Chapter 1

Evan

Three months ago, professor Maverick Monroe had taken me into his storage room and finally acted on the sultry looks he'd been shooting me since the first day I walked into his class months ago. While that day had been a dream come true for me, nothing permanent had come of it. Maverick had barely even looked at me since then. He'd carefully pulled his pants up, given me a tight smile and a few rushed words, and quickly ushered me out of his classroom. My eyes had burned with shame and I'd sworn to myself it would never happen again.

My promise was irrelevant as Maverick was apparently also dead-set on never having that moment repeated, even though I could feel something for him burning inside me. Did he not feel the same? Perhaps I was just convenient in the moment.

My thoughts were yanked back to the present as the ground rushed up on me. Someone had stuck out their foot to trip me as I'd passed through the aisle between the desks. My chin hit the ground and my jaw snapped shut. I tasted blood.

"Jason, stop it. You're not a child." I fought to suppress the shudder the sound of his voice still sent through my body. Maverick's large hand closed around my upper arm and pulled me to my feet. He frowned as he looked at his hand that had yet to unclench. My hoodie sleeve caved in comically around my thin arm. Much thinner than it had been three months ago.

I yanked myself out of his hold, sent a foul look at both him and Jason, who had tripped me, before making my way to a seat at the back of the class. I heard snickers from behind me, no doubt from the guys who thought they were so tough picking on me. Maverick's sharp eyes burned into my back and the tingling on my neck assured me he was still watching me.

I didn't know why my body responded to him. I'd never been attracted to anyone before he walked into the class for the first time five months ago. I was in my last year of studying at Pine Academy and he was a new teacher this year. In all my twenty two years, I'd never felt that way about anyone but him. Could this truly be the soulbound bond?

As I fell into the seat at one of the desks, I could feel that sense of wrongness still present in my body. I'd felt it every day for a long time and I didn't know what to do about it. I had no family or friends to talk to, nor could I go to the clinic. With the rest of the students hating me for who I was, I could barely show my face outside classes. Walking around unattended on the grounds or heading to the nearby human town that the other students frequented was just asking for trouble.

Professor Maverick began teaching his class. He was a water wielder and taught both our theory and our practical classes. Today was blessedly theory. I'd been struggling through practicals for weeks now and water was an especially difficult element for me. It took a lot of concentration and energy. Your thoughts had to be clear and your mind still. I could rarely achieve the level of serendipity needed.

A wave of nausea crashed over me and I groaned softly, pressing the back of my hand to my mouth for a moment. As it ebbed in my body, I gave in and rested my forehead on the desk in front of me. I was so bloody tired of feeling like this. I could barely keep anything down, not even water. I was so tired, I could fall asleep right then, not caring that the others would find even more reason to tease me.

A few minutes passed in silence. Suddenly, a hand landed on my back. Through the familiar tingles it brought, I knew who it belonged to.

"Are you alright?" Maverick sounded concerned.

I wanted to reassure him to make him leave and stop drawing attention, but knew that even a nod of my head would cause me to lose what little breakfast I'd had. I breathed deeply, but reached out blindly with my left hand. I needed...something. He needed to fix whatever was wrong with me. Maverick surprised me by taking my hand and discreetly hiding our joined palms as he knelt next to the desk. As soon as I breathed in his scent, the nausea started dissipating.