v. promises

I let the boy in. He didn't seem like much of the social type, in all honesty, neither was I. I only talked to my friends and Dean.

He wiped his shoes on the mat.

"You said we needed to talk."

He looked down at me, "There's a few things we need to get out of the way." His voice was low like he was constantly exhausted.

"Who are you?" I asked.

He widened his eyes, I'm guessing he didn't expect me to be so blunt.

"Megumi." He said.

"... I like that name."

"Tch, I'm not here to be your friend." He muttered.

"Sounds like you don't have many of them anyways."

"Look, you're in deep shit, okay? You're branded, which means Sukuna isn't done with you. He'll be back. We're still trying to figure what his attachment to you is. For the time being, Gojo's making me watch over you. So don't do anything stupid."

This guy was even more blunt than me. Definitely the serious type.

"It's not like I'm gonna go shout from the roof tops for Sukuna."

"Take this seriously."

"I am, I'm just still trying to comprehend all of this."

"Well hurry up with that."

"You're real charming huh."

He rolled his eyes and walked further into the kitchen to snoop around.

"What are looking for?" I asked.

"A place to set up a talisman."

"I'm not even going to try and pretend I know what that is."

"It's to ward off curses, your kitchen seems to be where most people gather. These stones need energy."

Megumi pulled out a golden box from his backpack. Inside laid a red gem and some sort of silver chain. He was focused.

"Will you be staying the night?" I said.

"Gojo's orders."

"At least make it sound like you want to."

"I don't want to."

"Well I'll prep you a room. There's no one else living here but me so you'll get some peace and quiet."

"Wonderful." He said sarcastically.

It looked like we would be getting along quite terribly.

~ ~ ~

I prepared one of the guest rooms, specifically; the one that was farthest from my bedroom. Hopefully that would give him joy. I laid out the comforter and swept around. There wasn't much in here besides a bed. I bet he'd like it that way. He seemed pretty plain.

I headed out into the hallway for the stairs until I was met with him again. He furrowed his brows.

"What?" He said. I blinked away the daze.

"I set up your room, it's the last door on the right. Let me know if you need anything."

We passed each other on the stair case as I heard his voice.

"Hey." He said.

"Hm?" I turned around, his back was facing me.

"I appreciate it ya know." He muttered.

If only he could've seen my face. I had bug eyes. Was he seriously just being nice for a change?

"Yeah... No problem. It's the least I can do after everything you guys are doing for me. Thanks by the way, I'm sorry if I'm a problem." I said.

A brief silence stood between us.

"You are a problem but... I'll protect you... I promise..."

And he walked off into the guest room. We wouldn't see each other for the rest of the night.