Chapter Eight

I watch the clock tick aimlessly on my seventh day in this room. Cain never returned, it's been seven days and the only contact I've had is from the slave boys who bring me food, water and occasionally coffee. I've tried to keep my mind stimulated by reading books and magazines and even drawing, but most of the time I'm that bored that I just sleep. If I ask for something then the slaves bring it to me, no questions asked and hardly any conversation generates between us at all. It's like they're terrified of angering the King by talking to me.

I have an ensuite bathroom connected through a doorway at the back of the room, it's small with a bathtub, shower, toilet and sink. I spent around half the day cleaning it, scrubbing down the black tiles and bleaching the sink holes, it gave me something to do for a few hours but now I'm going mad again.

There's a battery powered CD player on one of the shelves and I play some of the music that Cain knows that I like. Or liked. I haven't heard music in years, we weren't allowed to listen to it at the nannery. After an hour I become sick of it and I turn it off. I sit back in the red chair in the silence, thinking of why he hasn't come back.

Raven said that when he touched me he couldn't stand to be around me after, maybe the same is happening to Cain. He can't be around me because he wouldn't be able to resist feeding on me. But that's why I'm here. It's the entire point. I'm not exactly in a rush to die but it would be helpful for him to inform me of what's happening so that I can stop having panic attacks every time the door knocks.

I just need air. Some form of air, any form. I'm starting to feel like I can't breathe in this room. How long will he hide me for? Months? Years? Am I to never leave this room again? At least the humans trapped in cages only have to endure their suffering for weeks. If my fate is to be killed by him then I'd rather just get it over with.

The door knocks at exactly seven in the evening. The usual time for my dinner. I call for the slave to enter and I make my way over to the table. The slave looks around seventeen with curly, brown hair that he ties back with a band. He is the same slave that brought me my lunch earlier in the day. He keeps his eyes down as he places the tray in the middle of the table, removing the cover. I stare down at the pepperoni pizza, my stomach growling in response. I've been brought my old favourite foods all week. The food my parents used to make for me. From pasta and fish to deliciously cooked brisket with coleslaw and beans. I feel bad that they have to make this food for me because I am starting to realize that they themselves cannot eat it. The slave glares down at the food with hungry eyes, his throat swallowing as he backs away.

"Enjoy," he says.

"Wait," I say. The slave turns back around. "Do you want a slice?"

He shakes his head. "I can't. The food is yours."

"I haven't seen the King all week, he will never know," I say. "Please, take a slice."

He considers it thoughtfully, taking careful steps back to the table. His eyes are locked on the pizza. He slides into the chair opposite me and picks one up, smelling it first before taking a slow bite out of it. I take one too and we watch each other eat while smiling.

"Thank you," he says.

"What's your name?"

"Christian."

"I'm Aurora."

"I know," he whispers, wiping his mouth with his hand. "Wendy talked about you. She said your first time being fed on was with the King."

I nod.

"Did he bid on you?"

"Something like that," I say.

"But he hasn't returned all week?" he questions. "That's peculiar. He hasn't fed on any of the other girls either. He never usually goes this long without feeding. They're becoming pretty restless and uneasy to be around, they enjoy their time with him."

"Really?" I say. I'm not completely surprised, just like Wendy they've probably accepted their fate and are making the best out of a bad situation. They might even consider it an honour that Cain chose them, that he bid for them. "How did you end up here?"

"I was transferred from the farming centre after the King visited. I guess he liked the way I handle food."

"But they don't eat," I say. I've never seen a creature eat real food before, the food that we consume.

"The food is for the girls," he says. "He likes to keep them happy. We eat plain food mainly, unless you're an attractive female in this palace then you're basically invisible."

"I'm sorry," I say.

"Don't be. I prefer being invisible."

I smile at his meaning and I offer him another slice of pizza, he refuses and rises from the chair, leaving moments later. I finish my dinner in silence. I take a shower and change into one of the silk pyjama sets. With nothing else to do, I sleep.