Wattpad Original
There are 2 more free parts

Chapter 3: Escape

Chapter 3: Escape

Hinintay kong maging tahimik ang lahat bago lumabas ng kwarto. I had to make sure the rest of the students in the dorm were already in their classes. Bumaba ako sa tahimik na common room, floors washed with light from the gigantic glass windows. I sneaked like a rat out of the building.

I had a fair share of luxury views because of lola's properties, but the academy was a whole other level of magnificence. It was like living in a fairytale picture book where I was a background character who ended up having the princess' face.

The sky was radiant this morning. Thin clouds rolled like cotton on the clear sky. The tips of the castle's towers glimmered under the sun. The campus was too wide for my short strides. Kalahating oras din akong naglakad, walking through courtyards, passing hedges and fountains habang naghahanap ng daan palabas.

Nakarating ako sa dulong bahagi ng campus nang hindi namamalayan. I'd been too absorbed with the scenery to realize I was in the secluded part of the campus. Isang maliit na gate ang makikita sa dulo ng mabato at mabuhangin na daan, hidden by untamed bushes and piles of mossy rocks.

I shoved my worries aside and decided to head for the gate. It was my best option to at least get to somewhere. Dahan-dahan kong tinulak ang kinakalawang na gate until it creaked open enough for me to squeeze myself out.

Once I stepped outside, I was ambushed by thick thorn bushes and wild trees. They pricked my skin and the leaves with ragged edges brushed my face. Mukhang matagal nang hindi nagagamit ang daan na ito.

I protected my face from the rough leaves at hinawi ang matinik na halaman sa daraanan ko gamit ang maliit na patpat. It took me several minutes of hiking down the slope hanggang sa narating ko ang bungad ng bayan.

I walked a little bit more along the street lined with cottages and charming gardens until I reached the town square. I stood in the middle, surrounded by people...alive, walking, chatting, going on their normal day. There was a fountain in the middle of the square where kids were running around, chasing each other.

The town was alive.

Pero paano? Sigurado akong ito ang lugar na natagpuan ko sa loob ng gubat. The towers, the buildings, everything...was supposed to be abandoned.

"Miss..."

Isang lalaki ang tumawag sa 'kin mula sa fountain. His head was covered in a cloak sewn together by different fabric. I couldn't see his face clearly, but I assumed he was old.

"Estudyante ka ba ng Mirren Academy?"

He looked at the direction of the academy where the castle was visible behind the top of the trees. The man had a raspy voice, maybe from old age or bad habits. I managed to smile and walked away nang hindi sumasagot. If there was one thing I learned from my nineteen years of living, it was not to trust strangers. He could be scamming me for all I know.

"Hindi ka taga-rito sa mundong ito..."

Tumigil ako sa paghakbang. As much as I wanted to keep my composure and acted like I belong here, I failed. Muli akong humarap sa lalaki. "How do you know?"

Sumilay ang ngiti sa labi ng lalaki sa ilalim ng kanyang hood. "May barya ka ba, Miss?"

Barya? Pera? I didn't have money. I didn't even know what kind of currency they used here. I bit my lower lip, trying to decide if I could trust the stranger. He might have answers to my questions. Maybe he could help me leave.

Someone stood between me and the old man and placed a candy on his waiting hand. It was the guy from the infirmary. "Stop scamming students, you old hag."