what they were up to.

He walked into the kitchen on the phone with Alpha Ethan, the alpha we had met at the ball. He had called every nearby pack, and none had been having the same issues as us. Liam was frustrated and Sam was exhausted. He had picked up extra patrols. Liam had increased the number of wolves on our borders, and that meant pulling more hours for our fighters. He wasn’t able to rotate them out as frequently, and fatigue was beginning to wear on them. I could even feel it in my pack bond. I had started visiting the fighters when they got home to help calm them and help them fall asleep faster. Sleep was a precious commodity at this point.

Having their mates home less often also meant more struggling mothers in the pack. Wolf pups are not easy to care for, so I started visiting mothers of young children as well. Sometimes I would have them bring the pups to the packhouse and make the teenagers help me watch them, just so the moms could have a few hours to shop, clean or just have some peace and quiet. I could feel the tension rising almost daily in our pack link. Everyone was becoming strung too tight.

I wasn’t sure how long it would be before we snapped.

“I’m sending scouts out among the borders and unclaimed land around us today.” Liam said over breakfast.

“What are you hoping they’ll find?” I ask curiously, dishing eggs onto his plate.

“Anything. A camp or hiding spot. A reason for these attacks. I’ve never seen anything like it. The ones we capture don’t even know why they were sent here. It’s so frustrating!” I feel his anger through our bond and round the island to rub his back while he sits with his elbows on the counter, face in his hands.

“I just want the pack to be safe.” He says quietly. “I want you to be safe.” I smile gently at him and lean down to press my lips on his. He always makes me feel safe. He feels like home.

“I’m sure you’ll figure it out, baby. I like the idea of the scouts. Maybe there’s something we’re missing because we can’t see the whole picture.” He nods and we hear the front door close.

“Hey Alpha! Hey Luna!” Sam says as he saunters into the kitchen. His hair is wet and matted from sweat and his bare chest is heaving with heavy breaths.

“Everything alright?” Liam asks. Sam nods and sneaks a piece of bacon from his plate.

“Yeah, was just on a run around the border and thought I’d stop by for some breakfast. You have enough, my favorite Luna?” He asks with his big, pleading eyes. I laugh and grab him a plate.

“There’s always enough for you, Sammy boy.” He beams at me and tries to sneak another piece of bacon from Liam, who stabs his hand with a fork.

“Ow! Alpha!” Liam smirks at him and goes back to his food.

“You don’t touch an Alpha’s food.”

I pile Sam’s plate high and he scarfs it down like he hasn’t eaten in days, which I know is not true because he ate cold left over pot roast straight out of the Tupperware container last night while standing in front of the open fridge.

“Thank you, Luna.” He gives me a boyish smile and I kiss his cheek affectionately.

“God damnit!” Liam shouts before throwing his fork down.

“What, Alpha? It was just a peck on the cheek!” Sam says defensively. Liam shakes his head and stands from the island.

“There’s another fucking rogue attack. Five of them this time.”

“Where at?” Sam asks while trying to shovel the rest of the food in his mouth.

“The western corner.” Sam looks at him confused.

“Seriously? I was just out there. I didn’t see or smell anything.” Liam shrugs and takes his shirt off to prepare to shift.

“Axel, Keith and Evan are out there now. I’m gonna head out to make sure they have it under control.” Sam nods and stands.

“I’m going to go with you, see if I missed anything.” Sam rounds the island to kiss me on the cheek and give me a sweaty hug. I scrunch up my nose and push him away gently.

“Ugh, you stink Sam!” I exclaim as he chuckles.

“Thanks for breakfast, Luna!” He shouts over his shoulder as he heads out the door. Liam chuckles and walks up to me, wrapping me up in his arms.

“Do I need to go in the bunker?” I ask him quietly. I ask every time. I know it’s important to him that I defer my safety to him. That I trust him.

“Nah, it’s only five of them and they are on the way other side of the territory. They’ll probably all be dead by the time I get there.” He says and plants a kiss on my forehead.

I wrap my arms around his neck and pull him in tight. Even though I know he’s a big, badass Alpha, I still get nervous every time he leaves like this.

“And when I get back, all sweaty and bloody from battle, we can take a nice long shower together.” He smirks at me.

“Mmmm… well, hurry back then because that sounds like an excellent way to the spend the afternoon.”

“The whole afternoon?” His eyebrows raise as his smile widens.

I lean up on my tiptoes until my mouth is next to his ear.

“And maybe most of the night.” I whisper. I feel him shiver in my arms and goosebumps to rise on his skin under my hands.

“God, baby. You’re gonna be the death of me."

He leans down and sucks in my bottom lip to nibble on it and I push my tongue into his mouth. He groans deeply before moving his hands around to squeeze my ass. He pulls away reluctantly as I try to catch my breath.

“I’ll be home soon. I love you.” He says before giving me one last peck.

“I love you, too.” I respond as I watch his retreating form.

After I hear the front door close, I turn to clean up after breakfast. After a few minutes I’m mentally trying to plan the rest of my day, carving out a generous amount of time for Liam, when I hear the front door open and close again. My brows furrow in confusion and I turn to face the doorway.

“Liam?” I yell out. “That was quick.”

I get no response but hear heavy footsteps down the hallway. Then a large, burly figure darkens the doorway with a cruel smirk, stormy grey eyes and dirty blonde hair up in a ponytail. I gasp and retreat as far back against the cupboards as I can.

“Not quite, princess.” He says with amusement.

Alpha Kane Harder.

The Human's AlphaOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara