Chapter 4: Surprises Big and Small

A/N: Guess who got a burst of energy. It took me a few days to finish this chapter, but I ended up getting so sucked in, I ended up writing one-paragraph summaries for the next... 10 chapters... the same night I posted the last one? Oops. 

I'm blown away by the number of people that have read this since I began updating again a few days ago. I can't thank all of you enough.

That being said, I will eventually be adding art to the main cover and the cover at the beginning of each chapter. They would also be available to view on my Tumblr when they get made (link pending), to allow readers on AO3 to see them as well. My art still needs work...

I also wanted to ask how you would feel if I occasionally added song links/recommendations to the end of some chapters. They'd be 100% optional and not required to listen to in order to read a chapter. I have a large playlist of songs I use to get in the mood while writing this and I thought I'd offer to share them.

WARNING: Cursing and minor gore descriptions

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

  You were slowly starting to become accustomed to the presence of these ghosts in your home. You still didn't like it, but you were forced to accept reality. You held out hope today would be better than the last few, especially since it seemed Formaggio was going to be switching with Illuso to keep a watch over you today... if their little discussion in your living room was anything to go by.

  You were currently making breakfast while things got heated in the next room. Well, Formaggio was getting heated. Illuso was antagonizing him, being nitpicky about his appearance, his height, and even personality. You felt a little bad, but not as much since they were making your life very difficult.

"Alright, go already," Formaggio said. "Just go back and give your report or whatever jackass."

Illuso, who was still enjoying himself way too much, let out a snarky laugh. You could tell that he finally left when the living room grew quiet. Until Formaggio let out a dramatic sigh that is.

  'I wonder what's in store for me today,' you thought as you took a bite of food. 'There's no way he could be worse than Illuso was. Maybe just as annoying... but at least he wouldn't be stalking me with mirrors.' That reminded you. Illuso had some strange power you had never seen from a ghost before, and you had thought about the others possibly having their own, though you hadn't seen anything particularly out of the ordinary from the other ghosts besides their sense of 'fashion.'

  "Mmm, (breakfast item)." You quickly broke out of your thoughts to see Formaggio had come into the room at some point and was currently staring at your plate. You couldn't tell if your little startled jump was noticeable enough but if it was, he didn't act like it.

  Speaking of food, what was up with their names? Most of them had been food related, save for Illuso. 'Hmm, Formaggio... cheese,' you took in the man's appearance while he was focused on obsessing over your breakfast. Particularly at the holes you saw last night. You grimaced, 'Swiss cheese.' Somehow it fit a little too much, but you couldn't stomach looking at the holes longer. The blood that had seeped out when he had died remained in a sort of static state, his appearance a testament to his last moments. You preferred to keep what you had already eaten down and you were beginning to feel a bit nauseous.

  However, you felt at least a little sad for him. He looked like he had been gunned down and had someone try to cremate him. Another reminder that you shouldn't let your guard down around him either. As much as his eyes gleamed like an excited child while looking at your breakfast, he was riddled with holes from what you could only assume was an incredibly powerful gun. 'Does it still hurt?' You wondered.