Chapter 5

Evan

My first class of the day was water wielding theory. In the two months since I'd found out I was pregnant, a lot had changed. Maverick and Jackson had moved all my stuff from my shared dorm room to Maverick's house. The professor was so doting. He refused to let me lift a finger. He constantly complained that I still went to classes every day and particularly that I participated in the practical classes. I knew what my body could handle, though, and I was a lot stronger now than I'd ever been before. The soulbound bond made sure of that.

Nobody at the academy knew about the pregnancy yet. We'd decided to deal with it when it became a problem. We weren't necessarily hiding it, but I hadn't even begun showing until a couple weeks ago. Now, my stomach was huge. The baby's growth appeared to be making up for lost time. Maverick and the doctor chalked my previous smaller size up to malnutrition. The baby was finally a healthy size and they were both happy with my weight gain.

Nathan had gradually warmed up to Jackson and both Maverick and I had followed their love story religiously. About three weeks ago, we realised someone was sleeping over at Jackson's. We got up early one morning and spied through the curtains. A very disheveled looking Nathan had stumbled down the steps only to be scooped up and kissed a few moments later by an elated Jackson. The next day as we looked out the curtain, Maverick had wolf whistled at them. Nathan's cheeks had turned extremely red when he saw us waving at them, but Jackson had just waved back, a huge smile on his face.

My water wielding theory class was still empty as I was a few minutes early. The professor looked up at my entry and we made eye contact. I smiled at him. "Fancy meeting you here, sir."

He groaned. "You know I hate it when you call me that."

I threw my arms around his neck and laughed. "I know. But I love it." My rounding belly pressed against his abdomen and he held me even tighter. Our lips met before he rested his forehead against mine, his hands coming to rest on my waist with his thumbs rubbing circles into the underside of my belly. He absolutely loved touching it. His cuddles now included getting his fix of petting and touching my belly. He called it 'getting to know the baby'. I called it sexy.

We jumped apart as the door opened. I hastily made my way to one of the front seats, my cheeks only slightly hot. I tapped my pen against the desk impatiently as my thoughts slipped. Maverick was valiantly trying to keep my attention focused on defensive uses of water magic, but his baby stole the show as it rolled in my tummy.

This afternoon, we would finally find out the gender of our little one. They hadn't been facing the right way the previous appointment, or something like that. While it didn't matter either way, we were both really excited. Maverick was also house hunting. He'd decided that first day that we would need a bigger house and has been dead set on finding the perfect one ever since. I just let him do his thing. Worrying was how he coped with the stress.

"Evan?" Maverick's voice brought me back to the present. I bit my lip. I hadn't heard his question and by his smirk, he knew it too. He took pity on me. "Surely you know what the first matter of importance should be when trying to fight with water."

"Uh, finding a water source." The class snickered. Maverick smiled. "No! Calming your emotions," I quickly amended.

"Good. We all know that sometimes, elements feed off of negative emotions. But oftentimes, these negative emotions also cause a loss in control. Which is why we need to remain calm to stay in control." Maverick paused and thought for a second. "Though, I will admit that finding a water source is also a good idea." The class laughed.