Night Terrors

Summary : Daenerys seeks comfort when a bad night occurs.

Warning : um.. nothing?? Just comfort :'

Words : 1058

•°•°•°•

Night time hasn't always been kind to Daenerys. Everytime she closed her eyes, she would see shadows or corpses of people she failed to save. She would hear the screams, begging for mercy of the masters she'd punished. Then it would be of the children, crying for their mothers, some of starvation, or illness.

The darkness in her room taunted her every night - she would see an outline of a man, covered from head to toe. He would carry a knife, or when her mind decided to be cruel, a long sword, in his hand. She feared that it would be true, somehow. Her heart is always pounding in her chest, and no matter how many breaths she took, it doesn't make her less frightened.

Some nights, she would dream of home, with the red door and a lemon tree, her family somehow alive. She would bask in the sun, walk through the gardens, sneak into the kitchen to steal leftovers, and then she would see you. There isn't one dream of her home where you weren't present. It simply wouldn't exist without you, she thinks.

Tonight isn't any different. She had taken a bath, had dinner with you. It had been a long day of listening and fixing problems and trying to please the people. It was exhausting, but the satisfaction of seeing smiles on their faces paid it off fairly.

When she settled under the covers, the silence suddenly became so deafening. The moon emitted some light to her room, and a chill went down her spine at the gentle breeze blowing through her window. Two candles were lit on both sides of her bed, yet she still felt uneasy.

Eventually, Daenerys drifted off, her exhaustion catching up on her faster than she'd anticipated. She felt the world burning. Fire were consuming the whole city, and she stood on top of the castle, unmoving. There was the crackling of the fire as they destroyed and melted rocks, terrified screams echoing in her ears.

When she turned to her back, she found a faceless man holding a knife to your throat, and when he moved, your head rolled onto the floor with a heavy thud and a scream ripped through her throat. The scene changed from that of your lifeless eyes to the plain wall in her room, breath coming in pants as she tried to calm her nerves.

Without thinking, Daenerys got off of her bed and stood on shaky feet, not even bothering to cover herself in warmer clothes. Her feet carried her to the door located just at the end of the hallway from hers, knocking several times and waiting anxiously.

When the door opened, she stepped into your arms without so much as a word, sighing as she felt your warmth under her skin.

Your eyes widened at her actions, but you didn't pull away. Instead, you checked for intruders before closing the door slowly moving towards your bed with Daenerys still clinging to you. She looked vulnerable, and so you touched her shoulder attentively, as if she would break if you added a little more pressure.

You laid on your back and she followed suit, except she was laying on your chest. You stretch out and she settled between your legs, arms on either side of your body and head tucked under your chin. Tucking both of you under the covers to keep warm, you brought up your hand to caress her head, smoothing out any tangles in her hair.

Daenerys has never been one for physical affection in public. But little did they know, the Mother of Dragons is such a cuddle bug behind closed doors.

You didn't say a word, and neither did she. One thing was concluded; she wasn't feeling good. Possibly another nightmare. That would explain the erratic breathing and the bead of sweat on her forehead, the slight tremble in her grip on your nightgown.

You hummed a random tune, wrapping your other arm around her tightly, squeezing in reassurance as you felt the wetness on your shoulder, sniffles coming out of her occasionally.

"Never leave me." She expressed, her voice hoarse from all the crying. You nodded, unsure of where this is coming from. She gripped your arm and lifted her head, causing your hand to fall off. "Promise me." You frowned, was the nightmare that bad?

"I'll try my best not to." You reassured her, but it didn't seem to be enough. "Promise. Please." Your heart ached at her plea, "I promise." And with that, she sighed in relief and tucked her head under your chin once more.

"Tell me a story." She murmured against your chest. You chuckled, the vibrations in your chest sending a smile to the silver haired woman's face. You hummed, contemplating on what story you should bring forward to the Queen tonight, knowing she needed the distraction.

"You see," You started, shifting a little to let Daenerys adjust, finding a more comfortable position. She moved to your side and tangled her legs with yours, your arm making its way around her, the other touching hers that was draped on your stomach.

"There is a tale, of dragons. But they were gone. For some time." Daenerys furrowed her brows at the start of your story, confused. You continued quickly, not giving her any time to interject. "But, one day, A beautiful girl with silver hair, brought them back from stones."

Daenerys closed her eyes as she let herself be enveloped in your presence. Her mouth quirked up at certain points of your story where you exaggerated her actions, making them sound more heroic than it actually was.

She fell into slumber as she listened to your voice, basking in the comfort you radiated and the feel of your heartbeat against her cheek.

Tightening your grip on her, you trailed off as you noticed her breathing even out. Right there, you willed her tears to dry and wished her pain to go away, so she wouldn't have these ever present scary nights where it was hard to even close her eyes.

Placing a kiss on her head, you breathed carefully, falling into a deep sleep yourself.

Daenerys didn't wake up in cold sweat or screams anymore that night, instead she was warm and content, in a place where she knew she belonged.