Chapter Forty-Two

Since I came up with this insane idea, I've been nervous about pulling it off. All over the world humans are being carried to one of the theme parks that Cain has opened. All the humans in the palace were told this morning by Christian what was happening and the atmosphere was incredible. I've never seen such excitement before. One of Cain's inner circle guards carried Jackson. I made Cain stay close to him so that I wasn't too far away. Apart from the slaves that were cruel to Miles, there wasn't a single human left at the palace. Cain made a few guards stay behind to keep watch over the perimeter, just in case any unwelcome guests decided to invade while we were away for the day.

It's a beautiful day. Sunny and warm. I'm wearing denim shorts and a flowy, white shirt with sandals. We touch ground in small groups while other creatures take their humans over to the long wall of wheelchairs. There are thousands of them landing from the sky, there's so many black wings blocking the blue that it looks like evening. Once the humans are dropped, the creatures return to the air. They'll be watching over everyone discreetly, only ordered to intervene if there's any problems.

I stare at the rollercoasters and rides in the distance, creatures will be operating them and the humans will probably be safer for it. The rides haven't been in operation for eight years. Though they've been fixed and tested, there's still many things that could go wrong. Cain is aware of that and has coached them to look out for warning signs. Most of the children are already running through the park, their nannies squealing as they run after them.

Cain wraps his arm around me. "How did I do?"

"I'll let you know when they all make it out alive."

"Good then."

"Yes," I say, bumping my shoulder into his. "You did good."

We reach Jackson and Natalie and I hand them both a water bottle from my bag. "You'll be with Samson's group," I say, pointing over to them. "Blake is your assigned watcher, he'll be above you at all times, okay? So if you get into any trouble then call for him."

"Okay," Jackson says. "Can we go now?"

"What time are we meeting for lunch?"

"Two," he sighs.

"Good. Take your sunscreen." I hand him the bottle and he stares back at me in embarrassment.

"Are you serious?"

"Does it look like I'm joking, Jackson? Take it or I'll put it on you right now in front of everyone." He cringes and takes it from me, dropping it into his bag. "Natalie, make sure he's putting it on. And you too."

"I will," she says. "Bye."

"Bye. Have fun. Don't forget to keep drink-" My loud words cut out as they run away to join Samson and his friends.

Cain chuckles. "Teenagers, eh?"

"Hm."

We continue walking through the park and we approach a group of children sitting beneath a large tree. I keep looking for Christian but I can't see him anywhere, there's so many guys running around and they all look like him. Cain stops abruptly and I crash into his arm. The children are running towards us while their nannies sit at a table eating grapefruit.

"Hi, Aurora," a little girl says. "We picked these for you."

The five of them extend their hands to reveal some tiny, white flowers. I crouch down slightly and I take them softly, bringing them to my nose with a smile.

"Thank you," I say.

They bow their heads sweetly and then run back to the tree. I smile at the nanny girls watching us from the shade, still smelling the flowers as we walk away.