Part 5

The dimly lit hallway stretched out almost endlessly. Each step taken was silent and cautious, bare feet on plush carpet. She'd thought they'd all be asleep, but one man was crouched by the large window. He looked to be in pain, clutching his shirt above his heart. "Are you okay, mister eye patch?"

His gaze flickered to her. "I am. Please do not concern yourself with me, little one." The thirst plagued him terribly, but he would bear it without causing harm. Worrying about him shouldn't be on her mind. She'd been through so much already in her short life.

Jean's eye widened when her small hand swept under his bangs and touched his forehead.

"You're warm." Pale green irises swam with concern. "It's not fun being sick, so you should sleep and feel better, okay?"

Was he being visited by an angel among humans? The pain was the likely cause of the image, but her gentle voice and tender touch was not of this world. "Yes, you are correct."

Alara took his hand, tugging softly to prompt him to stand up, intent on seeing him to his bedroom. Like a marionette, Jean couldn't refuse her guidance and let her lead him down the hallway until he announced which room was his.

"Oh! I'll be right back!" And off she went before he'd gotten another word out.

Jean lowered his aching body down onto the edge of the bed. She did not belong in a place so dangerous, but the world itself was cruel. Was it his place to dictate where she might stay? His own struggle with being a vampire shouldn't be the reason that the girl was taken away from somewhere she already found happiness in.

His door creaked, signaling her return. "Sebastian made me some earlier, and it made me feel better!" Between her hands was a mug with steam rising from the tea. She gingerly placed it on the nightstand. Once her hands were free, she whispered, "I put a little bit of sugar in it so it's sweet, but don't tell anyone!"

The butler had argued with her about how sugar wouldn't help make her better.

She giggled at her secret, watching the soldier take a long sip. It did little to quench his thirst for blood, but it soothed his soul. He'd be cautious of her, keep his distance, but he couldn't deny how seamlessly she'd fallen into place here within less than a few days.

"I'll go now so you can sleep. Feel better, okay?"

A ray of pure heavenly light in this dark and gloomy world.

Tiredness couldn't catch her. Instead of returning to her bedroom, the girl moved down the hallway, looking for any others who might be awake at this late hour. to her dismay, nearly all the doors were firmly closed with no signs of a resident being awake.

Save for one, cracked slightly and emitting warmth from the lit fireplace, drawing her in to peek through. Come sat in his chair with a stack of half sorted letters on the table beside him, scanning one before putting it on the disposal pile.

"You may come in, ma petite Cherie."

Alara slipped in, a curious expression on her features. The fire crackled in the silence. "How did you know it was me?" She was sure that he hadn't looked up at her. Unlike Oscar, speaking with him didn't frighten her. His presence calming, overflowing with tenderness and care.

"You have the smallest steps of all who reside here," he answered with a gentle smile. Comte absentmindedly wondered how she'd blossom here, having a home where she feared nothing, yearned for nothing.

And how she might bring together his residents. Unbeknownst to her, the girl was surrounded by the greatest men in history. Her education wouldn't be lacking, being taught by them. And they would surely learn from her as well, even if they didn't realize it.