Two Crossroads

Stay Alert. The big moral crossroads in life may not come labeled as such.
- George Saunders

They left for the Shelter again, Betty in the lead.

'Betty, why are you so obsessed with Lia- this King?' Alexandra asked, when she could no longer contain herself. 

'I've heard that often.' Betty said, with the air of a war veteran, 'I don't know why ... everyone is. Until they are fourteen, we don't hear much of the Princes. They say till then, is for training them, polishing them. Only when they are fifteen, do they come out for public and ever since, he's had everybody's approval. He did visit a lot of places: the poorest shackles, the dirtiest slums. It was hard work, I must say. He was the only son, he didn't need the people's support, the throne was his already. But he still went for it, trying to understand our problems, our lives. Two years ago, he ascended the throne. Did I mention how many people at that time thought he was arrogant and unworthy? Quite a few Vedessans themselves! The wealthy felt threatened by his inclination towards us. But as I said, even as a prince he was everyone's favorite. He must have done something to win them over too, something I don't know of. The then king... I think his name was Ethan. Now he wasn't so fond of the Prince. However, King Liam ... he has this aura. I'm not kidding, he has it, that's why we say he is divine. You might hate him, you might love him. But you cannot ignore him. And if it was only the personality, it could be understandable. But even his work. So fine, so well done. He doesn't miss a thing!' She exclaimed.

Now, Alexandra did agree. Even now, she could hear the March and the chants, the unrelenting voices. Perhaps it would carry on for the whole day. She didn't feel Liam was any divine of sorts, it was only the poor who saw him that way... the poor saw any benefactor as a godsend. She just realized that Liam had something there wasn't in Doveland: loyalty.

When the Shelter came into view, the first thing they saw was some commotion at the door. The children of the Shelter were spilling out, a tall man with a fierce moustache and a sword attached to his belt stood at the gate. He was arguing with Mother Diana.

'...but why don't you give it to me?! I will give to Mabel! She has gone to the March!' Mother Diana exclaimed.

'No!' The guard declared. 'I have my orders, directly by the King himself, I shall hand it to no one but Mabel. I have to make sure she reads it. And - take the scroll back to His Majesty thereafter, with her consent or refusal.'

'I get you, Sir, but you can leave it with me! I will make sure no one but she reads it!' Mother Diana argued.

'Mother Diana!' Called Betty, 'We're here!'

'Are you Mabel?' The messenger asked Betty.

'No, I'm not. She is Mabel.' Betty said, pointing to Alexandra

He handed her a scroll, 'From the king.' He said rudely. Alexandra took it and broke the seal. Inside was a letter, in a loopy hand, asking her to come to the palace gardens after the feast and assuring her it would be safe. But the last part was peculiar:

You know you are not meant to stay in a Shelter forever. You are no longer a Princess. And because you are in Vedessa, you have to rebuild your life. The state will demand certain things of you: service, and loyalty. My conscience asks me to direct you. No help - only direction. You have a choice, remember, when I said we will see, it's time to see. I repeat, it will be safe - I give you my word. I repeat, I intend to do no favor. I'm obeying my conscience, and you must obey yours. And if it tells you so, I shall find you in the garden tonight. If you do not feel that necessary, tear up this sheet and blow it away. Live the way you want to. Do what your heart commands. And again, I'll give you my word, nobody (the Dovish) can touch you as long as you live in Vedessa.