Chapter 2

Evan

I quickly ducked into a different hallway as Maverick approached me with a determined expression. He still refused to talk to me in public and I'd avoided being alone with him for an entire week. Students milled about and I weaved through them with great effort. When I looked behind me, Maverick was standing at the end of the hall looking straight at me, a frown marring his handsome face.

As soon as I reached the cafeteria, my stomach roiled uncomfortably. I sighed. It was already an hour past lunch and I'd hoped to finally eat something for the day, but didn't feel like seeing it coming up again. The sickness had gotten even worse over the past week.

I desperately wanted to be alone, but knew that Maverick would corner me the moment I was. I'd taken to sitting at the picnic tables on the grass quad in the middle of the academy grounds with the other students just to avoid him. Even the constant teasing and disapproving looks was better than seeing him flinch away from me again.

I could still hardly believe it. He'd seemed to really like me at first. I'd even felt the souldbound connection, but it was all a lie. He cared what I was and where I came from just as much as all the others did. I thought soulbounds were supposed to love you no matter what. Now, it seemed he judged me just as much as everyone else did. Even worse was all of them mindlessly following along with my clan's treatment of me. Not that they even were my clan. I was only placed in their care because I had nowhere else to go. An orphan elf, what a joke. Not even my parents had wanted me. I was found on the Hennecky Clan's lands at the age of three. Since then, they had made sure my every day was a living hell.

Jason, the Hennecky Clanmaster's son, made sure that everyone knew what I was and about what he called my perverse desires. It just hurt worse because I had foolishly believed Maverick wouldn't mind who I was. It was silly. I'd always known there was a chance my soulbound would take one look at me and walk away. Why was it so difficult to accept now that it had happened?

Soulbounds were a term used to describe the person who shared your soul. The story goes that every elf's soul is split in two at birth. Somewhere during the five hundred years of our lifetime, we would meet someone who shared a part of our soul. That person would be destined for you by fate and you are expected to love and care for them for the rest of their lives.

Guess it worked differently when you were a bearer. I thought he knew. I thought everyone knew.

I'd been shunned all my life for what I was. Bearers weren't as uncommon as they used to be, but we were mostly still seen as the lowest of the low in our society. Outcasts. Rejects. Bearers were men who were able to become pregnant. Centuries ago, they were killed at birth. Now, we were left alive, but not accepted by the majority of our people per the Elder Council's rules. It was so ridiculous. Since when was carrying babies a problem? Since it meant you were probably gay, thats when. I shook my head. How ridiculous.

I took out my books and tried to study. Because of my fatigue, I'd been missing a lot of what was said in class. Many professors berated me on a daily basis. Only two, Maverick and Jackson, let me be when I could barely pick up my head in their classes. My vision swam. I hadn't had a proper meal in a long time. I couldn't keep this up.

My eyes closed in an attempt to stop the tears from rolling down my cheeks. I was so alone. I couldn't stand it anymore.

I dozed under a tree for most of the day before going back to the dorms. The Hennekey Clan liked to torture and taunt. They weren't respectable people. It was widely known that they liked to use the resources the other clans work so hard to provide. They never contributed and they took their elemental magic as a right, not the privilege it was.